Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Part IX | Free Agency + Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
How does Neal offer more to WPG than Kane? I just don't see any upside for the Jets in having Neal versus having Kane.

I think it may be a lateral move for both sides, to be honest. I was just saying that there is more to making trades than winning them from a value standpoint.

The Jets could use more veteran help, not more prospects imo.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Neal is 26, not 36. Again, the Jets need to win now and make the playoffs.

Getting a premiere sniper to play with their good young pivot, makes a ton more sense than getting a bunch of "maybes" in return.

Mgmt apparently has their issues with him. That's why he is on the block. If he was a down home Canadian farm boy type, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I don't think the Jets have as much pressure to win-now as you've stated although they do need to make the playoffs. I still fail to see how Neal (versus Kane) helps them win-now and make the playoffs.

Do you have any evidence that mgmt has continuing issues with Kane and wants to move him? As far as I am aware, the issue was with the coach and was addressed; in addition, other players had similar issues which were addressed.

I think it may be a lateral move for both sides, to be honest. I was just saying that there is more to making trades than winning them from a value standpoint.

The Jets could use more veteran help, not more prospects imo.

I agree that team's have different needs that may not always be clear from a fan prospective. I personally don't think that the Jets trade Kane; he seems to fit most of what they are trying to do there. And not to bag on Neal, but he is not exactly the veteran leadership that I would want for the team I follow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Point taken. I just think if they could get multiple NHL pieces (some people here have even cosigned on Sutter+Maatta for Kane) plus maybe even a 1st, that might be more enticing.

Maybe I'm just confused because I'm hearing that Kane would be a definite upgrade over Neal, but at the same time Peg would rather have Neal than Kane.

Kane is an upgrade in speed and physicality, which is what the Pens are missing in their top six.

As I said before, they are going to trade his physical presence and speed for about 10-15 goals losing Neal. Kane isn't perfect, and he tries to do too much at times, and he will be a 25-30 goal scorer max IMHO.

Winnipeg is looking to move Kane because of perceived attitude problems. That is why he is on the block from all I've read/heard. So I can't imagine a better deal for them coming along than James Neal.

I doubt this deal happens, but it makes sense from both sides. That's why I originally threw it out there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Neal helps the Jets more getting to the postseason. Their PP lacks a true sniper. Neal would step right onto their 1st unit and lead their team in PP goals I would wager.

Kane helps us more in the playoffs. His game is exactly what we're missing. Speed, more dynamic one on one, willingness to go to the net and use his size. Along with a mean streak.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think the Jets have as much pressure to win-now as you've stated although they do need to make the playoffs. I still fail to see how Neal (versus Kane) helps them win-now and make the playoffs.

Again, they are the ones who decided they think it may be best to move him. I'm not the one who made that decision. So if they move him, their bets of making the playoffs are much higher with Neal, than a decent roster player and picks/prospects.

Look at the deal from Chevy's side. He is being told to move Kane if he can get the right deal. He has pressure to make the playoffs and keep his job.

Is he going to gamble on what ifs or a known commodity?

Do you have any evidence that mgmt has continuing issues with Kane and wants to move him? As far as I am aware, the issue was with the coach and was addressed; in addition, other players had similar issues which were addressed.

It's pretty well known if you follow the Jets. Their announcers before the last game of the season basically said he could be traded because mgmt didn't think he was the right fit moving fwd.

There is a ton of smoke around this issue and has been for awhile. It doesn't mean they will pull the trigger, but legit insiders are saying the Jets are more willing to move him than ever before.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I wonder what the asking price would be for Baertschi. Burke doesn't seem to be a fan of his game. Don't know what we could offer that would make sense for both teams tho

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree that team's have different needs that may not always be clear from a fan prospective. I personally don't think that the Jets trade Kane; he seems to fit most of what they are trying to do there. And not to bag on Neal, but he is not exactly the veteran leadership that I would want for the team I follow.

I would say there's a 95% chance he gets dealt (Kane). And the 5% chance he stays is only temporary, as they would merely decide to move him in-season or at the deadline, instead of now.

Clearly there has been a falling-out there and the player wants/needs a change of scenery.

Kane's situation is not unlike Tyler Seguin in Boston, except for the winning the Cup part.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Get on it Gramps v2
FORWARDS
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.333m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Marcel Goc ($2.800m) / Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m)
Ryan Malone ($1.000m) / Joe Vitale ($0.850m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Brian Gibbons ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($0.950m) / Dan Boyle ($2.800m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.832m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.600m)
BURIED
Craig Adams ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,782,958; BONUSES: $68,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $317,042

If Malone doesn't work, simply bury his contract, then bring PL3 up. I really don't think 1M for 1 year is that bad considering Pyatt was 1.7M and Glass was 1.5M.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I will say after reading the works of Jags and Jiggy, I'm persuaded that a Neal/Kane swap is more possible than my initial reaction assumed.

I didn't think it was that far gone up there with Kane but I'll have to take your word for it.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
There is absolutely 0% chance that Boyle gets $2.8 million. Nikitin just signed for $4.5 and is not nearly as good as Boyle.

Boyle really closed his options because he wants to contend. He doesn't have that many options and I think at this point of his career its not about the money. Only other teams that could be even interested (if considered contenders) would be Minny, the Avs, and the Wings.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Boyle really closed his options because he wants to contend. He doesn't have that many options and I think at this point of his career its not about the money. Only other teams that could be even interested (if considered contenders) would be Minny, the Avs, and the Wings.

When the money is right, players and agents suddenly expand their list of teams who can contend.

Happens every year. Then you hear fans say, "but I thought ___ wanted to play for a contender???"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I will say after reading the works of Jags and Jiggy, I'm persuaded that a Neal/Kane swap is more possible than my initial reaction assumed.

I didn't think it was that far gone up there with Kane but I'll have to take your word for it.

I don't know if Kane is even on JR's radar. He wasn't even the GM when I first suggested the Kane for Neal scenario in April. It was never a rumor I read or heard, just one I thought of.

I just knew Kane was going to most likely be put on the block and he would bring many of the elements this team needs in the top six. I also knew this team needed a shakeup, and Neal was the biggest piece that was most expendable to me. He also fit exactly what the Jets would need, aside from a top four blueliner, if they moved Kane.

All this really is, was an idea that made a lot of sense. Nothing more. I haven't seen any rumors connecting these guys to either team. So there isn't any smoke about either team having interest in these respective players, but there is plenty of smoke about these guys maybe being moved.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I agree with Fishy. I think Boyle's priority is to contend and just might take a one-year deal to do so.

It's not like nobody has ever left money and years on the table to go for a Cup. Happens all the time actually.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Are you guys just making a proposal or is there a rumor going on about neal for kane?

No. It's simply an idea I came up with back in April and guys like MP and I have been hoping for since then.

Nothing more. No rumors. No hints of it even happening.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree with Fishy. I think Boyle's priority is to contend and just might take a one-year deal to do so.

It's not like nobody has ever left money and years on the table to go for a Cup. Happens all the time actually.

This. The most we would sign him for is 1 MAYBE 2 years. If its a one year and he plays good here, he could cash out once more and call it a career.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Boyle to Detroit would be such a standard Red Wings move. They really need defensemen and they love bringing in old guys trying to win a Cup before they retire.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This. The most we would sign him for is 1 MAYBE 2 years. If its a one year and he plays good here, he could cash out once more and call it a career.

OR, he could take the three and maybe even four-year deal that's being offered now and cash out without waiting.

I'd take Boyle for one year, but it's just not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad