Post-Game Talk: 2014-15 New York Rangers (53-22-7 [RS] // 11-8 [PO]) Warning #516

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
We were 20 minutes away from being in the SCF and the Bolts would be golfing.

Sorry, that margin is far too slim to be blaming it on Sather. He built a team good enough to make the ECF 3 of 4 seasons. SCF last year and 20 minutes from a return trip this year.

What if Zucc doesn't get hit in the head, instead the shoulder and incurs no injury? McD hit in the shinpad instead of the boot? Perhaps those two things don't happen and those 2 players performing at their normal level allows our offense to break through on home ice and score in games 5 and 7. Perhaps with a healthy Zucc it doesn't even make it to 7 because we win games 5 and 6.

Sorry, we were so close that it's beyond melodramatic to call Sather a fool.

This team is not perfect and is structured with some flaws, but that is not the reason we lost. Execution is. Tampa was the better team in this series, but I'm not convinced they are 100% the better team and if that series were re-played with healthy Zucc and healthy McD, G and Staal, that we don't win.

Sorry. Or we could re-play it but give Johnson a concussion so take him out and have Hedman play with a broken foot and Stralman with a broken ankle. No doubt in my mind if Tampa's 3rd most important forward and best defenseman were injured, the Rangers win. Absolutely. Does this make Yzerman a fool?

Or if we don't trade Callahan and he were on our team now with a 6m caphit for 5 more seasons? We don't have room for Yandle and unlike MSL, Cally would've killed our cap for 5 more seasons. Sorry, Sather is no fool.

It's easy to sit here now and say slats messed up by trading Duclair and ANOTHER first for a team that didn't even make the final. But such a decision shouldn't be judged on on the outcome. We were the #1 seed and were, like Cigar points out, 1 good period away from going back to the final. Given how close this team was last year, how they were performing this year, and the uncertainty of future years due to cap concerns, all-in was the right move. Who knows, if Zucc is a foot to his right in game 5, Mac moves away from that shot, Ovi doesn't fire one at the end of a game while down by 2 in the regular season, etc, maybe we're talking about preparing for tomorrow. But those things did happen and here we are. And I bet if we're fortunate enough to be in the same position next year, Sather has a talk with another GM about Buchenivich. How often do you get these chances? As always, I think he did well with trades, but blew the signings. The deals I was not a fan of at the time were stralman/Boyle, Boyle/glass, and trading dorsett. But even with those, we were the best team in the regular season.

And before we can blame injuries, let's see what TB was dealing with. Maybe Stammer has been playing without a left hand since game 3. I doubt they're as bad as ours, but I'm sure they're banged up to.

Ugh, we should be playing tomorrow.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
I read a couple of placs that Nash could fetch Steen, Schwartz, & Oshie. I do that all day.

Game of telephone. Brooks wrote an article that stated if the Rangers wanted to do an overhaul, they'd have to move Nash. Hitchcock has always liked him. The conversation would have to include those three. As in, eg, let's see what StL would offer around each of them. Definitely not for all 3.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Trading Nash has to be entertained. It's become clear that we can't win the cup with him as our best offensive threat. He just doesn't raise his game when it matters. I don't see that changing.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I never said it was the Rangers getting outplayed in Game 7 that sealed their fate.

In fact, if the Rangers had won Game 5, then closed it out in Game 6, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. That is the point right there.

Heck, if the Rangers had taken care of business and didn't split the first two home games of the Eastern Conference Final, we probably wouldn't end up with Ryan McDonagh suffering a broken foot in Game 4, he'd still have jump in his legs, the Rangers dispatch the Lightning before it gets to 7 games, and they keep the Prince of Wales Trophy as their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final.

Instead, we're left with the final results, what could have been, and a long, long summer ahead to think about it. "Butterfly Effect" in action, my friend... :shakehead

Presuming that the Rangers should have won their home games so there should never been a Game 7 is interesting thinking.

In your type of thinking one could similarly say as a Tampa fan, is that if only they had taken care of business, they could have beaten the Rangers sooner.

This idea that a team should win all of their home games is nuts. Home ice advantage doesn't mean all that much in the playoffs. This season should have driven that point home to everyone who didn't know it beforehand.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And you know that we don't need to trade our super choker for uber chokers

While Nash isn't your ideal number one player, I get tired of reading the choking ********. He was second on the team in scoring in the playoffs.

Take Kreider. Over the second half of the season, his stats were near identical to Nash.

In the playoffs, Nash was better on offense, light years better on defense, and had zero stupid penalties, while Kreider had numerous and costly stupid penalties.

I almost never read negative appraisals of Kreider's playoffs, yet there are endless pages bashing Nash.

We all like Kreider because he is lightning-fast and strong as a bull. The excuse has always been that he's young. When does he stop getting to use that excuse?

This isn't about bashing Kreider. It's about pointing out how so many will excuse poor play from certain players while incessantly piling on others, even when they are playing much better than players drawing yet another free pass.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
While Nash isn't your ideal number one player, I get tired of reading the choking ********. He was second on the team in scoring in the playoffs.

Take Kreider. Over the second half of the season, his stats were near identical to Nash.

In the playoffs, Nash was better on offense, light years better on defense, and had zero stupid penalties, while Kreider had numerous and costly stupid penalties.

I almost never read negative appraisals of Kreider's playoffs, yet there are endless pages bashing Nash.

We all like Kreider because he is lightning-fast and strong as a bull. The excuse has always been that he's young. When does he stop getting to use that excuse?

This isn't about bashing Kreider. It's about pointing out how so many will excuse poor play from certain players while incessantly piling on others, even when they are playing much better than players drawing yet another free pass.

In this particular instance you're preaching to the choir. Dactyl was just pointing out the insanity of that trade with sarcasm. Also you're right Kreider needs some criticism as well, he disappeared for large periods of the conference final.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We're already such a good team that we wouldn't have enough holes to fill from a Hank return or the cap space it garnered.

The Rangers need to tweak and don't need a ton of space to do that.

QFT. We were the best team remaining. We were also the most injured.

Where were you a few years ago screaming about how bad his last contract was?

You know, that one took up 12% of the team cap just as his current one does.

:laugh: Please, Nevesis. Don't make great points like that. I want to hear more and more about how terrible Henriks contract is.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

10 goals in 60 playoff games.

Jason ****ing Chimera has more goals in less playoff games than Rick Nash. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Jason ****ing Chimera has more goals in less playoff games than Rick Nash. Let that sink in.

This circular argument is so fun and accomplishes so much!!!

"Nash is quite value and isn't a choker"

"BUT 10 GOALS!!!"

rinse and repeat. Doesn't it get old?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

It has sunk in. I blame Lunkers for letting Chimera score 7 of his 11 career playoff goals on him.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
This circular argument is so fun and accomplishes so much!!!

"Nash is quite value and isn't a choker"

"BUT 10 GOALS!!!"

rinse and repeat. Doesn't it get old?

Doesn't get old as long as people are using their personal opinions to argue against facts.

The ol' Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham....

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It has sunk in. I blame Lunkers for letting Chimera score 7 of his 11 career playoff goals on him.

Hank's new clothing line.

bass-brigade-lunkers-blue-snapback_2_large.jpg

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Doesn't get old as long as people are using their personal opinions to argue against facts.

The ol' Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham....

Rick Nash was the second leading scorer on this team and was playing at a 60+ point pace in the playoffs. That's also a fact and a lot more relevant to me than what he did in a playoff where he was hurt and a playoff where he quite clearly wasn't the same player due to the concussion he sustained earlier in the year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Rick Nash was the second leading scorer on this team and was playing at a 60+ point pace in the playoffs. That's also a fact and a lot more relevant to me than what he did in a playoff where he was hurt and a playoff where he quite clearly wasn't the same player due to the concussion he sustained earlier in the year.

So what you're saying is trade for Lucic? :naughty:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

When you're paid the amount he is to score goals, and you have a total of 9 goals in 56 total games with our team, that isn't getting it done.

Rick Nash hasn't been good enough in the playoffs for us in the three seasons he's been here.

It's an unfortunate fact.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Dan Carcillo may win a cup with the Blackhawks before the Rangers win one. That's funny.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
The problem is we don't get PT and 3 seasons of exciting PO hockey without him and his regular season scoring. He is our Ed Figuaroa (Yankee fans know what I'm talking about)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad