Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Part IX | Free Agency + Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Well, one thing is for sure, there is enough smoke around these two. I don't think that means they get moved, especially for each other, but suggesting they get moved for each other isn't a half baked idea.

The Jets need wingers who can score, and Neal is a better pure goal scorer than Kane. They also have a gifted playmaking center in Scheifele.

So how doesn't it make sense for them, exactly?

It's not so much that acquiring James Neal makes no sense for Peg. Rather that it wouldn't make sense for them to make that swap over the other offers they would seem likely to get for Kane.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
TIOPS (I know I know) saying there has been contact between Pens and Boyle and reps will meet JR at the draft.

Although with these latest D signings I doubt Boyle will be a bargain even at his age.

Damn I was hoping you were talking about Brian Boyle.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
JR has to get rid of Scuderi now, he isn't going to fit MJ system.

Agreed. Orpik doesn't fit either. Both should be gone but they may be stuck with Scuderi. At least they have a choice with Brooks. Hopefully JR makes the right one and lets him walk.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I wonder if there is something to the Boyle thing. I seem to remember him being mentioned as a possibility to the Pens before. I guess he'd be kind of stopgap for a year or two until Pouliot is ready.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Boyle is definitely a possibility now. He's a good PMD, and would fit the system.

Well...depending on how much he has left in the tank.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Oilers just signed Nikitin to a 2 year, $9 million deal. Holy crap, that's a lot of money. Bye Niskanen, he's going to get paid.

Also, I'm hoping for a return like Wilson, Forsberg and the #11 pick for Neal. Though I would much rather not move him.

That return is pie-in-the-sky stuff. You're not going to get three quality assets for James Neal. You MAY get Forsberg and the #11 pick, MAYBE.

On another note, I don't want Dan Boyle. I cannot stress this enough. I would want a one-year stopgap guy to bridge the gap for the Maatta/Pouliot injuries. That's all. Not a declining D-man who is going to easily get 3 years on the market. No thanks.

Two players I would love to explore for us, one as a stopgap D and the other as our possible fourth-line center:

- Joni Pitkanen
- Saku Koivu

Pitkanen is coming off major heel surgery, so I would suspect he might get one-year offers only. Rutherford knows him. I think he'd be a decent fit.

Koivu is a true leader and warrior. Could help our 'room situation', if indeed one still exists after some of the people who were there are already gone. Don't know if he wants to retire but I'd call him for sure.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is Pitkanen even skating yet? I don't think he's anywhere close to a comeback yet.

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Pitkanen is coming off major heel surgery, so I would suspect he might get one-year offers only. Rutherford knows him. I think he'd be a decent fit.

I think Pitkanen is done. I was hoping earlier in the summer that he may play again, but it looks like he definitely won't play this season and probably not even again in his career.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Boyle only makes sense if he comes cheap AND it’s only for 1 year AND they move Scuderi. Otherwise, I’d rather roll with the young PMD that they already have and have Harrington, Dumoulin, and rest fill until Maatta and Pouliot are recovered.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
TB bought out Malone. 1 year, around 1M, and if nobody goes for him we could get him a little cheaper. Coming to were he had most of his success, getting him back home, and getting him the right help could work out very well for us.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's not so much that acquiring James Neal makes no sense for Peg. Rather that it wouldn't make sense for them to make that swap over the other offers they would seem likely to get for Kane.

I seriously doubt they will be offered a player better than Neal. The honeymoon is over in the Peg and the pressure is on to make the playoffs. Getting a young sniper on a good contract to play with their young, playmaking pivot is more valuable than a lesser roster player and picks/prospects that may never pan out.

They need guys now that can help them make the playoffs.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Malone is done. Even if he could stay healthy for more than a week, his wheels are shot. I would rather bring Pyatt back than sign Malone.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Well, one thing is for sure, there is enough smoke around these two. I don't think that means they get moved, especially for each other, but suggesting they get moved for each other isn't a half baked idea.

The Jets need wingers who can score, and Neal is a better pure goal scorer than Kane. They also have a gifted playmaking center in Scheifele.

So how doesn't it make sense for them, exactly?

The Jets can likely get a return similar to Bobby Ryan or Carter for Kane if they want to move him (which I highly doubt) or if he wants to leave (which I don't see as any more likely). That type of package of young forwards, prospects and picks makes more sense for the age of the team and status as building versus "win-now." Neal, who is older than Kane and has most of his production linked to Malkin, is at best a lateral move for them and, while providing immediate production, doesn't address their long-term needs.

I seriously doubt they will be offered a player better than Neal. The honeymoon is over in the Peg and the pressure is on to make the playoffs. Getting a young sniper on a good contract to play with their young, playmaking pivot is more valuable than a lesser roster player and picks/prospects that may never pan out.

Then why trade Kane at all? Kane offers similar production as Neal, is more physical, is younger and can carry his own line. The Jets don't need to make a lateral 1 for 1 trade for Neal who doesn't offer much more than Kane.

Not to mention WPG just barely missed the playoffs and signed their new coach who looked great with them this season. Adding Neal and losing Kane doesn't make the Jets a playoff lock.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I say it makes way more sense for Winnipeg than it does for us.

As for Malone, he'd be a guy I'd invite to camp to see if there's something left. He played a fourth-line role in TB last season. That's the ONLY role he can play nowadays. If he is still willing to fight, we could do worse for under a $1 million. But I wouldn't guarantee him a thing.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Jets can likely get a return similar to Bobby Ryan or Carter for Kane if they want to move him (which I highly doubt) or if he wants to leave (which I don't see as any more likely). That type of package of young forwards, prospects and picks makes more sense for the age of the team and status as building versus "win-now." Neal, who is older than Kane and has most of his production linked to Malkin, is at best a lateral move for them and, while providing immediate production, doesn't address their long-term needs.

The best value isn't always the best motivation for a team. Teams are at different stages of development, with different pressures, different depth charts and different expectations in different markets.

Just because the Ryan package was what worked for Anaheim doesn't mean it's what is best for the Jets right now.

Or at least, what they feel might be best.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I say it makes way more sense for Winnipeg than it does for us.

As for Malone, he'd be a guy I'd invite to camp to see if there's something left. He played a fourth-line role in TB last season. That's the ONLY role he can play nowadays. If he is still willing to fight, we could do worse for under a $1 million. But I wouldn't guarantee him a thing.

Agree on Malone. Camp invite and see where it goes from there. A 4 liner and a guy that could stand in front of the net on the 2nd PP is about all he could do now

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh

Point taken. I just think if they could get multiple NHL pieces (some people here have even cosigned on Sutter+Maatta for Kane) plus maybe even a 1st, that might be more enticing.

Maybe I'm just confused because I'm hearing that Kane would be a definite upgrade over Neal, but at the same time Peg would rather have Neal than Kane.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Would Winnipeg have any interest in Fleury? He has earned his right to play here, but with Miller/Hiller being free agents and probably not signing in Winnipeg, would there be any interest in Kane and another piece for Fleury and Neal. Being able to talk to free agents today, if the interest of one of the FA goalies was to come here, it might work out. It at least gives the Jets somewhat stable goaltending which is an area of need.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Signing people like Malone is what got Shero fired. No Malone. I'd rather have Sill, Vitale, Z, etc at much cheaper .

F Malone.

I would support Boyle coming in if it was a certainty that Orpik and Scuds were gone. Otherwise let the kids play.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Point taken. I just think if they could get multiple NHL pieces (some people here have even cosigned on Sutter+Maatta for Kane) plus maybe even a 1st, that might be more enticing.

Maybe I'm just confused because I'm hearing that Kane would be a definite upgrade over Neal, but at the same time Peg would rather have Neal than Kane.

The assumption is that they're moving him. The reasons? One can speculate that it's about a change of scenery and/or he hasn't met their high expectations.

Either way, as Jiggy said, you're not getting a better player back than James Neal. If they want to fill more holes in their lineup, expand the deal. We have several other pieces that would interest them. And would create cap room for us.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The best value isn't always the best motivation for a team. Teams are at different stages of development, with different pressures, different depth charts and different expectations in different markets.

Just because the Ryan package was what worked for Anaheim doesn't mean it's what is best for the Jets right now.

Or at least, what they feel might be best.

How does Neal offer more to WPG than Kane? I just don't see any upside for the Jets in having Neal versus having Kane.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Neal is 26, not 36. Again, the Jets need to win now and make the playoffs.

Getting a premiere sniper to play with their good young pivot, makes a ton more sense than getting a bunch of "maybes" in return.

Then why trade Kane at all? Kane offers similar production as Neal, is more physical, is younger and can carry his own line. The Jets don't need to make a lateral 1 for 1 trade for Neal who doesn't offer much more than Kane.

Mgmt apparently has their issues with him. That's why he is on the block. If he was a down home Canadian farm boy type, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Neal is 26, not 36. Again, the Jets need to win now and make the playoffs.

Getting a premiere sniper to play with their good young pivot, makes a ton more sense than getting a bunch of "maybes" in return.

Mgmt apparently has their issues with him. That's why he is on the block. If he was a down home Canadian farm boy type, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Well apparently neither is Neal if we're going to believe all the whispers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad