Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Thread X | ALL UFA + TRADE IDEAS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Leading up to the Kesler trade today, I read on the Canucks forum about Neal going to Vancouver.

Neal+Pouliot+1st for Kesler
Another trade was Neal+Bennett+1st

:laugh:

Good lord. Looks like Sutter and Lovejoy would have been more than enough if we still had the rev. Not that I'm demanding we should have traded for Kesler. 3 center dream probably died with Shero.

penguins2946*

And play who on defense? I guess they could take Fleury at #6 and add a winger at #24, but I think they'd be better off keeping Kulikov and Gudbranson and drafting Ekblad imo.

“We’ll listen to any deal to make us better,†he said of the No. 1 pick.

Tallon also conceded, “Maybe it’s time to package some of our youth in a deal.â€

I asked what he meant. Here’s what he meant:

If the Panthers were to make defenseman Aaron Ekblad the No. 1 pick Friday, as most mock drafts suggest, he’d be the team’s 12th defender 6-3 or taller.

“You can only dress six,†Tallon said. “Might be able to package one or two defensemen for a young forward, somebody who’ll be with us seven to 10 years. Maybe we can package assets to get that goal scorer. We’ve been building the foundation. Now we’re deep enough.â€

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html#storylink=cpy

They're looking to move 1 or 2 D for wingers. All of Garrison, Campbell, Gudbranson, Jovanovski, Olsen, Kulikov, Petrovic and Robak are NHL ready, and they're pretty weak on the wings. Kulikov for a winger makes a ton of sense.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow Florida should do that, then look to move Kulikov for a winger. Reinhart-Bonino-Horvat is an awesome center punch for the future.

If I were Vancouver I would draft Ekblad instead of Reinhart. Especially if they're moving Garrison back to Florida. The Sedins still have a few years left, they don't need to find a bunch of centers right now. Sedin/Bonino now, Horvat developing, look elsewhere. Ekblad is too good to pass on.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sounded like they kicked the tires on Kesler but the new regime wasn't nearly as enamored with making that deal happen.

I would have been in favor of it at the deadline -- getting three playoff runs out of him. But his value is a little less now that we're past that point, and I think the return the Canucks got reflected that.

Totally reasonable.

It's not like they had a chance this time around with the mess here and him reducing the teams to Anaheim and Chicago.

Though, I was hoping.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Why do they need to draft defense? Kulikov, Gudbranson is a fine starting point. If they did that trade and picked up Garrison, along with keeping Campbell, their top 4 is set. Then they can pick up a winger at #6 and BPA at 24. It's a deal that actually makes some sense.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/06/25/4201255/florida-panthers-appear-in-rare.html#storylink=cpy

They're looking to move 1 or 2 D for wingers. All of Garrison, Campbell, Gudbranson, Jovanovski, Olsen, Kulikov, Petrovic and Robak are NHL ready, and they're pretty weak on the wings. Kulikov for a winger makes a ton of sense.

Eh, I suppose, but I don't imagine Campbell and Jovanovski will be there past next year. Still, they'd have a solid top-4 in Garrison, Gudbranson, Kulikov, and Olsen/Petrovic in that deal and could add Ehlers/Ritchie at 6 and take a chance on Ho-Sang or Goldobin at 24, might be worth it.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Not that it comes as a surprise, but it doesn't sound like Pittsburgh was on Kesler's list this time around. So there wouldn't have been a chance to match that deal even if there were interest from Rutherford's crew.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Kesler's agent, Kurt Overhardt has high praise for Canucks GM Jim Benning. Says Benning worked very hard with the 2 teams given (Chi-Ana).

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Really glad the Pens didn't pay a package like that for Kessler. Ducks gave up way too much. Shero would have definitely set us back with a package like that.

thats a worse package than Sutter, Despres and a 1st.

Apparently Kesler only waived his NTC for ANA and CHI

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well so far among the new GM hires, JR didn't get owned like Benning did.

So far anyways.

The day is young.

This is why I don't take anything you say about being patient or rational seriously.

Everything you say has some backhanded compliment, thinly-veiled slam at the Penguins.

I'm really sorry they didn't hire Pierre McGuire, I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that IceBurgh is still the mascot.

EDIT!!!!

Let's up the negative, BRUH;

The Day is Young, UNLIKE JIM RUTHERFORD LOLOLOL (HE'S OLD)

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
This is why I don't take anything you say about being patient or rational seriously.

Everything you say has some backhanded compliment, thinly-veiled slam at the Penguins.

I'm really sorry they didn't hire Pierre McGuire, I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that IceBurgh is still the mascot.

Rossi reported that the pens have some interest in UFA steely mcbeam

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
Really glad the Pens didn't pay a package like that for Kessler. Ducks gave up way too much. Shero would have definitely set us back with a package like that.

Too much?

Ooookay then. This trade absolutely sets them up to go through LA in the playoffs.

If it was Bonino and Lindholm or Vatanen, different story. Sbisa is nothing, and really this was Bonino's first good year, and he's 26.

Too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad