Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster-building Thread XI | All UFA and Trade proposals here | Cap SET: $69M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael8771*

Talk of moving Martin this year is insane.

People talk about wanting to maximize Sid and Geno's prime? That's a guaranteed way to flush an entire year of it down the toilet.
Yeah, I don't see trading our best all around defensemen as smart either.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's what shocks me about people saying Nealer wanted a trade. That dude has embraced Pittsburgh big time. It's a bit sad seeing him go. He really seemed to enjoy this city. I obviously have no clue what really happened, but I highly doubt he was a big problem in the locker room.

I know this is for the other thread, but just a random thought ;)

Michael8771*

It is not like you would be just tossing that $5 million in cap space down the toilet. It would be reallocated where it really is needed, among the forwards. And that doesn't even count the return. Downgrade? yes. But we do have the defensive depth to cushion that. What did we draft all these kids for if we never were going to develop them by playing them in the NHL?
Martin is good at almost everything, and there is so much inexperience on our blue line without him. He's a steadying type of player, no one else on our defense can really fill that void. It's good to have a lot of young guys, but that might be taking it a little too far. And TBH I don't trust Letang. His play can be very inconsistent at times and that's being generous.

jdpitt05

Jan 10, 2009
Pittsburgh
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.800m)
Nick Spaling ($2.200m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.900m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Steve Downie ($1.500m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Derek Morris ($2.000m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,899,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $100,042

Michael8771*

That's what shocks me about people saying Nealer wanted a trade. That dude has embraced Pittsburgh big time. It's a bit sad seeing him go. He really seemed to enjoy this city. I obviously have no clue what really happened, but I highly doubt he was a big problem in the locker room.

I know this is for the other thread, but just a random thought ;)
I am in full agreement. By all accounts he did indeed embrace this city. I believe this trade was a mistake, hope it doesn't turn out that way.

Michael8771*

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.800m)
Nick Spaling ($2.200m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.900m) / Joe Vitale ($0.750m) / Steve Downie ($1.500m)
Jayson Megna ($0.874m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Derek Morris ($2.000m)
Simon Despres ($1.000m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,899,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $100,042
Flip CAM for Kulemin and I agree.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
People need to come to terms that we're stuck with Dupuis and Scuderi. There's no point in even projecting lineups without them. It's not realistic. Two older declining guys with injury issues that also have 3 years of term at over 3 million per each. We're stuck with that. Our only hope is they bounce back enough this upcoming season to move them down the road.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
People need to come to terms that we're stuck with Dupuis and Scuderi. There's no point in even projecting lineups without them. It's not realistic. Two older declining guys with injury issues that also have 3 years of term at over 3 million per each. We're stuck with that. Our only hope is they bounce back enough this upcoming season to move them down the road.

Dupuis, most likely. Scuds can be moved. But unless we bring in a RHD, I think he'll stay and we go youth movement on defense.

That Dupuis contract pisses me off. Change should have happened last summer.

penguins2946*

Moss on the 4th line actually sounds really solid. He would be a 3rd liner on a lot of teams. A Clifford-Malhotra-Moss 4th line sounds absolutely fantastic.

Michael8771*

I don't mind any of those players, but in addition or in place of Moss I was hoping for Vrbata. I think we need to add one more to the top six.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Dupuis, most likely. Scuds can be moved. But unless we bring in a RHD, I think he'll stay and we go youth movement on defense.

That Dupuis contract pisses me off. Change should have happened last summer.

Yeah, Pascal Dupuis, damn overpaid 3rd line winger or really, really, really overpaid 4th line player. Yay. Although depending on the savings I wouldn't be opposed to moving Scuderi and bringing someone else in, or just toughing it with the youth. Thank god Shero gave them those NTC's and extra year.

There's still the buyout or retaining salary options, it's not appealing but it might work. Trade Scuderi and buyout (or Pronger) Dupuis, a rising cap could make it tolerable if they could lock down a good top 9.

Any interest in Iggy if he would sign for $5 million per for one year?

No. I don't like the price for Iginla and I don't want current Iginla, and I don't like the term for a winger solution. If someone gets 5M then it better be a winger they'll have for years who is better rounded.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Even if he wanted to stay, we would not want him back unless all the kids sucked. We wouldn't want to commit the money it would take when we have so many kids who will be ready for bigger roles, on the cheap. Also, you take a chance with older players, you never know when the decline will come and it can be a steep and quick fall.

I think that it is a given that Martin is gone after this year no matter what.

We wouldn't?! None of those kids (Maatta and Despres inc) will be ready to play 25 minutes a night as a top pairing D by the time Martin's contract is up. If we could extend him at 5m for another 4 years, we would be well off to do so. Due to his style of play, it's unlikely that this game will fall away as he ages. You just start bumping him down the lineup as the youth takes over. Give him a back diving contract, which allows easier flexibility in trading him later on.

Sure we have 5 really promising D in Maatta, Despres, Pouliot, Harrington and Dumoulin. But that doesn't mean Martin is expendable. Now... if he's saying he's walking after next season... then sure investigate what options are out there to move him, while getting something in return (say Martin for Gunnarsson and a small plus) where we get an asset that will be around longer, and something for the future. But until we've seen more from our kids, moving him is a terrible idea.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Pascal Dupuis, damn overpaid 3rd line winger or really, really, really overpaid 4th line player. Yay. Although depending on the savings I wouldn't be opposed to moving Scuderi and bringing someone else in, or just toughing it with the youth. Thank god Shero gave them those NTC's and extra year.

There's still the buyout or retaining salary options, it's not appealing but it might work. Trade Scuderi and buyout (or Pronger) Dupuis, a rising cap could make it tolerable if they could lock down a good top 9.

No. I don't like the price for Iginla and I don't want current Iginla, and I don't like the term for a winger solution. If someone gets 5M then it better be a winger they'll have for years who is better rounded.

How much would Kulemin get per year as far as term and cap hit goes? He made $2.8 million on his last contract.

And Dupuis isn't eligible for a compliance buyout.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Moss on the 4th line actually sounds really solid. He would be a 3rd liner on a lot of teams. A Clifford-Malhotra-Moss 4th line sounds absolutely fantastic.

Moss made 2.1 million last year though. He'll probably have to take a pay cut on his next deal but I'd chalk him up as a guy that will be too expensive for us as a 4th liner.

We may have to be a bit patient with our 4th line signings. We likely need to make 3 such signings. They may target one guy they really want for that line in day one of UFA and then let the market play itself out to try to fill the other two spots a bit cheaper.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Moss made 2.1 million last year though. He'll probably have to take a pay cut on his next deal but I'd chalk him up as a guy that will be too expensive for us as a 4th liner.

We may have to be a bit patient with our 4th line signings. We likely need to make 3 such signings. They may target one guy they really want for that line in day one of UFA and then let the market play itself out to try to fill the other two spots a bit cheaper.

I honestly have no clue what Spaling is going to sign for. Capgeek says his qualifying offer is 1.5, same as his caphit this past year. If you can get him close to that on a multi-year deal, then maybe you can slot him onto your 4th line. Especially if we make some moves with our top 9.

I fully expect JR to go after a vet center though. And as much as I like Vitale, he wouldn't be wrong doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad