Salary Cap: 2014-15 Roster Building Part IX | Free Agency + Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kane for Neal doesn't make any sense for the Pens. No cap advantage and is Kane a 40 goal scorer. What would make sense is trading Neal to Anaheim for 2 young Fs like Palmeire, Etam or Smith-Pelly and the #10 pick. You save on the cap and will get back 3 young forwards.

The only real trading chips the Pens have in order to get a good return are Letang and Neal. So do you trade both, one or none. That's JRs dilemma thanks to Mr. Shero's mess.

He makes a ton of sense. Kane is a winger who can create his own offense, and plays a grittier game. He's someone that when not scoring, he still contributes to the team. The 10-15 goals that he doesn't score in the reg season (compared to Neal) wouldn't make a difference, and his overall play in the post season would make a difference.

I'm not saying I'd move them 1-1, as I think they could get him (or someone else pretty good) for Sutter+Maatta.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He makes a ton of sense. Kane is a winger who can create his own offense, and plays a grittier game. He's someone that when not scoring, he still contributes to the team. The 10-15 goals that he doesn't score in the reg season (compared to Neal) wouldn't make a difference, and his overall play in the post season would make a difference.

I'm not saying I'd move them 1-1, as I think they could get him (or someone else pretty good) for Sutter+Maatta.

You can't just compare stats. Neal has been playing with Malkin (and Crosby on the PP) for the last 4 years. Kane has been playing with...not-Malkin.

Kane is the type of guy this team needs.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Neal for Sharp/Kane
Sutter+Pouliot+1st or Sutter+Maatta for Kesler/Sharp/Kane

Kunitz-Crosby-Sharp
Kane-Malkin-Kulemin

easily best top 6 in the league.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sharp is an older and a lot more expensive Neal. Chicago would have to add to get a younger winger and cap space in return.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Until I see Neal be successful in the playoffs, I'm not going to buy it. I just don't think his game is built for the playoffs. His shot would be hard to replace, but I'd rather have a more complete player who can do things besides just score.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sharp is an older and a lot more expensive Neal. Chicago would have to add to get a younger winger and cap space in return.

Yea pretty much. Why are we doing this deal again? For the sake of change? There better be a + on Chicagos end. I get people being frustrated with Neal, but he's 26/27, is a 40 goal scorer, and is on one if the best contracts in the NHL. I don't get it.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Neal for Sharp makes about as much sense as a poopy flavored lollipop. We're not gonna just trade Neal for the sake of trading him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Neal for Sharp has to be the most pointless trade I've seen proposed in a while. Good lord. Does nothing for us and doesn't do much for Chicago either. It's like a random video game trade made just for the hell of making a trade.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Sharp is a better, right handed version of Neal, and can actually make plays by himself, and not leach off teammates. The only reason that trade wouldn't make sense is the age difference.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sharp is a better, right handed version of Neal, and can actually make plays by himself, and not leach off teammates. The only reason that trade wouldn't make sense is the age difference.

He's also turning 33. And alot of his game is based on speed.

I'd rather have Kesler, and I wouldn't deal Neal for him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kane for Neal makes very little sense from the Jets perspective in my opinion.

ANA has no need for wingers like Neal or Kunitz; they are not going to waste trade assets that they need to get a C and D.

I agree that Neal/Kane makes a lot less sense for Winnipeg than it does for Pittsburgh.

Anaheim is actually weak on the left side, and outside of Perry, they have no real proven top 6 wingers. Even in the Kunitz proposal, it wasn't entirely rejected outright for those reasons. There were comments that it would make more sense to go after a center first, and concerns over his age. I don't see anything happening there till after FA starts and they get a chance to see how they might fill their #2C hole, or what Kesler will really cost now that his list is apparently down to 2 places (ANA/CHI).

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Why are we taking one of those twitter accounts that make up rumors seriously? Are we really that bored :laugh:

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
He's also turning 33. And alot of his game is based on speed.

I'd rather have Kesler, and I wouldn't deal Neal for him.

Yea, like I said age is the main factor (from Pitts perspective), but it's a pretty odd trade all around for both sides. Agree on the Kesler part as well, maybe they'll thrown in Shinkaruk? (obviously wishful thinking)

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yea pretty much. Why are we doing this deal again? For the sake of change? There better be a + on Chicagos end. I get people being frustrated with Neal, but he's 26/27, is a 40 goal scorer, and is on one if the best contracts in the NHL. I don't get it.

I'm with you. People talk about this roster like it needs to be blown up as if the team finished last place.

There are a few spots that need upgraded. Namely they need another top 6 winger. You trade Neal for Sharp or Kane and this team still needs another top 6 winger.

If you think Kane/Sharp are that much better than Neal that's great and all but it doesn't move the needle all that much imo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think the Jets have as much pressure to win-now as you've stated although they do need to make the playoffs. I still fail to see how Neal (versus Kane) helps them win-now and make the playoffs.

It's not that Neal>Kane, but that IF they're set on moving him, Neal is better than a package, especially for a team that needs to compete and very much needs to make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad