*2014-15 NHL TV Ratings*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goflyers215

Jun 5, 2015
The nba PREgame show "countdown" got a 3.5 thats waaaay to close to the scf rating if at any point the pre game show beats an nhl game nhl has to fire the marketing department fast

May 15, 2015
The nba PREgame show "countdown" got a 3.5 thats waaaay to close to the scf rating if at any point the pre game show beats an nhl game nhl has to fire the marketing department fast

Just happened to be like that mostly in playoffs, G1 Pre-game had a 4.6 overnight. Yet ESPN/ABC pre-game is the worst, the TNT pre-game show always draw better numbers and usually dwarfs hockey game.

Last edited:

masa2009

May 11, 2011
Not surprsing that a sport like hockey loses a lot in the adjustment, but are there properties that actually gain ratings points from overnight to final ratings ?

May 15, 2015
Not surprsing that a sport like hockey loses a lot in the adjustment, but are there properties that actually gain ratings points from overnight to final ratings ?

NASCAR usually does, most major sports are heavily driven by big markets.

May 15, 2015
Something interesting buffalo which doesnt seen like a basketball market and is a hockey market but nba is pulling better rating in that area @SportsTVRatings: @TrendingBuffalo didn’t see Buffalo’s rating for yesterday’s NBA game
NHL Gm 1: 7.2
NHL Gm 2: 8.6

NBA Gm 1: 7.6
NBA Gm 2: 9.0

Thanks to a great 14.1 lead-in from Belmont, SCF G2 8.6 > NBA G2 7.4 in Buffalo. Buffalo was No.3 market in both G1 & G2.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Comcast suits figure the loss of local ad revenue in Chicago is worth it as by putting 2 games of the Final on cable every season, NBC can demand a higher fee from cable companies every month.

I would love to know the numbers from Orlando ( 80 miles away )

May 15, 2015
Comcast suits figure the loss of local ad revenue in Chicago is worth it as by putting 2 games of the Final on cable every season, NBC can demand a higher fee from cable companies every month.

I would love to know the numbers from Orlando ( 80 miles away )

The FIFA Women's World Cup on Fox Sports 1 averaged an impressive 71,635 viewers in this market.

Game 3 of the Stanley Cup on NBCSN averaged 39,997 viewers.

Nationally, early ratings showed the Stanley Cup posting a 2.88 overnight rating while women's soccer put up a 2.14.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-women-world-cup-soccer-tv-ratings-20150609-post.html

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
NBSCN has the bulk of the playoffs already, are a must watch for any EPL and motorsports fan (IRL, F1), obviously for a hockey fan, Tour de France, Olympics. They have some pretty good commodoties. Is airing 2 SCF games going to boost their asking price an amount beyond de minimus? It's 2 nights of content that gets a sub 3 rating. Its not the CFB playoff we're talking here. This also isn't Versus or OLN anymore. They are a fairly established brand these days (not close to ESPN, but it seems there are less people complaining about not being able to find the channel on their televisions). It just seems like both the NHL and NBC would be better served placing the entire SCF over the air. The rating on NBSCN wasn't much more than half of what NBC got on Saturday. Ratings should be increasing as the series goes (especially one as close as this one) not decreasing.

Also how are ad revenues split up for national telecasts on the networks? Does the local affiliate get a big cut of it?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Also how are ad revenues split up for national telecasts on the networks? Does the local affiliate get a big cut of it?

The local NBC affiliates get windows to sell local ads during the game. NBC owns the affiliates in some NHL markets - New York, LA, Chicago, Dallas, San Jose, Washington, Miami and Philadelphia.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In Canada, game 2 of the Final got 1.9 million viewers. Airing at roughly the same time, Canada v. China Women's World Cup got 1.67 million.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...n-s-soccer-scores-big-audience-140424365.html

That has to be sending shockwaves through the offices of Rogers and the NHL

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Blackhawks at Lightning, Saturday, CBC: 1,900,000

2. Women's World Cup soccer, Canada vs. China, Saturday, CTV-TSN: 1,670,000

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
TSN just pulled another CFL on a product that was pretty irrelevant just years earlier.

How much is TSN/CTV hype and how much is because of the Canadian bronze in 2012? Canada is considered a competitor whereas in the 2011 Women's World Cup they didn't win a single game. Also, just the fact that it is being held in Canada increases the interest.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Wow, thats kind of surprising.

Why? A lot of Canadian hockey fans don't cheer for the Hawks or the Bolts, so that reduces the interest in the Stanley Cup final. Plus after their bronze in 2012, the Canadian women are seen as definite contenders. As it happens, I was out of town doing other things but I would have watched the soccer over the SCF -- but then I will almost always choose any game where I have a rooting interest over one where I don't.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
TSN just pulled another CFL on a product that was pretty irrelevant just years earlier.

How much is TSN/CTV hype and how much is because of the Canadian bronze in 2012? Canada is considered a competitor whereas in the 2011 Women's World Cup they didn't win a single game. Also, just the fact that it is being held in Canada increases the interest.

Yeah, I wouldn't say the Women's World Cup and TSN has necessarily "pulled another CFL". People will always watch Canada. Plus the fact that the team is perceived as a contender after 2012, and Canada's games were always going to draw well.

And I imagine that game 2 SCF in Canada rating is poor? Can't say I am surprised. Blackhawk fatigue has definitely set in and NOBODY cares about the Lightning.

I suspect most of country is no different than myself with this final...wake me when it's game 7. :nod:

edit: and just a thought, but is it possible Canadians are getting burned out on the Stanley Cup? It has been so long since a Canadian team won it that it barely even seems like the Stanley Cup is what Canadian NHL teams compete for anymore. The Canadian teams just compete with each other to be the last one standing, but it's like the Stanley Cup is exclusively an award for American NHL teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad