Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread X | ALL UFA + TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I thought someone mentioned Detroit yesterday. Probably just a rumor, but that seems possible. I believe Ryan is from the Detroit area so maybe that's a plus, who knows.

I could definitely see Detroit being that team. They could definitely use him and have some good young prospects to deal. The Weiss experiment hasn't exactly worked out for em

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
he's better off being overpaid as a 2nd pairing d-man than going to a team that thinks he belongs on the first pairing. He may never be worth that money, but I think he'd do pretty well in Minnesota.

Yeah I think he will do very well in Minny. When you have Ryan Suter playing over 29 min a night, a guy like Nisky will only have to play 18-20min. Give him some PP duty where he can rip one timers and I think he will be just fine.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
he's better off being overpaid as a 2nd pairing d-man than going to a team that thinks he belongs on the first pairing. He may never be worth that money, but I think he'd do pretty well in Minnesota.

Yeah with the personnel Minny has and the type of game they play, he'd be well insulated and be able to, "get to his game," pretty comfortably.

(Yeah, I said it)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wilson is a 30 something point a year depth player at this point. Maybe he'd get better here but it's hard to tell.

The value is in the futures. This team really can't afford to make a deal that requires waiting a few years for it to pay off though. Crosby and Malkin are getting older. We can't piss away years waiting for deals to pay off down the road.

We had to do that with Staal but we really had no choice in that matter. We have Sutter but the deal won't really pay off until Pouliot and/or Dumoulin are really helping this team too. We don't have to do that with Neal. He's signed for a while. I'm not saying the Forsberg and the #11 parts are bad value but JR better be damn sure that Forsberg and the kid picked at #11 are guys that are ready to help this team very soon. Not that I think the deal happens anyway.

Absolutely we can. Moving Neal for futures gives JR 1 forward who might be able to step in immediately, and Wilson who is already a top 9 player. Then it also gives them ~10m to sign 2 top 6 players (pay little attn to who I signed, where I put them - I just grabbed 2 bodies that ppl were talking about). And thats without trading Scuderi or Dupuis. Only downside to this lineup is there's nowhere for Forsberg if he should win a spot in camp. Maybe more of a tweener instead of Cammy/Hemsky and bolster the bottom 6? But the point is there's tons of options if we had cheap players like Wilson and Forsberg who we thought could step in and play.

FORWARDS
Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Mike Cammalleri ($4.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Jayson Megna ($0.700m) / Joe Vitale ($0.950m) / Zach Sill ($0.600m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Simon Despres ($1.200m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $70,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,819,167; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $680,833

This is still a competitive team. And as Forsberg looks to be a top 6 talent, and should be gold in 1 or 2 years. But him, BB and Wilson should all be able to help this team immensely over the next 2 yrs. And the pick would help our long term depth.

But this team isn't going to compete for a cup next year as it is. I mean JR might make all the right moves and it all might payoff. But odds are that we have too many holes to fix it all this summer.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I take there's no word on whether or not Kunitz is in play for a deal? I don't see why he would be any less in play than Neal might be.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Yeah I think he will do very well in Minny. When you have Ryan Suter playing over 29 min a night, a guy like Nisky will only have to play 18-20min. Give him some PP duty where he can rip one timers and I think he will be just fine.

Im assuming Suter and Nisky wont play together, so who will their partners be? Brodin and Spurgeon maybe

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem is what would we do with that lineup? If we trade Neal and get that return back, we would have:

Kunitz-Crosby-XXXX
XXXX-Malkin-XXXX
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
XXXX-Wilson-XXXX

Wilson is a much better center than winger, according to Predators fans. We would need to move Sutter or put Wilson where he's uncomfortable. Forsberg should start the season in the AHL. How do we do this? Trade Sutter for a winger like Stewart and move Wilson up? That would take away our defensive center, because Wilson doesn't play on the PK. Maybe shift Wilson to the LW with Malkin? It puts us in a worse position any way you look at it. It would help our tremendously when Bennett, Forsberg, Kempe and Virtanen are our top-6 wingers, but it wouldn't help now. We need to win now.

This is such a short sighted opinion. I want to win now... but I also want to win every year between now and when Crosby and Malkin hit their late 30s. You have to build for the future while competing now. And right now, we're not setup to win now, and we're not built for the future.

If Wilson is more of a center than a winger... move him for a winger. Wilson+ for Perron/Yak/Stewart, or Wilson/Maatta for Kane, or whatever. But the point is you suddenly have assets to make moves. Because right now BB is untouchable solely because he's our only top 6 prospect, and we have zero depth.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Can't we all agree that Scuderi does not belong on the 2nd line?

I don't want him there, (I don't really want him on this team,) but if Martin is going to pair with Letang, then we need someone experienced to play with Maatta. We cant let Maatta be the veteran guy in his pairing, and experience is something this D is sorely missing especially without Scuds.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I don't want him there, (I don't really want him on this team,) but if Martin is going to pair with Letang, then we need someone experienced to play with Maatta. We cant let Maatta be the veteran guy in his pairing, and experience is something this D is sorely missing especially without Scuds.

Mitchell?

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
This is such a short sighted opinion. I want to win now... but I also want to win every year between now and when Crosby and Malkin hit their late 30s. You have to build for the future while competing now. And right now, we're not setup to win now, and we're not built for the future.

If Wilson is more of a center than a winger... move him for a winger. Wilson+ for Perron/Yak/Stewart, or Wilson/Maatta for Kane, or whatever. But the point is you suddenly have assets to make moves. Because right now BB is untouchable solely because he's our only top 6 prospect, and we have zero depth.

Or keep Neal

penguins2946*

A couple new rumors coming out is that Eric Staal likely will be traded to Nashville (from TSN1050 radio), Burmistrov is bringing in some interest (from Tim Campbell from the 4th period) and Garrison is being shopped by Vancouver (from McKenzie). 6th and Garrison for the 1st makes some sense IMO.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
A couple new rumors coming out is that Eric Staal likely will be traded to Nashville (from TSN1050 radio), Burmistrov is bringing in some interest (from Tim Campbell from the 4th period) and Garrison is being shopped by Vancouver (from McKenzie). 6th and Garrison for the 1st makes some sense IMO.

Wow1 Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Poor Jordan.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I will laugh so hard if that happens.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
And then we still have no depth are not setup to win now, and are not setup to win in the future.

There's plenty of deals we could do that does not involve our best winger for third liners or prospects.

Sutter, our first and a d prospect for Kane is one. Signing Kulemin and Goc (or equivalent) and we have a top nine of:

Kane-Crosby-Neal
Kunitz-Malkin-Kulemin
Dupuis-Goc-Bennett

Where only Kunitz, Dupuis and Goc needs replacing within the next... 5(?) years.

Scuderi, Dupuis and excessive defensemen for forwards is a couple of others.

Our depth does not stand and fall with James Neal.

penguins2946*

lol I wonder then if J Staal wants to come back?

If the Canes could retain like $2 million of his deal, I'd consider it. Re-do the Staal trade, Sutter, Dumoulin and a 1st for Jordan at $4 million :sarcasm:

Edit:

@DarrenDreger: Penguins have to decide on whether to keep or trade James Neal. No shortage of interest or trade opportunities.

God dammit Dreger, shut up. Though if there are a bunch of interested teams, I can't see us not getting a good return for him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I really hope JR is exploring all options to clear up some cap space. If Kunitz can bring back a young forward and 2 mil+ in space, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad