Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XII | Kulemania runnin' wild, brother | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

K, I really do love the guy, but man that right dot is going to get taken away from him soon :laugh:

He hasn't played well outside of AZ and has stretches where he is a ghost. If we are paying him 4.5-ish million dollars a year to roll the dice and hope he plays like the player in AZ I'd rather just save some $$$ and sign JJ and save a million or so dollars and you get a player you know will work here a produce at the same clip or out produce a FA signing with a ton of question marks next to him.

To be fair, he'll be playing with Geno. Dupuis can score 20+ with Sid, I think a sniper like Vrbata can hit 25 at the least. I don't think it'll be 4.5, more like 3.75-4

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Was Hornqvist brought in to play with Malkin?

I don't get where this idea that Bennett is a goal scorer is coming from? When has he ever demonstrated he is the guy with the shot on a line? He can pick a corner with a nice wrister, but all of his great plays have been because of hockey sense and knowing where to pass the puck. I don't see him putting up 35+ assists next season, especially if he is playing a top six position. You don't see what are essentially rookies putting up that kind of season.
Malkin can score 40+ under the right conditions np. So yeah, Bennett can easily get 40+ assists over a full season (if healthy) on his wing. If BB sees powerplay time in the left circle especially. Bennett's our most talented playmaker that isn't a generational talent, and it's not even close.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Malkin can score 40+ under the right conditions np. So yeah, Bennett can easily get 40+ assists over a full season (if healthy) on his wing. If BB sees powerplay time in the left circle especially. Bennett's our most talented playmaker that isn't a generational talent, and it's not even close.

Malkin can also go a month without scoring a goal when he has new line mates. I could see Kulemin - Malkin - Bennett helping Kulemin to maybe hit 20+ goals. Malkin to hit 30+ and BB to maybe chip in 40 points. Also, it is going to be tough for BB to put up 50 points when he is most likely rehabbing into the winter.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Would he complain if he knew that he would be the starter in 15-16? It would be a 1A-1B situation where Reimer takes over the net when Fleury leaves. He wants out of Toronto because they're going with Bernier long term. He may only have to wait 1 year to be a starter here. There aren't that many teams that he would be a starter on.

Bennett would only be a 40 point player in a full season along Crosby? Yeah, okay.

Then let's just make him the starter now and use the cap space for Fleury to fill out the rest of the roster (not that I really want him just saying).

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Malkin can also go a month without scoring a goal when he has new line mates. I could see Kulemin - Malkin - Bennett helping Kulemin to maybe hit 20+ goals. Malkin to hit 30+ and BB to maybe chip in 40 points. Also, it is going to be tough for BB to put up 50 points when he is most likely rehabbing into the winter.

Watching Johnston's Portland team play last winter on FSN Pittsburgh, he likes up- tempo offensive minded hockey, so those on here that want this team to light up the scoreboard are very likely to get to see just that. Any projected goal & point totals for those playing for Johnston are very likely to increase.

Karnage420*

FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Nick Spaling ($1.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.250m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jordan Nolan ($0.700m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.800m) / David Moss ($1.250m)
Adam Payerl ($0.627m) / Jayson Megna ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
James Reimer ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Craig Adams ($0.233m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,684,167; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $315,833

It can easily be done.
love everything except reimer. hes literally fleury 2.0, now clue why we want him anywhere near this team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You say you like Bennett, but then you make comments like this where it seems like you want him to be injured so you can be right. I don't get your deal.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Nick Spaling ($1.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.250m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jordan Nolan ($0.700m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.800m) / David Moss ($1.250m)
Adam Payerl ($0.627m) / Jayson Megna ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.375m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.605m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
James Reimer ($1.600m)
BUYOUTS
Craig Adams ($0.233m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,684,167; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $315,833

It can easily be done.

I don't hate it. Curious though why everyone seems to be penciling Horny in with Geno already?? Given JR's comments re: Geno's wingers, I'd think we'd be more likely to see a top-6 of:

Kunitz - Sid - Horny
FA - Geno - Bennett/FA

Unless we get Kulemin, Michalek, or Hemsky, in which case I can see it:

Kunitz - Sid - Hemsky
Kulemin/Michalek - Geno - Horny

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
Be aggressive in getting rid of the dead wood. Dupuis, Adams, Scuderi, Sutter plus all of the UFA's should be gone, get what you can. Listen to offers on Martin, but don't trade him just because. Think about what to do about Fleury. Listen to what his contract demands will be for re-signing. Can we save money? Will he take a paycut to stay?

Trade Sutter. We have a cheaper version of him in Spaling and we certainly don't need two of them...

Get another top-six winger alongside Kulemin. Let Bennett be the driving offensive force on the third line. Let the kids play on D. Prepare to have flexibility for 2015-16 where you could for example replace Kunitz with a younger version. As Kulemin gets older and Bennett gets better, let them switch lines in the top nine.

You traded James Neal. No reason to not go all-in with the re-tooling now.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
love everything except reimer. hes literally fleury 2.0, now clue why we want him anywhere near this team.

Reimer has played 1 playoff series in his career and had a .923 SV%. That is basically the opposite of Fleury (almost no playoff experience and decent in the one series he played).

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't hate it. Curious though why everyone seems to be penciling Horny in with Geno already?? Given JR's comments re: Geno's wingers, I'd think we'd be more likely to see a top-6 of:

Kunitz - Sid - Horny
FA - Geno - Bennett/FA

Unless we get Kulemlin, Michalek, or Hemsky, in which case I can see it:

Kunitz - Sid - Hemsky

I'm thinking we sign 2 top 6 forwards...but I'm surprisingly optimistic for FA...Kuli is a foregone conclusion in my head..and I really do think one of Hemsky, Vrbata and Cammy will be here.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Retweeted by Jesse Marshall
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 48s
Source told LeBrun Jussi Jokinen offered to re-sign w/ #Pens for $4 million per, but team felt it was too much.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Jokinen was looking for a $4M/yr from the Pens. I think I speak for everyone here when I say nice knowing you, Juice.

Jussi Jokinen hits the market Tuesday as it appears the Penguins won’t be re-signing him.

A source told ESPN.com that Jokinen’s camp offered to re-sign for $4 million a year, a raise over the $3 million he made this past year, but the cap-challenged Penguins feel it’s too much money.

Jokinen’s agent Todd Diamond wouldn’t divulge those kinds of details, only to say he still hoped to hear back from Pittsburgh before the market opened Tuesday.

"Our last conversation was that they would get back to us but we haven’t heard back yet," Diamond said Monday morning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31708/rumblings-brodeur-eager-to-go-on-market

LeBrun also says in the article he wouldn't be surprised if Niskanen ends up getting $6M/yr because of the sheer number of teams involved in the bidding. Some team will almost certainly offer him that much, though it wouldn't be surprising to see him take $5M/yr to play for a better team.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Kunitz - Sid - Horny
FA - Geno - Bennett/FA

Unless we get Kulemin, Michalek, or Hemsky, in which case I can see it:

Kunitz - Sid - Hemsky

Well not only JR's comments, but Botterill said that Hornqvist is a player that our pro scouts have been targeting for a couple of years. That to me says that they've been looking at him for Sid, since he's been the one without an acceptable RW the last couple of seasons.

Retweeted by Jesse Marshall
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 48s
Source told LeBrun Jussi Jokinen offered to re-sign w/ #Pens for $4 million per, but team felt it was too much.

Awesome.

penguins2946*

I would be willing to go $3.5 million per on a 2 year deal for Jokinen, as long as we could also bring in Kulemin. Why is he disliked here so much?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I would be willing to go $3.5 million per on a 2 year deal for Jokinen, as long as we could also bring in Kulemin. Why is he disliked here so much?

Cause he reminds me of this:

0003700028588_500X500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad