Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't like any line-ups with Scuderi. I like line-ups with Scuderi AND another d-signing even less. It makes no sense. We need to let these kids play. The only way it makes sense to sign a d-man is if we move Scuds out.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nick Spaling ($1.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.750m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / David Steckel ($0.750m) / Jack Skille ($0.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Jeff Schultz ($1.200m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,274,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,725,042

Better?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.250m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Nick Spaling ($1.500m) / Dave Bolland ($4.750m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / David Steckel ($0.750m) / Jack Skille ($0.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Simon Despres ($1.200m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Jeff Schultz ($1.200m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,274,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,725,042

Better?

absolutely.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Westgarth is not my personal target as an enforcer. I felt bad for him when Luke Gazdic demolished him in their fight. I'd prefer to get someone who is younger, and has the ability to improve their game. Jamie Devane makes too much sense. He skates well for a big man, he hits hard, fights like a heavyweight, and isn't too shabby defensively. Devane competes hard, and drives to the net.

After Toronto decided not to select Nick Ritchie with their first round pick, I am convinced that they are leaning towards skill players, and the tough mentality that they had is gone. Devane might be expandable with David Broll and Tyler Biggs in their organization.

Yeah, I was stunned SEVERAL teams passed on Ritchie yesterday, starting with Carolina and on down until Anaheim at 10. I was even thinking Calgary would take him at 4, but I guess Bennett was simply too good to pass up. But Calgary then took Smith today and traded for Bollig, so you know they thought long and hard about Ritchie.

I think you're right about Toronto. Nonis isn't Burke at all when it comes to toughness. I'd love to pry Devane away from them.

I wonder if we could get Devane for Craig Adams? That would be awesome.

I don't necessarily think you need a dedicated guy like that, a tough role-player should be enough. That said, Chicago doesn't have one, as they just traded Bollig. Unless they sign someone else, I think there's a good chance they start the season without one.

If you want a decent role-player who can fight, Patrick Bordeleau is an option.

How is Bordeleau an option? He is signed for two more years at $1 million and Patrick Roy loves him.

If the money is roughly similar between Hemsky, Vrbata and Iginla, I'd take Iggy back first. Yeah he's slowing down but he still scores 30 on defense-first teams. And, he has more edge. He's harder to play against than the other two. We're too soft. We need more guys who don't make life easy on opponents. Less Jokinen's.

On a similar note, I would still contact Saku Koivu and see if he's still interested in playing. Can't think of a better fourth-line center. Still quite hard to line up against.

Plus he can mentor Kapanen. :sarcasm:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't mind Fayne as a player and maybe him and Scuds could become a shutdown pair for us.

Steckel is amazing at faceoffs and JR was going off about how we need more puck possession from our 4th line so he's the best FO man that came to mind

They also need puck possession from their defensemen...and Scuderi would not contribute to that....whatsoever. Scuderi would not be apart of any "shutdown pair" :shakehead

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I couldn't tell you a single thing about Colin Fraser other than that he's a person that exists. If someone said that name to me out of context, I would recognize it but not necessarily as a hockey player.

I know nothing either...other than he might be available lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Glass and Adams were big issues, too. Glass seemed rather angry at his benching, and he seemed to have a sense of entitlement. I suppose Bylsma planted that in him, but still.

It SHOULD be a different, VASTLY different room next year.

Bringing in a Kulemin is good for the room, imo. It reminds the room one more time how important Geno is to this franchise. When guys are brought in with direct ties to our two superstars, it can only be a good thing for the hierarchical structure of the dressing room.

What about Iggy, though? Should we give him another try? Wouldn't the sequel be much better under Johnston?

I wonder if he falls under what Rutherford described as top-end, or is he a specific role?

I wouldn't be opposed to it. But we'd still have to move one of Dupuis/Sutter.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kulemin - Malkin - Iginla
Dupuis - Spaling - Bennett

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know nothing either...other than he might be available lol

so you don't know if he's better than Vitale? All I know is that Vitale was the best player on our 4th line for the majority of last season. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he isn't brought back, but if he comes cheap there are worse options.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
so you don't know if he's better than Vitale? All I know is that Vitale was the best player on our 4th line for the majority of last season. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he isn't brought back, but if he comes cheap there are worse options.

Tbh, I think they're probs equal. I just don't think Vitale is coming back after the bashing JR gave to the 4th line

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Glass and Adams were two of the bottom 5-10 players in the whole league. Being better than them isn't special. If Vitale is back, I'm fine with that. He's not great but he brings some assets to the table.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like it, but you do need some veterans. I'd rather see a cheap veteran defenseman as the 7th defenseman than a guy like Samuelsson. It'd probably do him better developing more in WBS than sitting on the bench.

I also think you'll see Dumoulin before Pouliot, not a guarantee, anything can happen, but I think as of right now, Dumoulin is NHL ready. I think a pairing of Dumoulin and Bortuzzo has a chance of being very good.

The fourth line is lacking a little, I'd honestly look for a little bit of an improvement there. I realize there isn't a lot of cap space, but I think we could do better.

Samuelsson would have to pass through waivers to go to WBS. And it's doubtful he clears. Start him in that role and see how the season plays out. If he shows enough, then he could be trade bait for that depth guy (instead of a 3rd/4th pick). There's also injuries where a player could be on LTIR to give the Pens time to sort out where exactly he fits.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wouldn't worry too much about specifics with numbers. Yohe didn't even get Sutter's caphit right. He won't command 4 unless he wants to go elsewhere. I thought maybe 3.75. Berglund at 3.7 should be his max.

I think they'll still try and land a top 4 RHD. And just roll with youth from there. Scuds would be moved if we could land one.

Berglund has also hit 20 goals 3 different times (and had 17 in 48 during the lockout) and hit 47 and 52 points in his 2 top seasons.

Sutter will get more than we'd like... but realistically it should be closer to 3m than 4m. If it's 4-5 yrs, I could handle 3.5m. Might make things tight now, but would be good for us long term. Doubt he wants to sign for that long here though.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Not sure who would pay that price for a 3rd liner who relies on speed and is coming off of a major knee injury. I don't know if he's even tradable at this point in time.

I get what you're saying but guys when guys like Dorsett, Polak, and Bollig get 2nd-4ths I gotta think someone would have taken a flyer on Duper.

penguins2946*

What I'm hoping for:

Kunitz (3.85)-Crosby (8.7)-Vrbata (4.5)
Kulemin (3)-Malkin (9.5)-Hornqvist (4.25)
Spaling (1.75)-Sutter (3.5)-Bennett (.9)
Clifford (1.075)-Malhotra (.9)-Megna (.8)
Sill (.6)-Nolan (.7)

Despres (1)-Letang (7.25)
Maatta (.9)-Martin (5)
Dumoulin (.8)-Bortuzzo (.6)
Samuelsson (.6)

Fleury (5)-Zatkoff (.6)

Total: $65.8 million
Cap space: $4.2 million

Bring in a veteran D at the deadline if we need it.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
What I'm hoping for:

Sill (.6)-Nolan (.7)

Maatta (.9)-Martin (5)
Samuelsson (.6)

Fleury (5)-Zatkoff (.6)

4.5 for Vrbata is hella too much...but I could live with it...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I was intrigued at the idea of bringing Iggy back, but after reading what a lot of Boston fans had to say about him I really cooled down on the idea.

Despite his excellent statistical season he was apparently pretty underwhelming for long stretches and didn't show up for the playoffs. They were not too upset to see him move on.

Bylsma gets a lot of justified blame for mis-using him but as many felt from watching him in a Pens sweater, he is definitely into the twilight of his career. I'd pass.

He's a funny player, I watched most of Boston's post season, and he really plays a lot like Neal. He floats around and looks for one-timers from the high slot, acts like he's allergic to the front of the net, and makes the occasional nifty pass. He doesn't play the boards at all, or well, same as we saw from him. He's just basically a floater who will threaten to punch people if they antagonize him enough, he sort of lost his sh#t on a few Habs there towards the end of their series. Not good discipline at all.

He's said to want a 2 year deal, and I just don't think he's a very useful player any more, especially in the playoffs. Horton was better suited to playoff hockey on that Bruins team, they lost a lot replacing him with Iggy.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
What I'm hoping for:

Sill (.6)-Nolan (.7)

Maatta (.9)-Martin (5)
Samuelsson (.6)

Fleury (5)-Zatkoff (.6)

Why isn't Sid allowed to play with guys under 30? :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Probably. So hopefully they can avoid bringing him up, I guess. He's probably going to end up being the #7 for better or worse... if they move Scuderi.

If he's in camp... he's already up, and needs to clear to be sent down. I don't think they can start with him in WBS without having to go through waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad