Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECSF: Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Hab's fan here.

Just wanted to say that this has been a heart breaker of a series. 2 really close games went your way and we've split some blowouts.
Honestly, I think you guys seal the deal Saturday night. Not getting swept was a matter of pride but right now, Tampa leads the best of 17 matchup this season 8-1. Bishop had a rough game but you gotta start him and he will likely seal the deal.

Coming back from 0-3 is not something that happens every day and I don't think this Montreal team, which I really like, has it in them to do it.

Best of luck and here's to having an entertaining game 5!

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Hab's fan here.

Just wanted to say that this has been a heart breaker of a series. 2 really close games went your way and we've split some blowouts.
Honestly, I think you guys seal the deal Saturday night. Not getting swept was a matter of pride but right now, Tampa leads the best of 17 matchup this season 8-1. Bishop had a rough game but you gotta start him and he will likely seal the deal.

Coming back from 0-3 is not something that happens every day and I don't think this Montreal team, which I really like, has it in them to do it.

Best of luck and here's to having an entertaining game 5!

Bishop wasn't really "off" he was just tired, and so were the D.

The D made two fatal flaws which allowed your first two goals, so it's not all Bishop's fault.

Needless to say, I've got a feeling Saturday is it as well.

You guys relied wayyyyyyy too heavily on Price when we were in MTL and I feel like the D will think they can do that again and we'll see a similar outcome to game 1 (just minus the overtime).

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Were in trouble if we lose tomorrow. This team is pretty weak mentally for the most part, if anyone can get reverse swept it's them

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Were in trouble if we lose tomorrow. This team is pretty weak mentally for the most part, if anyone can get reverse swept it's them

Yeah so mentally weak that they never lost more than two games in a row all year. Only team in the league to do that.

If there's one thing this team is not, it's mentally weak.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Yeah so mentally weak that they never lost more than two games in a row all year. Only team in the league to do that.

Thanks for the irrelevant fact Pierre. This team is mentally weak, they choke up when they are behind and a certain few just completely disappear when the pressure is on.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
Since the Habs have won one game, it's now the Habs series to lose.:squint: Tampa is ONLY up 3-1 because they have been lucky. :rolleyes:

Tampa needs to end this tomorrow. I can't deal with this type of BS anymore.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for the irrelevant fact Pierre. This team is mentally weak, they choke up when they are behind and a certain few just completely disappear when the pressure is on.

If you think what I said wasn't relevant to your statement, I don't think you understand mental toughness in the NHL.

Detroit sure does have odd jerseys on this round. I mean since TB choked up when they were down 3 games to 2 last round. Oh wait what's that? They went on the road and won and then won a game 7 also? Crazy!

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Since the Habs have won one game, it's now the Habs series to lose.:squint: Tampa is ONLY up 3-1 because they have been lucky. :rolleyes:

Tampa needs to end this tomorrow. I can't deal with this type of BS anymore.
We need to win one. They need to win three. It's OUR series to lose.

But I know what you're saying, it's still technically wrong, though.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

You have seen Johnson play, right? He's arguably been the most clutch player out of everyone in the playoffs this season

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I'm not that worried since we always suck at B2B games and this is a nice way to give Montreal false hope. We'll be able to bounce back.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
I'm nervous. Been not too impressed with how badly the Lightning have played. They've not looked anything like the Lightning of the reg. season for quite some time. Look more like MTL reg. season.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
You have seen Johnson play, right? He's arguably been the most clutch player out of everyone in the playoffs this season

You have seen Stamkos play, right? He's arguably been the biggest choke artists out of everyone in the playoffs this season

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa

In what world is what Sniper said irrelevant? He literally countered your argument with a solidified FACT. We are about the furthest thing from being "mentally weak" that this league has seen all year.

We've never lost 3 in a row.

We've only lost 2 in a row 9 times in the entire season.

We're FAR from screwed if this goes to game 6, and even if it gets to 7 we're not totally screwed.

*Edited to update numbers*

I don't get it... People want to talk analytics/stats/numbers but then they throw them out the window when it doesn't match their personal thoughts. :help:

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
In what world is what Sniper said irrelevant? He literally countered your argument with a solidified FACT. We are about the furthest thing from being "mentally weak" that this league has seen all year.

We've never lost 3 in a row.

We've only lost 2 in a row 9 times in the entire season.

We're FAR from screwed if this goes to game 6, and even if it gets to 7 we're not totally screwed.

*Edited to update numbers*

I don't get it... People want to talk analytics/stats/numbers but then they throw them out the window when it doesn't match their personal thoughts. :help:

Consistency does not equal mental toughness. Apparently you guys have been watching a different team if you can't admit that when we're in high pressure situations the team as a whole starts to look shaky. Nothing wrong with it, the team we're icing is fairly new and very young, but if you can't admit it then you're just being a homer.

Also, if you want to live and die by analytics why don't you take into account our road record and our stats going into the third behind

Last edited:

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
You have seen Stamkos play, right? He's arguably been the biggest choke artists out of everyone in the playoffs this season

No,no,no.

You'd think any relatively sane person would pick Malkin as the biggest choke artist this POs, case can also be made for Nash and the whole LA team, but not Stamkos. He's just played like **** but not even close to being the choke-artist of the year.

I've been more disappointed with Palat to be honest. :(

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Consistency does not equal mental toughness. Apparently you guys have been watching a different team if you can't admit that when we're in high pressure situations the team as a whole starts to look shaky. Nothing wrong with it, the team we're icing is fairly new and very young, but if you can't admit it then you're just being a homer.

Also, if you want to live and die by analytics why don't you take into account our road record and our stats going into the third behind

The team was mentally soft during the reg season, yes. But the series against DRW really pushed them beyond the brink and I think it made them that much tougher mentally.
Wouldn't call them mentally weak anymore.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Mentally weak might be a bit too harsh but they definitely lack that killer instinct. There is no excuse to come out and play so piss poor at home with a potential sweep on the line.

We've seen them come out and play like that in almost every. single. game. of this playoffs. They've been wildly inconsistent from period to period.

I think the DRW series was good for the team. But they still play at times like it's their first playoff experience, ever, minors and juniors included. Cooper needs to do a way better job at getting them coached up and ready. If they come out flat for Game 5 AGAIN it will be inexcusable.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Killer instinct. It's been said a lot everywhere but that's the only term I can think of too. They don't take advantage of the situations that favor them and end up always doing it the hard way. I look at teams like the Hawks by contrast and they barely ever gave the Wild any hope in that sweep, even when the score was close. Hopefully we'll get there. In a way you hope they don't get TOO much luck because it might spoil them into thinking it's easier than it really is, but I think they overcame a lot of adversity in the Wings series, so who knows.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Oh our 4-1 road record in the playoffs?

Or how about the down 0-2 with 5 minutes to play comeback win ON THE ROAD against Detroit?

Selective memory must be a *****. I can't imagine not being able to remember things that have happened so recently.

I don't think you understand how hard it is for ANY team to comeback to win when losing going into the third. Put this in perspective here for you. The NHL RECORD is 12 wins. 12. Also take into account you have to, ya know, actually be losing the game to have opportunities to perform this amazing feat. TB wasn't losing that often going into the third period.

And I'm not even going to get into your "consistency doesn't equal mental toughness" statement. That couldn't be further from the truth.

EDIT: No you know what. This annoys me. I dug up a chart for numbers covering a span of games in the past two seasons:

1t953p.jpg

It's so damn easy to come back. Every team but TB is doing it. TB is so weak mentally.
The Buffalo ****ing Sabres haven't lost a game in regulation when leading after two periods in this span of games. Just because you see Calgary and Anaheim mostly lucking into goalie pulled goals and winning in a shootout so much this year because of of completely random events, doesn't mean every team in the history of the NHL is capable of being that lucky.

Last edited:

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
It bothers me that we were unprepared to potentially sweep them because we could have had about a week to rest and heal. But NOPE. Now, if we advance, we would likely be jumping right into the next series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad