Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-Building XII | Kulemania runnin' wild, brother | UFA/TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You can trade for a guy like Nolan at 700k though. And I don't think there's a huge difference between them. Certainly not enough to warrant the 2 million dollar disparity in caphit.

Nolan's big and pretty physical, but Komarov's on another level. He had 176 hits in 42 games in '12-'13 and drove opponents absolutely nuts without taking many penalties. Also finished 1st on his KHL team in scoring so there's some offensive upside too, at least in terms of a bottom 6 guy.

When fans of an opposition team ask to have a guy painted on their steps so they can stomp him every night, you know he's done his job :laugh::

article_e0b28a36-ba22-4d34-b0f7-4851b71d1cb1.jpg

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Jokinen, even at a good cap hit, would be going in the opposite direction in terms of what we just accomplished with the Neal trade and rumors of guys like Moss and Kulemin. If this team is looking for wingers with complete games, that contribute in all 3 zones and play playoff-styles, regardless of their history of playoff production, Jokinen isn't it. If we're looking to build our team a certain way, we can't go against that just because a guy is willing to take a decent cap hit.

True, but you do need to have some hands in the top 6 too, and it's not like Jussi is lazy, he always tries hard he's just not big, tough or fast.

A lot of his goals came from close to the net he's not a wimpy permieter guy, but he can also snipe and one-time the puck. Those are elements the line-up is lacking without him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think we're talking $3 million or thereabouts. Toronto offered him something like $2.5 and he declined.

I love Komarov, but that's a bit much for what he does.

Oh ****, yeah I wasn't aware he was going for that much. I would pass too.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He'd have to fail out of a spot next to Geno based on where the depth chart is at (assuming Kulemin signs).

That said, I do think you're right that anybody expecting 25 goals from Bennett is probably being unrealistic. Far more likely to get that out of Kulemin, and I wouldn't expect that from him either.

On the bright side, that line should be playing far better fundamental hockey. 2 wings that can forecheck and cycle is way better than zero.

I love Bennett and I don't think he's a 25 goal scorer. With Geno and Kule, if that's the line, I would expect to see 15-20 goals, 25-35 assists.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Jokinen, even at a good cap hit, would be going in the opposite direction in terms of what we just accomplished with the Neal trade and rumors of guys like Moss and Kulemin. If this team is looking for wingers with complete games, that contribute in all 3 zones and play playoff-styles, regardless of their history of playoff production, Jokinen isn't it. If we're looking to build our team a certain way, we can't go against that just because a guy is willing to take a decent cap hit.

Yes we can. Not all players have to play the same way. Having one floater like Jokinen is fine. Having 2 on Geno's line isn't. There may be better options out there, but if we strike out on those and Jokinen is around a 2 years 3per, I'd take it.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still havent seen any evidence to suggest that Dupuis, Scuds, and Adams aren't going to be in the lineup.

RJ wants another vet defensemen. Why ship out the oldest one of all?

Adams is signed. He's not been traded or bought out yet.

Dupuis should of went in the draft for a low round pick but didn't. I don't see us getting back a roster player for him and his contract. And we are still missing 2 top 6 wings and we can probably only get 1 from free agency.

Sutter's rights werent dealt so I guess we are signing him for 3.5ish, ties up cap room for wingers.

Likely that Dupuis will start top 6. Adams on that 4th line and Scuds in the 3rd pairing. Would like to see some realistic lines.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes we can. Not all players have to play the same way. Having one floater like Jokinen is fine. Having 2 on Geno's line isn't. There may be better options out there, but if we strike out on those and Jokinen is around a 2 years 3per, I'd take it.

I'd also argue that Jokinen is a pretty fine defensive player. He doesn't play the body or forecheck, but he was a good player when it came to breaking out and back checking.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nolan's big and pretty physical, but Komarov's on another level. He had 176 hits in 42 games in '12-'13 and drove opponents absolutely nuts without taking many penalties. Also finished 1st on his KHL team in scoring so there's some offensive upside too, at least in terms of a bottom 6 guy.

When fans of an opposition team ask to have a guy painted on their steps so they can stomp him every night, you know he's done his job :laugh::

article_e0b28a36-ba22-4d34-b0f7-4851b71d1cb1.jpg

We need to fill a hole or two in the top 6. That's a priority. If there's money left over to bring him in while having a legitimate bottom six, great.

Paying him near 3 mil is a bit insane IMO. But I suppose if there is a player to overpay for being a physical pest, it'd be him.

I think we're after players with size and some skill, but not necessarily physical demons.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jokinen isn't going to take 3M per. Or, at least... not on anything but a decent-term contract. Which is probably even more risky than just paying him the extra million, short term.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I don't want Jokinen back for 3 mil

Nor do I. And I stuck up for him as much as anyone last year at 2.1.

He really needs to play center, and there are enough teams that could use a poor man's 2C or depth scoring for lack of a true 1C or 2C.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
The fact that Zatkoff is on a one-way deal just means he gets paid the same whether he's in the NHL or the AHL...

Correct.

...not that he continues to count against the cap if he gets demoted. Correct?

Correct in this instance. His cap hit is low enough that it wouldn't count against the ceiling if he cleared waivers and went to Wilkes-Barre.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Can Spaling actually play C? I thought he was mainly a winger who could fill in C if there was an injury. Third line center is too important of a position to go into the season with a guy playing out of position.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I love Bennett and I don't think he's a 25 goal scorer. With Geno and Kule, if that's the line, I would expect to see 15-20 goals, 25-35 assists.

Justin Williams didn't score 20 recently. The guy just won a Conn Smythe. Bennett has the skill, size and willingness to use it to be a productive player. And he's the perfect example of what the coaching staff wants in their wingers from here on out.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd also argue that Jokinen is a pretty fine defensive player. He doesn't play the body or forecheck, but he was a good player when it came to breaking out and back checking.

Yup and he is a good positional player. To be honest, I think he is a good fit with Malkin-Kulemin. He can be a Neal-lite in terms of scoring without the headcase. I get why people are leery of him, but if it's around 3 on a 2-3 year deal, it might be the best bang for the buck out there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Can Spaling actually play C? I thought he was mainly a winger who could fill in C if there was an injury. Third line center is too important of a position to go into the season with a guy playing out of position.

it is my understanding that he can, in fact, play center. I've often wondered, when I'm all alone by myself at night, if Spaling is actually here to replace Brand Sutter.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Justin Williams didn't score 20 recently. The guy just won a Conn Smythe. Bennett has the skill, size and willingness to use it to be a productive player. And he's the perfect example of what the coaching staff wants in their wingers from here on out.

Agreed. All I was saying is expecting 25 goals is likely unrealistic in the short term.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We need to fill a hole or two in the top 6. That's a priority. If there's money left over to bring him in while having a legitimate bottom six, great.

Paying him near 3 mil is a bit insane IMO. But I suppose if there is a player to overpay for being a physical pest, it'd be him.

I think we're after players with size and some skill, but not necessarily physical demons.

Yeah the price tag could be out of our range. But he'd be great in a Ruutu/Cooke kind of way, without hurting us with bad penalties. The less opposition players are thinking about Sid and Geno, the better.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I still havent seen any evidence to suggest that Dupuis, Scuds, and Adams aren't going to be in the lineup.

RJ wants another vet defensemen. Why ship out the oldest one of all?

Adams is signed. He's not been traded or bought out yet.

Dupuis should of went in the draft for a low round pick but didn't. I don't see us getting back a roster player for him and his contract. And we are still missing 2 top 6 wings and we can probably only get 1 from free agency.

Sutter's rights werent dealt so I guess we are signing him for 3.5ish, ties up cap room for wingers.

Likely that Dupuis will start top 6. Adams on that 4th line and Scuds in the 3rd pairing.

Read somewhere that Rutherford's looking for 1 top 6 forward and 2 fourth liners tomorrow. If that's the case, Adams isn't in his plans. It also doesn't bode well that Rutherford ripped "4th liners who are double digit minuses" in his third or fourth sentence as GM.

Regarding Scuderi, the sheer volume of D Botterill suggested will get a chance (and the org's general lack of fear about their cap situation) indicates, to me at least, it's likely they've written him off. If not, he's just going to get benched. Everything Johnston says he doesn't like D to do (bank it off the glass, etc) are things Scuds does. Everything he wants D to do, Scuds doesn't (area passes, tape to tape, skating with the puck, activating).

More that I think about it, #9 is probably in s situation where, like Bennett on Malkin's right, he would need to fail out of a spot on Sutter's right. Moss makes sense as a target when you think of it that way. DM's not better than Dupuis has been, but neither is he a 4th line player, strictly speaking. I think Moss is an insurance policy for Pascal's knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad