Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I miss the days when people watched games instead of looking into percentages when telling how good a player is..

The people (Corey Sznajder, in particular, for zone exits) who compile unofficial microdata -- which isn't yet auto-tracked -- watch a **** ton of hockey to produce this type of information.

Yes, it is foolish for anyone to just look at a certain data point to arrive at a judgment of a player or team, just as dumb it would be to rely solely on your eyes since, though some are better-tuned observers than others, no individual can process everything that's simultaneously happening on the ice and without any bias. Hence the point of collecting and analyzing data.

Yeah, impressions often go hand-in-hand with the data when it comes to outliers -- players like Sidney Crosby and John Scott, for example, who are so obviously at the opposite extremes in terms on on-ice ability that it is easy for anybody watching the sport to quickly assess them as very good and very poor, respectively -- but it becomes much harder to distinguish among the bulk of the league's players who are distinguished by very marginal differences in various on-ice skills and overall talent. Beyond subjective preferences, our eyes aren't going to help us differentiate the second set of players much.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
And, uh, Jake Muzzin is a really good hockey player, whether he's playing with Doughty or without him. It's not because he's a hard-ass in his own end but because he has the combination of wheels, puck-moving ability and reliable decision-making that has become so crucial from the back-end in the past decade. Hence he not just a #fancystat darling but also "looks good" more often than not when he's out on the ice.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
[NHL]630041[/NHL]

Seriously going to wife Michelle Gingras

Last edited:

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
And, uh, Jake Muzzin is a really good hockey player, whether he's playing with Doughty or without him. It's not because he's a hard-ass in his own end but because he has the combination of wheels, puck-moving ability and reliable decision-making that has become so crucial from the back-end in the past decade. Hence he not just a #fancystat darling but also "looks good" more often than not when he's out on the ice.

Yeah he is good, but I think what he meant about Muzzin was that some NHL 'experts' penciled him into their top-15 Dmen, which is, completely imo, a huge,huge stretch.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Something I was wondering: What are the chances we give Erne his 9 game look this year? Particularly if he performs like he did in last year's camp, and if Kucherov (the likely demotee) struggles in camp. I read somewhere (perhaps on here) that Erne was surprisingly close to making last year's team.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Something I was wondering: What are the chances we give Erne his 9 game look this year? Particularly if he performs like he did in last year's camp, and if Kucherov (the likely demotee) struggles in camp. I read somewhere (perhaps on here) that Erne was surprisingly close to making last year's team.

I wouldn't be shocked but I wouldn't bet on it happening either. The wings are already pretty jammed up, as is center. Kucherov may have to get demoted regardless because we have so many players.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't be shocked but I wouldn't bet on it happening either. The wings are already pretty jammed up, as is center. Kucherov may have to get demoted regardless because we have so many players.

I'm counting 13 forwards, including Kucherov, with a solid chance of making the roster. I think we're all expecting the Lightning to carry 13 forwards and 8 D, and Kucherov's spot seems like the only one in real jeopardy. Paquette, Namestnikov, and Erne seem like the most likely darkhorses, but Erne's the only one that, by demoting him, we'd be making a final decision. So if he's close, I'm wondering if we don't give him the 9 games just to delay the decision and see how he looks. And Kucherov's the only guy we can really demote.

I'm not saying I think this will happen. It's just a scenario that struck me, and I think it's plausible. Not probable, mind you.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's possible but he'd have to outplay lots of player's for it to happen. It looks like 8 of the top 9 spots are taken so he could get that 9th spot but would make more sense to send him back to give minutes to others. It's why we sent Connolly down last year and possibly Kucherov this year we just have too many player's who are now waiver exempt that we need to play. Rather give top 9 minutes to Brown, Panik, Kucherov, Boyle, Namestnikov or Paquette before Erne. Nothing against Erne but with our depth I like the philosophy of fully developing player's before bringing them up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's possible but he'd have to outplay lots of player's for it to happen. It looks like 8 of the top 9 spots are taken so he could get that 9th spot but would make more sense to send him back to give minutes to others. It's why we sent Connolly down last year and possibly Kucherov this year we just have too many player's who are now waiver exempt that we need to play. Rather give top 9 minutes to Brown, Panik, Kucherov, Boyle, Namestnikov or Paquette before Erne. Nothing against Erne but with our depth I like the philosophy of fully developing player's before bringing them up.

Agreed, but the decision with Erne would be final, whereas with the rest, we can always bring them back. So I think there's an argument to give him his nine games and see how he does, probably over Kucherov. Particularly if he outplays the others in camp, which he was doing last year before the suspension. We have a 9 game trial run if we want it. Then we can send him back, no harm, no foul.

I guess I'm just wondering if, because of those nine games, he has an actual chance, whereas last year it was pretty obvious he was getting demoted regardless of how he played. I'm not so sure that's the case this year, given Kucherov's waiver status.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can't remember if we've ever given a player a 9 game trial. We usually make our decisions on CHL prospects pretty early. Erne would be better then Brown and think he could push Killorn for a top 6 spot but just don't think we keep him up this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it a possibility that Erne has a dynamite camp though? Isn't he just coming back from wrist surgery or something?

He was fantastic in camp last year. The surgery was wrist surgery, which shouldn't affect his physicality, which is the main thing we'd be looking for.

Again, it's not that I'm saying this should happen. But I think it's an interesting option that we might have to consider if Erne makes the decision tough. Especially if Kucherov doesn't win a top-six spot out of camp. I'm not sure I want to see him on the 3rd line again. Erne would be a better fit for that role, and we could always demote him after 9 games if he's not cutting it, or if we think we need more scoring.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Slim to none unless in camp we get two key injuries like Boyle and morrow going down.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He was fantastic in camp last year. The surgery was wrist surgery, which shouldn't affect his physicality, which is the main thing we'd be looking for.

Again, it's not that I'm saying this should happen. But I think it's an interesting option that we might have to consider if Erne makes the decision tough. Especially if Kucherov doesn't win a top-six spot out of camp. I'm not sure I want to see him on the 3rd line again. Erne would be a better fit for that role, and we could always demote him after 9 games if he's not cutting it, or if we think we need more scoring.

I doubt yzerman puts two 19 year olds on his nhl line up let drouin come in this year then bring Erne in next year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Erne won't sniff the lineup.

I wouldn't put it that way. He outperformed Drouin last season in camp and everyone has Drouin in their lineups so not sure why Drouin gets a free pass to the lineup but not Erne. There's no chance Drouin goes back to the Q but Erne should be giving the same chance to make the team and neither should be handed a spot.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Bruins fan here. Just curious on your thoughts as to who will sit on Stamkos RW this year? Im assuming the top line will consist of Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan/Johnson/Palat?
Thanks guys!

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I wouldn't put it that way. He outperformed Drouin last season in camp and everyone has Drouin in their lineups so not sure why Drouin gets a free pass to the lineup but not Erne. There's no chance Drouin goes back to the Q but Erne should be giving the same chance to make the team and neither should be handed a spot.

Erne still has things he can improve on in the Q, Drouin does not. From a numbers game Erne would be the easiest to cut since no one expects him to make the team this year.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Bruins fan here. Just curious on your thoughts as to who will sit on Stamkos RW this year? Im assuming the top line will consist of Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan/Johnson/Palat?
Thanks guys!

The top line will be(IMO) Killorn-Stamkos-Johnson to start the year. Callahan and Palat are money together on the second line.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks guys!

I think the beginning of the season will start with a Palat - Stamkos - Callahan line , then as the season goes on we will likely see a Drouin - Stamkos - Johnson line. With a 2nd line of Palat - flip - Callahan

The whole point is to keep Callahan and Palat together, IMO, those guys have excellent chemistry.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
If Bretty Connolly struggles early on, does anyone think he'll get thrown onto Stamkos' line to pump his tires for a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad