Pre-Game Talk: 2014-15 Playoffs - ECSF: Montreal Canadiens vs Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think we, on paper, match up better with the Rangers.

But I think the Rangers are a better team than the Caps.

Do we want the better match up or the worse team? Could go either way.

the caps scare me the most i'd want the rangers for some reason bishop plays montreal and the rangers very well.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Match up is more important. We have many years in a row of seeing how poorly Tampa Bay has been able to suppress Washington's goal scoring in the head-to-head matchups, and if we want to read into small sample sizes with some distorted context, then take a look at Ben Bishop's matchup history against New York.

The biggest disadvantage to New York is not having home ice, but this is hockey; home ice is won and lost all the time. I'll take my chances with them.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'd take the Rangers. I feel pretty confident if we're facing New York but I feel like it's only a 50/50 shot against Washington. They've been pretty underwhelming on home ice in the first two rounds so I'm not too worried about not having home ice in the next round.

Klutch86

Dec 27, 2014
Rangers please. Do not want to play the caps & have OV, Wilson running around leaping into every hit

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we play like we did tonight I like our chances vs either team. I want NYR though so we can send the hobbit home.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
That was some exciting and stressful playoff hockey that I have watched with family and friends. Congrats on advancing in the finals. Your special teams were definitely on point, you guys have more offensive talent up front and your D was as strong, if not stronger, than ours. The only irritating thing in this series was the flopping, but whatever... Us interfering with Bishop wasn't really smart either in the first games and I've felt we took a page from the Bruins book, instead of concentrating on scoring goals. Game 3 was the stinger for me, and it hurt for a couple of days. The game could've went both ways, puck luck was on your side as well.

Anyways, I won't be cheering for you guys if you face the Caps and Ovechkin, but in all other cases, I will silently cheer on the Bolts to win the Cup. Good luck I guess.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Conn Smythe for 2 rounds for the Bolts:

Still Johnson? Bish? Did Kucherov close the gap? What about our #1 Dman who's been a monster?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Johnson is most likely still the front runner as he has the most gaudy stats. Bishop and Kucherov are now on the radar. Hedman deserves attention too but probably isn't getting any yet.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Over the 2 series my choice would be Bishop, he only keeps getting better and last night he reminded me of Martin Brodeur circa playoffs 2012, and that's one huge compliment there. His puck handling skills both derailed Montréal's forecheck and helped his teammates on the breakout. I think Cooper after watching some tape encouraged Bishop to be more aggressive and it fits our system to a tee. I really really hope it's now part of our game plan.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Has anyone ever seen a goalie play the puck as much as Bish did in the 2nd period last night? I sure haven't, not even Brodeur.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Has anyone ever seen a goalie play the puck as much as Bish did in the 2nd period last night? I sure haven't, not even Brodeur.

I think the difference between Bish and most puck-handling goalies (except maybe Smith) is that Bish will play the puck when the team is settled in the zone. He'll actually break up a cycle - that's a very ballsy play but it's like having six skaters out there, and he times it well.

I said it in the series thread: For all the hype Price gets as a puck handler, Bishop put on a friggin clinic. The only chance the Habs had dumping it in was either a hard around (which are pretty low percentage) or dumping it into the corner. Anything that ended up behind the net in the trapezoid was sent out quickly.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Bold statement. On top of my head, Brodeur did that the entire ECF against the Rangers in 2012 and it was many years after the "Brodeur rule", aka the trapezoid. Brodeur is arguably a top 3, 5, 10 or whatever all-time goalie or maybe just a product of the Devils system. One thing is not arguable tho, he's the greatest puck tracker this game has ever seen. Head and shoulders above the rest. Bishop's game last night was the closest thing I've seen to what Brodeur was capable to on rare basis, and it's already an amazing accomplishment.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah - also there's some mis-remembering of how sick Brodeur was handling the puck, especially before the trapezoid.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Bold statement. On top of my head, Brodeur did that the entire ECF against the Rangers in 2012 and it was many years after the "Brodeur rule", aka the trapezoid. Brodeur is arguably a top 3, 5, 10 or whatever all-time goalie or maybe just a product of the Devils system. One thing is not arguable tho, he's the greatest puck tracker this game has ever seen. Head and shoulders above the rest. Bishop's game last night was the closest thing I've seen to what Brodeur was capable to on rare basis, and it's already an amazing accomplishment.

Not like the 2nd period last night imo. Trust me i'm not saying Bish is a better puck handler as Brodeur, i'm just saying.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
That was some exciting and stressful playoff hockey that I have watched with family and friends. Congrats on advancing in the finals. Your special teams were definitely on point, you guys have more offensive talent up front and your D was as strong, if not stronger, than ours. The only irritating thing in this series was the flopping, but whatever... Us interfering with Bishop wasn't really smart either in the first games and I've felt we took a page from the Bruins book, instead of concentrating on scoring goals. Game 3 was the stinger for me, and it hurt for a couple of days. The game could've went both ways, puck luck was on your side as well.

Anyways, I won't be cheering for you guys if you face the Caps and Ovechkin, but in all other cases, I will silently cheer on the Bolts to win the Cup. Good luck I guess.

Flopping... **** that. Johnson dove, for the puck, not to embellish. Commentators said Bishop was accused of "going down too easy," (basically calling him a diver themselves) immediately after his legs were taken out from under him. Every team embellishes high sticks, because no one would see it otherwise. Don't call us ****ing floppers. That is just ridiculous coming from a Montreal fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad