OT: 2014-15 NFL Season Thread

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brady looked like a backup CFL qb last night. His decision making was horrid. Scrambles for a few yards back to line of scrimmage instead of going for the first down he tosses a bad pass and it's now 4th down. And those picks, I don't care if the receivers came off their routes they weren't going to be where he was throwing the ball anyways.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Brady looked like a backup CFL qb last night. His decision making was horrid. Scrambles for a few yards back to line of scrimmage instead of going for the first down he tosses a bad pass and it's now 4th down. And those picks, I don't care if the receivers came off their routes they weren't going to be where he was throwing the ball anyways.

I really enjoyed the shellacking of the Patriots last night. It helps when you have Jamaal Charles on your fantasy team when you see a result like that :nod:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

As a Pats fan i knew this day would come. That day is now here.

The Patriots dynasty is over. Like The Devils or Red Wings in hockey.

The defense is still good but the offense is anemic. The WR are terrible, the Oline is terrible. It was a fun ride but now its time to get some younger players and hand over the title of NFLs best team to the Broncos/Seahawks or whomever rises from the ashes.

The AFC East is so bad. Will the winner of the division make the playoffs with an 8-8 record? lol.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I really enjoyed the shellacking of the Patriots last night. It helps when you have Jamaal Charles on your fantasy team when you see a result like that :nod:

The guy I was playing this week had Brady and the patriots defence and I was up 10 points with no one to play.

Brady only had 6 points patriots D had -3. Good Monday night for me :)

4-0!

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Tom Brady has always been a guy that needs maximum protection from the O line to be effective. He is not a great athlete, hes the dying breed of the old school quarterback position, most QB's now are expected to at least know how to scramble a little bit. Guy's like Peyton Manning get away with it because of a quick release and the way he knows how to mess with the D line, hes tricky to read.

I am going to get slammed for this but Tom Brady is massively overrated. He is the product of a lot of hype and being the good old boy. The Patriots have gotten away with a lot of shenanigans under Bellichek including spying on the opposing team during one of their championships.

Hes good don't get me wrong, but how good is manipulated by marketing.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Tom Brady has always been a guy that needs maximum protection from the O line to be effective. He is not a great athlete, hes the dying breed of the old school quarterback position, most QB's now are expected to at least know how to scramble a little bit. Guy's like Peyton Manning get away with it because of a quick release and the way he knows how to mess with the D line, hes tricky to read.

I am going to get slammed for this but Tom Brady is massively overrated. He is the product of a lot of hype and being the good old boy. The Patriots have gotten away with a lot of shenanigans under Bellichek including spying on the opposing team during one of their championships.

Hes good don't get me wrong, but how good is manipulated by marketing.

This is so comical.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If anything, recent years have shown that Brady really was as great as advertised, and the disheveled old grouch in the value village hoodie was in fact the overrated one.

New England's roster is poor, and has been declining for a number of years. That's on Hoodie, not Brady. Hoodie has always been of the belief that he can just cut any veteran as he sees fit and replace them with a 4th round draft pick since every player is just one piece of his "system". That "system", lauded for its brilliance a decade ago when Brady and the elite defensive players left over from Parcells' regime were winning Super Bowls, has proven to be something other than the greatest thing since sliced bread as the years have rolled on.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If anything, recent years have shown that Brady really was as great as advertised, and the disheveled old grouch in the value village hoodie was in fact the overrated one.

New England's roster is poor, and has been declining for a number of years. That's on Hoodie, not Brady. Hoodie has always been of the belief that he can just cut any veteran as he sees fit and replace them with a 4th round draft pick since every player is just one piece of his "system". That "system", lauded for its brilliance a decade ago when Brady and the elite defensive players left over from Parcells' regime were winning Super Bowls, has proven to be something other than the greatest thing since sliced bread as the years have rolled on.

I don't know, I think his draft record (2010 especially) is better than most and that success has allowed him to make the type of deals that are future based. But in spite of that, I don't think he evaluated the current group very well, namely thinking they could deal Mankins and survive, or that they have some infinite timeline for success. Brady can still function at a high level, but he needs help. Would Mankns blocking the interior be the difference? Hard to think one lineman could have that type of impact, but giving a guy like Brady 0.2 more seconds in the pocket could be the difference between high fiving him or scraping him up off the turf.

That and the talent in his receiving corps has been in steady decline over the years. I don't pay enough attention to the NFL salary cap issues of each team to know whether previous roster decisions were necessary, or whether Brady's salary demands have directly affected who they could bring in at WR, but either way, they've done a brutal job assessing that position the last few years. Why have a stud QB you pay 20 mil if you surround him with Edelman and a 1 legged Gronk? That's like putting bald tires from a scrap yard on a Ferrari.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't know, I think his draft record (2010 especially) is better than most and that success has allowed him to make the type of deals that are future based. But in spite of that, I don't think he evaluated the current group very well, namely thinking they could deal Mankins and survive, or that they have some infinite timeline for success. Brady can still function at a high level, but he needs help. Would Mankns blocking the interior be the difference? Hard to think one lineman could have that type of impact, but giving a guy like Brady 0.2 more seconds in the pocket could be the difference between high fiving him or scraping him up off the turf.

That and the talent in his receiving corps has been in steady decline over the years. I don't pay enough attention to the NFL salary cap issues of each team to know whether previous roster decisions were necessary, or whether Brady's salary demands have directly affected who they could bring in at WR, but either way, they've done a brutal job assessing that position the last few years. Why have a stud QB you pay 20 mil if you surround him with Edelman and a 1 legged Gronk? That's like putting bald tires from a scrap yard on a Ferrari.

But that's exactly how the Hood has operated for years. The false belief that anybody he drafts or pulls off the scrap heap can step in and replace an established veteran who falls out of favour, becomes too expensive, etc.

A very good coach, no doubting that, but he's been reading his own press clippings for too long.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know, he's 0-2 against Eli. 18 and 1 still isn't Superbowl champs.

Four QBs have won three or more Superbowls. He's one of them. Just sayin'...

Hey no problem. :thumbu:

Agreed. All five Thursday night games have been brutal. Can't even be bothered to turn on the tv for them. Closest games were 20 point losses. Average game has been won by 29 points!

Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson fiascoes have been painful to watch.

Add to that being a Redskins fan (RG III ... wasted first round draft picks). I might not watch another game until the Superbowl. Which I'm sure my 'skins will be in. :sarcasm:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Won't have to worry about that this year. Giants best case this year is 6-10. They'll beat my skins and the horrible Jags with one other fluke win thrown in to be generous.

Yeah, the Football Squadron got pumped pretty good, they'll probably be 8 and 8, and it will still be Eli 2 - Brady 0 in the head to head. No matter what people want to say.

Pats also won't make it far enough to play a team from the other conference this year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, the Football Squadron got pumped pretty good, they'll probably be 8 and 8, and it will still be Eli 2 - Brady 0 in the head to head.

Right....

One freakish David Tyrell catch away from being 1-1.

On every other count, regular season MVPs, Pro Bowls, overall Super Bowls won, passing yards, completions, TDs, Brady is far better.

Ask the 30 other GMs in the league who they'd take given the choice of the Brady or Eli here and now. Zero would count the head to head record in the Super Bowl as the deciding factor.

Just sayin'....

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Won't have to worry about that this year. Giants best case this year is 6-10. They'll beat my skins and the horrible Jags with one other fluke win thrown in to be generous.

I don't know, they may have looked brutal in the pre-season but part of that was learning a new offence. Eli isn't a prototypical QB for the a West Coast Offence, but it looks like they are starting to adapt now. Jennings gives him consistency in the backfield, Cruz has had some drops but is a legit #1 WR, and Donnel gives them a Graham/Bennet type of "go up and get it" red zone threat (with Eli being a gunslinger who isn't afraid to throw into coverage). If the O-line stays healthy, 9-7 is realistic. Not sure it's good enough for playoffs, but they'll be in the hunt.

As for your Skins, not sure what to say. At least you own your own 1st rder this year?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't know, they may have looked brutal in the pre-season but part of that was learning a new offence. Eli isn't a prototypical QB for the a West Coast Offence, but it looks like they are starting to adapt now. Jennings gives him consistency in the backfield, Cruz has had some drops but is a legit #1 WR, and Donnel gives them a Graham/Bennet type of "go up and get it" red zone threat (with Eli being a gunslinger who isn't afraid to throw into coverage). If the O-line stays healthy, 9-7 is realistic. Not sure it's good enough for playoffs, but they'll be in the hunt.

As for your Skins, not sure what to say. At least you own your own 1st rder this year?

Fair enough. Maybe I was being a little harsh with 6-10 as a best case scenario for the Giants. I wouldn't overstate how good they are after thrashing the Redskins. Eli is on pace for little over 20 INTs.

The three game stretch before their bye week is key Atl, @ PHI @ Dal. If they come out of that 2-1 then they have a chance. While that's possible, I'd say it is as likely as going 0-3 over that stretch. All three of their opponents, IMO are better than the Giants. But any given Sunday.

Bonus points for optimism on the Redskins. Pretty sad that having your first round draft picks is a reasonable high point of the season at the quarter pole. Almost makes me weep.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad