Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XII | Kulemania runnin' wild, brother | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He's softer than diarrhea...and he doesn't do **** all for Geno tbh
If he is willing to come down from the $4 million price tag to $3 million then he is a perfectly fine third wheel on that line. If you get someone like Kulemin opposite of him then that line will be fine.

He's a decent player. But we need to get bigger and faster on the wing.

If we can do that, then fine. But if he doesn't get a deal tomorrow and is willing to sign for $3 million you won't find a better deal in FA. People are acting like he is Tanner Glass out there. He is as solid of a third wheel as you will find for that price.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He's softer than diarrhea...and he doesn't do **** all for Geno tbh

I hope the grinder-Sid/Geno-sniper model dies. Just put players with our centers who can get them the puck and can do something on their own when their center is being double and triple covered.

You'll see Sid and Geno back in 40-50 goal form.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You say you like Bennett, but then you make comments like this where it seems like you want him to be injured so you can be right. I don't get your deal.

For some reason, I thought his rehabbing stint was coinciding with Maatta and DPs. I didn't realize the latest news is that he'll be ready for training camp. I could see him putting up 40 points if he clicks with Malkin, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach knock him down to the third line also.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It would be a real shame if we re-signed our leading goal scorer in the playoffs.

Juice was an amazing enigma. He was HORRIBLE but then would pot goals. Most of them were easy tap ins or luck. I'm not sure if you can chalk that up to being in the right position, I guess somewhat you have to... but I've never seen some one score so many goals while being the most useless player on the ice.

I dont dislike the guy at all, but his play in the playoffs left me uninspired with him going foward despite his goals.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If he is willing to come down from the $4 million price tag to $3 million then he is a perfectly fine third wheel on that line. If you get someone like Kulemin opposite of him then that line will be fine.

If we can do that, then fine. But if he doesn't get a deal tomorrow and is willing to sign for $3 million you won't find a better deal in FA. People are acting like he is Tanner Glass out there. He is as solid of a third wheel as you will find for that price.

I would do a 2 year deal worth a total of 6M. He'd want more than that though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The circumstances under which the Penguins were able to bring in Jokinen were ideal (kudos to Shero, there). Now that that has run it's course and he wants paid his full market value again... time to part ways. I like Jokinen but he's just not the kind of player that you invest in if you are cap-strapped. Fair or not... it hasn't worked out well for the other teams he's played for.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I'd rather go for some one else, who plays a bit of a bigger game, can score, can get the puck to our stars and still be hard nosed. And we really need a new mix in this room, JJ might not be a problem but we need other voices. More vocal ones

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

See my post below. I just think we need to change the way our supporting cast is built. They should be doing things to support Sid and Geno. Not looking for open space all the time and trying tic tac to plays.

Don't disagree though if Jokinen would sign for close to 3, he'd be a damn good steal in FA. I think a team in dire need of goal scoring like Phoenix will snatch him up.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Apparently there is a lot of interest in him, so the price tag is probably going to be higher than what I'd like to pay for a bottom-6 forward.

I mean if we moved Scuds, Sutter and Dupuis, we could get Komarov at 1.75 and run

Komarov-Spals-BB

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Apparently there is a lot of interest in him, so the price tag is probably going to be higher than what I'd like to pay for a bottom-6 forward.

I hear ya. But if you want a guy with jam who's hard to play against, it's gonna cost you no matter what.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hear ya. But if you want a guy with jam who's hard to play against, it's gonna cost you no matter what.

You can trade for a guy like Nolan at 700k though. And I don't think there's a huge difference between them. Certainly not enough to warrant the 2 million dollar disparity in caphit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Our bottom 6 is already jammed and as much as I like Komarov, he just wouldn't fit.

Our bottom 6 is lacking jam and it is not yet jammed. He is the guy to overpay for in your bottom 6. Obviously it needs to be somewhat reasonable, but I would love to have him.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I'm not taking the time to run this through capgeek but here is way I'm looking at (also Dupuis on the 1st line is not ideal and people will be mad at me but he's probably there to start the season so no use freaking out about it)

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis/Bennett
Kulemin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Komarov/Bennett/Dupuis
Sill/Gibbons/Megna-Vitale/Goc-Komarov/Bennett/Dupuis
Adams/whoever isnt picked above

Letang-Martin
Maatta-(somebody in FA idk, no use guessing)
Bortuzzo-Dumo/Harrington/Sam

Fleury-Zatkoff

hopefully Scuderi is gone somehow. Thats my assumption

Our bottom 6 is already jammed and as much as I like Komarov, he just wouldn't fit.
couldnt be further from the truth

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
For some reason, I thought his rehabbing stint was coinciding with Maatta and DPs. I didn't realize the latest news is that he'll be ready for training camp. I could see him putting up 40 points if he clicks with Malkin, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach knock him down to the third line also.

He'd have to fail out of a spot next to Geno based on where the depth chart is at (assuming Kulemin signs).

That said, I do think you're right that anybody expecting 25 goals from Bennett is probably being unrealistic. Far more likely to get that out of Kulemin, and I wouldn't expect that from him either.

On the bright side, that line should be playing far better fundamental hockey. 2 wings that can forecheck and cycle is way better than zero.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Our bottom 6 is lacking jam and it is not yet jammed. He is the guy to overpay for in your bottom 6. Obviously it needs to be somewhat reasonable, but I would love to have him.

I think we're talking $3 million or thereabouts. Toronto offered him something like $2.5 and he declined.

I love Komarov, but that's a bit much for what he does.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
The fact that Zatkoff is on a one-way deal just means he gets paid the same whether he's in the NHL or the AHL, not that he continues to count against the cap if he gets demoted. Correct?

I think Al Montoya is a guy that would be interesting as a back-up/potential stop-gap starter for the next couple years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jokinen, even at a good cap hit, would be going in the opposite direction in terms of what we just accomplished with the Neal trade and rumors of guys like Moss and Kulemin. If this team is looking for wingers with complete games, that contribute in all 3 zones and play playoff-styles, regardless of their history of playoff production, Jokinen isn't it. If we're looking to build our team a certain way, we can't go against that just because a guy is willing to take a decent cap hit.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Komarov has put up 9 points in the NHL and people are willing to give him $3 million? We need more production out of the 3rd line than what he is going to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00