Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Why isn't Sid allowed to play with guys under 30? :laugh:

I feel like Hornqvist will fit in better with Malkin and Kulemin in those lines, and Sid could use a sniper. I really like the sound of Kulemin-Malkin-Hornqvist.

4.5 for Vrbata is hella too much...but I could live with it...

When you see what others will be getting on the market, no it's not. He's a consistent 20 goal, 50 point winger since basically 2007. Those aren't going to be cheap. Hemsky is asking for $5 million or so, so I don't think $4.5 for Vrbata is high at all.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
What about the guy we just traded for that shares his birth year?

We don't want the Horny Kid line :sarcasm:

No, Horny will def fit better with Geno IMO too.

He seems like a Kuni 2.0, no point having 2 of em on the same line.

I feel like Hornqvist will fit in better with Malkin and Kulemin in those lines, and Sid could use a sniper. I really like the sound of Kulemin-Malkin-Hornqvist.

When you see what others will be getting on the market, no it's not. He's a consistent 20 goal, 50 point winger since basically 2007. Those aren't going to be cheap. Hemsky is asking for $5 million or so, so I don't think $4.5 for Vrbata is high at all.

I'm more leaning towards round 3.75. But if 4.5 gets it done, so be it

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Interesting.

But the change will be cultural, too. And there will be no exceptions, not even Crosby and Malkin. When I asked the people at that table, for example, if Hornqvist could play with Malkin, the unanimous -- and strikingly passionate -- response was that Crosby and Malkin both need to do more to improve their linemates rather than vice versa.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Every one of your lineups are really flawed.

Vrbata will get more than 3.25m
Spaling will get more than 1.5m
Schultz couldn't hold a job as the 7th D... we sure as **** do not want him in our top 4. Also, why the **** are we signing another 2nd paring D (which Schultz isn't) when we have all our young guys wasting away in the minors, AND your proposing to keep Scuderi?!
Steckel is way too slow. Might as well just keep Vitale than sign him.
Bolland wants term. And why would he sign here when someone who desperately needs c depth (Edm?) will give him a chance in the top 6?

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nick Spaling ($1.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.750m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / David Steckel ($0.750m) / Jack Skille ($0.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Jeff Schultz ($1.200m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($1.200m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
LTIR
Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,755,792; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $244,208

And that's my last one

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
The Penguins are optimistic they will eventually sign Fleury to a new deal, but talks with his representatives are unlikely to intensify before the regular season. General manager Jim Rutherford has said he is a fan of Fleury, who has won at least 35 games in six of nine seasons since assuming the No. 1 goalie position.

Fleury, 29, has expressed a strong desire to remain with the Penguins. He currently carries at $5 million salary-cap hit.

Martin, 33, also has a $5 million cap hit — and he was rated by the previous coaching staff as the Penguins' top defenseman the past two seasons.

However, the Penguins believe Martin prefers to test free agency next summer. Also, Rutherford believes it is time to start playing the most NHL-ready among the franchise's crop of top defensive prospects.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...etang-contract?showmobile=false#axzz35uTCnPeO

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
We don't want the Horny Kid line :sarcasm:

No, Horny will def fit better with Geno IMO too.

He seems like a Kuni 2.0, no point having 2 of em on the same line.

I just don't get that at all. Kunitz doesn't play like Hornqvist. And wasn't part of the rational for Kulemin coming here in the past because he could play the Kunitz role on the Geno/Neal line? By the transitive property wouldn't you essentially be arguing that Hornqvist and Kulemin are too similar?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If he's in camp... he's already up, and needs to clear to be sent down. I don't think they can start with him in WBS without having to go through waivers.

I believe the exact rule is you need you need to send them down like 10 or 12 days prior to the start of the season, and after that the waiver rules kick in for the waiver eligible guys. So we can have him in camp, and even the first couple pre-season games, but then he'd need to go down.

(discussing Ulf Jr.)

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting.

But the change will be cultural, too. And there will be no exceptions, not even Crosby and Malkin. When I asked the people at that table, for example, if Hornqvist could play with Malkin, the unanimous -- and strikingly passionate -- response was that Crosby and Malkin both need to do more to improve their linemates rather than vice versa.

Sid and Geno need to play better but I disagree strongly with the point that article made. Sid and Geno need more help from their linemates, not the other way around.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm so split on that. On one hand, it's absolutely awesome that they want to play the young D full time. Sounds do refreshing compared to the old regime. However, Martin walking would be terrible and I don't want to re-sign Fleury until he proves he can play in the playoffs again.

Seconded on all of that.

So help me god if Fleury gets re-signed after one playoffs of not being an embarrassment to his profession.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Sid and Geno need to play better but I disagree strongly with the point that article made. Sid and Geno need more help from their linemates, not the other way around.

I think the author got that backwards. JR keeps saying he needs to get Sid some help. That's why we are collectively assuming PH is for Sid, and then JR said he'll get someone to satisfy Geno in FA.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

It also didn't make sense in the context. I don't think the answer to the question "Can Hornqvist play with Geno?" is "Sid and Geno need to do more to improve their linemates."

I feel like it was worded poorly or Dejan misunderstood. I mean, Burkle was at that table and in DK's interview, Burkle and Mario kept talking about how they need to help Sid more.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

That quote is really, really concerning to me. I can't believe that the FO would actually think that way, and let it get out. I'd be interested to hear what more Crosby could've done with Kunitz and Dupuis; was there another Olympic team that Kunitz didn't make?

steelcity24

Jan 31, 2011
Just curious what people think our realistic options are with Scuds and or Dupuis. I personally would rather see Duper held for strictly a 3rd line roll and be able to move up incase of an injury. But Scuds was awful last year and shedding his salary seems necessary in order to completely fill out this roster top to bottom while also allowing a young d-man of ours step in and show us what they got. I am just wondering what people think are viable options at this point. Buy out? If we could trade him who are some possible destinations and what could we expect to get back (not that the return necessarily matters at this point lol).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Outside of Crosby/Kunitz treating Bennett like ****, I can't think of one instance where Sid/Geno didn't get the max out of their linemates?

In fact, I think they've sucked multiple rocks dry.

I would also say that a lot of this falls on Bylsma and Shero.

They were BOTH surrounded by one type of player (Sid uncreative speed, Geno softer snipers). I mean, you can't give them apples and expect them to make grape juice.

Ask more of Sid and Geno, but either ask something that makes sense, or give them the tools they need.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The thing is that the Pens need to become more balanced. I love Martin, but they do need to start playing and developing the kids, and Martin could bring a very good forward, perhaps younger, who could be a solution long term, in return.

It would pretty much leave us with the following, absent a FA signing or trade, to try out in the regular season:

Kris Letang
Rob Scuderi
Robert Bortuzzo
Simon Despres
Derrick Pouliot
Scott Harrington
Brian Dumoulin

Weaker on defense without Martin? Certainly. However imagine what that extra $5 million on wing, and who it would bring in trade, to counterbalance that. Depth up and down the lineup offensively would make up for the drop defensively and would finally start developing these kids. If we do not start now, when?

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
That quote is really, really concerning to me. I can't believe that the FO would actually think that way, and let it get out. I'd be interested to hear what more Crosby could've done with Kunitz and Dupuis; was there another Olympic team that Kunitz didn't make?

I'll echo what WF has said. I'm willing to bet Dejan attributed too much weight to a throwaway line and ignored the more important statements. When will people stop freaking out over Trib swill?

sometimes Dejan is alright (see the Burkle/Mario sitdown) and sometimes he's the author of columns calling for Sid to be striped of the C. The media in this town really get off on denigrating Sid and/or Geno.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Oops, sorry, I didn't see people were already discussing that quote. I'm blind and I can't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad