Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Drouin is mad determined to make the team this year, you can really tell. I would be pretty pumped if he clicked well on the 2nd line with Cally and Flip. Cally and Flip can both help Drouin develop different parts of his game. Plus Flip is a solid play maker and can help Drouin rack up some points. Then we get to keep that awesome first line of Stammer-Johnson-Palat.

or even
Palat - Stamkos - Callahan
Drouin - Johnson - Flip (Flip and tyjo switch between center and rw like him and Stamkos did on occasion)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A few weeks away from the end of line speculations. woo hoo!

So the Rangers signed Ryan Malone. I have not watched him enough to make a fair assessment of him, so leave that to you guys in your opinion of the signing.

Tampa and the Rangers are going to certainly create some rivalry with all these player swaps.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A few weeks away from the end of line speculations. woo hoo!

So the Rangers signed Ryan Malone. I have not watched him enough to make a fair assessment of him, so leave that to you guys in your opinion of the signing.

Tampa and the Rangers are going to certainly create some rivalry with all these player swaps.

It's like there's an underground pipeline.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Finally some data off of Corey Sznajder's zone exits(http://shutdownline.com/hurricanes/all-three-zones-project-aka-how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation.html ) and TB players: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/datat-for-all-d-with-450-touches-in-the-dz/ & http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-whole-new-way-to-look-at-nhl-defencemen/

NHLRank Player(0/186) Zoneexit% Turnover% Icing% CorsiFor% (for full click the links)

25. Victor Hedman 26.94% 6.79% 2.48% 54.09%
39. Sami Salo 18.40% 4.45% 1.93% 52.47%
57. Eric Brewer 18.53% 6.18% 2.19% 49.57%
77. Andrej Sustr 24.00% 6.33% 1.83% 50.00%
90. Radko Gudas 23.58% 7.82% 2.04% 48.62%
158. Matthew Carle 27.77 7.21% 1.83% 48.07%

54. Anton Stralman(NYR) 28.87% 5.94% 2.52% 56.17%
136. Jason Garrison(VAN) 20.00% 7.72% 3.70% 47.62%

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't know how I feel about these stats.

I guess my main issue is that they're individual stats for a team concept - that being zone defense. Also, there's clearly a pairing bias with Jake Muzzin being in the top ten, just like with things like Corsi and Fenwick. I guess they're a nice tool, but I can't wait to ****ing hear HF go on and on about the greatness that is Keith Ballard as a result of this.

I really don't know how I feel about analytic stats. I feel the more complex they get, the less reliable. Corsi and Fenwick are pretty simple, so it doesn't give too slanted of a picture (but they still need context to make sense), and they individualize a team concept. We'll see - I don't think there's any doubt the team got better, at least.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Finally some data off of Corey Sznajder's zone exits(http://shutdownline.com/hurricanes/all-three-zones-project-aka-how-i-spent-my-summer-vacation.html ) and TB players: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/datat-for-all-d-with-450-touches-in-the-dz/ & http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-whole-new-way-to-look-at-nhl-defencemen/

NHLRank Player(0/186) Zoneexit% Turnover% Icing% CorsiFor% (for full click the links)

25. Victor Hedman 26.94% 6.79% 2.48% 54.09%
39. Sami Salo 18.40% 4.45% 1.93% 52.47%
57. Eric Brewer 18.53% 6.18% 2.19% 49.57%
77. Andrej Sustr 24.00% 6.33% 1.83% 50.00%
90. Radko Gudas 23.58% 7.82% 2.04% 48.62%
158. Matthew Carle 27.77 7.21% 1.83% 48.07%

54. Anton Stralman(NYR) 28.87% 5.94% 2.52% 56.17%
136. Jason Garrison(VAN) 20.00% 7.72% 3.70% 47.62%

If you believe those analytics maybe we did not upgrade our defense that much.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If you believe those analytics maybe we did not upgrade our defense that much.

not sure you all are reading the stats right?

at least zone exists have been upgraded by a ton.

Garrison is not replacing salo stralman is and that is a huge upgrade. I get salo has a good corsi but he wasnt doing well on getting the puck out of the zone especially at the end of the year.

As you can see that is also the weakness of brewer. Garrison is not great at it but is upgrade to brewer right now be it has less attempts or time etc..

So we have barberio and sustr with another year under belt

an aging brewer?

Garrison as a semi upgrade and/or gudas.

Stralman stats are huge and figure he will get better and better carles are really solid too.

So our top 4 is healthier and is our top 6 or even 8.

I would love to see the turnover numbers not the stats percentages and icing numbers myself see how those relate to how often they had that opportunity.

Is like when knew salo needed to go was able to pull his numbers on hitting net on power play blocked shots attempts etc. not just a percentage.

Am not sure like percentage with not all the factors involved all the raw data myself:)

Is good measurement but if these are problem areas we have to have them worked on:)

also we are HEAVILY CENTERED meaning most of our guys on offense play center I wonder how that relates to zone exits? Are we better at it than most teams etc..? Since we probably carry and handle the puck better for having so many guys who have that capibility?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If you look at the page, the sorting stat is some combination of touches to corsi against, which is a heavily team dependent stat. Is Salo so highly ranked because he's that good, or because his Corsi Against ends up being low as a side effect of playing with Hedman?

I feel it adds a level of complexity that obscures more than it shows. If you look at the majority of the names at the top of the list, you end up with the same conclusion as if you just look at corsi or some other stat - Unless you actually believe Jake Muzzin is some defensive stalwart.

Edit: The zone exit stat is actually quite interesting, and is probably the more telling of the stats. But it's also not a "complex" stat like the site attempts to create - it's a simple one that gives a portion of the picture.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Salo was so brilliant last season that no team in the league has offered him a contract yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hasn't he been hanging out at our camp? I thought I saw a picture of him skating with some Bolts.

Yup. Another indication of how great he was last year. All this free time to hang out with a team he's not under contract with while 29 other teams he's also not under contract with are entering training camp.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
“He’s done a great job with the team,†Kubina said. “When he took over, the team started playing fun hockey. What I like about the system is they skate and play hard. They don’t sit back on a lot of chances . . . He does a good job with that young group.â€

Perhaps a bit of a slight to Boucher?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
“He’s done a great job with the team,†Kubina said. “When he took over, the team started playing fun hockey. What I like about the system is they skate and play hard. They don’t sit back on a lot of chances . . . He does a good job with that young group.â€

That's how I took it.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
For, me what says the most about a coach is how he handles the teams use and how he can utilize them the right way that will help them grow which Cooper obviously is very good at. Now next season will really be also be Coopers sophomore year (though he was there for a couple games the season before the past one) so he will also have to prove his constancy but I think that he, as well as the rest of the team, will be fine.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I don't think it's an intentional slight as much as a pretty obvious observation. I look at our PK goal total for this past season to the entirety of Boucher's tenure. We have players with more SH goals than the team did for multiple seasons - it's a more aggressive mentality.

With Boucher's teams, I feel like we were either scoring off the rush or on the PP, and that's about it. Now the attitude is - if you have a chance, take it, rather than being too mental. I like Boucher, but I think he wanted the players to think too much instead of just playing.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think it's an intentional slight as much as a pretty obvious observation. I look at our PK goal total for this past season to the entirety of Boucher's tenure. We have players with more SH goals than the team did for multiple seasons - it's a more aggressive mentality.

With Boucher's teams, I feel like we were either scoring off the rush or on the PP, and that's about it. Now the attitude is - if you have a chance, take it, rather than being too mental. I like Boucher, but I think he wanted the players to think too much instead of just playing.

100%. We're slowly transitioning into a team that cycles the puck in the offensive zone. We spent a long time being a one-and-done team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I agree I think Jeff vinik is the best owner in the nhl and not just because he spends money he let's yzerman and his crew run the team the way they want to. Vinik stays out of the way writes the checks I think In years to come owners will start to copy vinik. Yzerman laid out a plan and Jeff vinik gave him what he needed and let Stevie do it. We have seemed to follow the Blackhawks plan when that ownership took over in 2006 or 2007 ?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
100%. We're slowly transitioning into a team that cycles the puck in the offensive zone. We spent a long time being a one-and-done team.

In watching drouin when this kid grows into a top level nhl player we will become this team. Callahan also does this well also with bringing grit. I like the way yzerman is changing this team into that level of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad