Post-Game Talk: 2014-15 New York Rangers (53-22-7 [RS] // 11-8 [PO]) Warning #516

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think this concept has some merit. I'm not advocating trading away Hank for the sake of trading away Hank. But is it feasible to run with Talbot if the return on Hank is 2 legit young forwards that can snipe....and a draft pick? Hello Edmonton?

You need good goaltending to win the Cup.

My personal theory is that the quality and depth of goaltending is so good in the NHL right now that the presumed best goalies like Lundqvist and Price may or may not outplay the Bishop's and Holtby's of the world. The chances that those guys get just as hot are almost equal to HL doing it.

You need guaranteed top end talent at the other positions like Chicago and Tampa have more than you necessarily need it in goal.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

My personal theory is that the quality and depth of goaltending is so good in the NHL right now that the presumed best goalies like Lundqvist and Price may or may not outplay the Bishop's and Holtby's of the world. The chances that those guys get just as hot are almost equal to HL doing it.

You need guaranteed top end talent at the other positions like Chicago and Tampa have more than you necessarily need it in goal.

Right on, but how is this news to anyone? :laugh:

I mean, people do know that goaltending is important, but you can't win games with just goaltending...you have to score. Goalies don't score, so the onus is on the men in front of them to put the puck in the net.

If we score a goal or maybe two in Game 7, we aren't having this conversation, we're all ******** our pants about Game 1 tomorrow night.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

I mean, people do know that goaltending is important, but you can't win games with just goaltending...you have to score. Goalies don't score, so the onus is on the men in front of them to put the puck in the net.

If we score a goal or maybe two in Game 7, we aren't having this conversation, we're all ******** our pants about Game 1 tomorrow night.

It's only news to people who think that you should still build from the net out. I think it's more the other way around now because it's not that hard to find a good goalie.

It's irrelevant to the Rangers obviously because Lundqvist isn't going anywhere.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
It's only news to people who think that you should still build from the net out. I think it's more the other way around now because it's not that hard to find a good goalie.

It's irrelevant to the Rangers obviously because Lundqvist isn't going anywhere.

Taking only next year into account, do you think trading Hank would be the right move? Not sure what you would get back to make it worth it. Assuming that it has to be valuable assets (as opposed to cap dump) since this year's FA crop leaves much to be desired. It's hypocrisy and will never happen, but Cam at <2 plus another 8.5 worth of scoring? I never thought I'd entertain the possibility, but I think it's a legitimate discussion now that we've seen Talbot play as a starter would (albeit for much less than would be necessary for him to be a true #1).

Xref

Oct 16, 2010

Correct. Which us why the concept of trading Hank shouldn't be such an outlandish idea, if we want to get some legit top end scorers. Not sure how else to get it with him here, short of some landing in our laps out of nowhere.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're already such a good team that we wouldn't have enough holes to fill from a Hank return or the cap space it garnered.

The Rangers need to tweak and don't need a ton of space to do that.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You know you guys are talking radical, right? I agree with you all though. I've been screaming about Hank's horrible contract since he signed it.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

You never know what may happen. He may realize that the team is hobbled with his bloated contract and decide to part ways with the team for his chance at a cup somewhere that needs him. Again....you never know.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
You know you guys are talking radical, right? I agree with you all though. I've been screaming about Hank's horrible contract since he signed it.

Where were you a few years ago screaming about how bad his last contract was?

You know, that one took up 12% of the team cap just as his current one does.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
You never know what may happen. He may realize that the team is hobbled with his bloated contract and decide to part ways with the team for his chance at a cup somewhere that needs him. Again....you never know.

In order to trade him the Rangers would need to find a unique situation of a team that desperately could use his talents over the next 2-3 years and can afford that type of cap hit. It would be difficult to find such a partner without eating at least part of the contract. If McDavid brings Edmonton into the playoff hunt immediately that's one of the few situations I could see it possibly happening. I think Buffalo is still too far away from relevance. Most of the good teams either have a goalie or couldn't afford him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Trading Hank would be very stupid IMO. This team fell short because of massive amounts of totally luck based injuries. They don't need huge changes - they need to have something near 6 healthy d men when they're a game away from the cup. I know it's painful to accept that there's no easy answer, but there's not. It's straight luck who gets hurt and who doesn't.

Talbots resume is still extremely limited. You know what you get with Hank over the big picture and it's incredible. You build out from your best talents and NYRs best talent happens to be Hank.

Blue Seat Spartan

Permanent Vacation
Apr 24, 2012
Richmond County, NY
If the Rangers had scored first in Game 7, they had a good chance of winning the game. A lot of your analysis would then be incorrect. The Rangers were outplayed in Game 7 and lost. Injuries can be cited as a factor, but in any case, drawing broad conclusions based on one game seems silly to me.

I never said it was the Rangers getting outplayed in Game 7 that sealed their fate.

In fact, if the Rangers had won Game 5, then closed it out in Game 6, we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place. That is the point right there.

Heck, if the Rangers had taken care of business and didn't split the first two home games of the Eastern Conference Final, we probably wouldn't end up with Ryan McDonagh suffering a broken foot in Game 4, he'd still have jump in his legs, the Rangers dispatch the Lightning before it gets to 7 games, and they keep the Prince of Wales Trophy as their ticket to the Stanley Cup Final.

Instead, we're left with the final results, what could have been, and a long, long summer ahead to think about it. "Butterfly Effect" in action, my friend... :shakehead

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Rangers fans should hold no ill will at Richards. Love that guy. Hope he gets it done.

While I don't blame him for signing the contract or having his skills deteriorate so quickly, I remain very upset with the fact that he couldn't maintain his conditioning during the lockout. I don't care that he was attending bargaining sessions as a player rep, but his first job was to be ready if and when the season got going. And even he admitted that he didn't.

I won't be rooting against Chicago, but I won't be rooting for Richards either.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
If the Rangers had scored first in Game 7, they had a good chance of winning the game. A lot of your analysis would then be incorrect. The Rangers were outplayed in Game 7 and lost. Injuries can be cited as a factor, but in any case, drawing broad conclusions based on one game seems silly to me.

Yep, Game 5 too.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Sather is not a fool IMO. He is there to make money, not win Cups. And he did just that.

Oh please, Sather has more money than he will ever need. His goal since 1990 has been to win another Stanley Cup; he came to the Rangers because he thought it would be "easy" with all the money the organization could throw around.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I agree with a good amount of this, except the bolded. The chances that one or two goalies will get hot is almost equal to the chance of Lundqvist or Price getting hot. The chance that a individual lesser goalie getting hot is not almost equal to Lundqvist or Price getting hot. In other words, just because you have a lesser goalie who could be as good as Lundqvist for a short stretch doesn't mean you have a goalie who is going to be as good as Lundqvist.

You already have the player that you know will be good enough to contribute to a Cup win. Why replace him with someone who might be?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I agree with a good amount of this, except the bolded. The chances that one or two goalies will get hot is almost equal to the chance of Lundqvist or Price getting hot. The chance that a individual lesser goalie getting hot is not almost equal to Lundqvist or Price getting hot. In other words, just because you have a lesser goalie who could be as good as Lundqvist for a short stretch doesn't mean you have a goalie who is going to be as good as Lundqvist.

You already have the player that you know will be good enough to contribute to a Cup win. Why replace him with someone who might be?

Exactly this.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sather's a fool.

We were 20 minutes away from being in the SCF and the Bolts would be golfing.

Sorry, that margin is far too slim to be blaming it on Sather. He built a team good enough to make the ECF 3 of 4 seasons. SCF last year and 20 minutes from a return trip this year.

What if Zucc doesn't get hit in the head, instead the shoulder and incurs no injury? McD hit in the shinpad instead of the boot? Perhaps those two things don't happen and those 2 players performing at their normal level allows our offense to break through on home ice and score in games 5 and 7. Perhaps with a healthy Zucc it doesn't even make it to 7 because we win games 5 and 6.

Sorry, we were so close that it's beyond melodramatic to call Sather a fool.

This team is not perfect and is structured with some flaws, but that is not the reason we lost. Execution is. Tampa was the better team in this series, but I'm not convinced they are 100% the better team and if that series were re-played with healthy Zucc and healthy McD, G and Staal, that we don't win.

Sorry. Or we could re-play it but give Johnson a concussion so take him out and have Hedman play with a broken foot and Stralman with a broken ankle. No doubt in my mind if Tampa's 3rd most important forward and best defenseman were injured, the Rangers win. Absolutely. Does this make Yzerman a fool?

Or if we don't trade Callahan and he were on our team now with a 6m caphit for 5 more seasons? We don't have room for Yandle and unlike MSL, Cally would've killed our cap for 5 more seasons. Sorry, Sather is no fool.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Oh please, Sather has more money than he will ever need. His goal since 1990 has been to win another Stanley Cup; he came to the Rangers because he thought it would be "easy" with all the money the organization could throw around.

Yet he's done a good job building the Rangers into a legitimate contender over the past 5 seasons and still gets dumped on.

He wants one last cup. It's baffling to me that people think Sather doesn't care, in it for the paycheck. Give me a break. I'm sure he has obscene amounts of money in the bank.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
We were 20 minutes away from being in the SCF and the Bolts would be golfing.

Sorry, that margin is far too slim to be blaming it on Sather. He built a team good enough to make the ECF 3 of 4 seasons. SCF last year and 20 minutes from a return trip this year.

What if Zucc doesn't get hit in the head, instead the shoulder and incurs no injury? McD hit in the shinpad instead of the boot? Perhaps those two things don't happen and those 2 players performing at their normal level allows our offense to break through on home ice and score in games 5 and 7. Perhaps with a healthy Zucc it doesn't even make it to 7 because we win games 5 and 6.

Sorry, we were so close that it's beyond melodramatic to call Sather a fool.

This team is not perfect and is structured with some flaws, but that is not the reason we lost. Execution is. Tampa was the better team in this series, but I'm not convinced they are 100% the better team and if that series were re-played with healthy Zucc and healthy McD, G and Staal, that we don't win.

Sorry. Or we could re-play it but give Johnson a concussion so take him out and have Hedman play with a broken foot and Stralman with a broken ankle. No doubt in my mind if Tampa's 3rd most important forward and best defenseman were injured, the Rangers win. Absolutely. Does this make Yzerman a fool?

Or if we don't trade Callahan and he were on our team now with a 6m caphit for 5 more seasons? We don't have room for Yandle and unlike MSL, Cally would've killed our cap for 5 more seasons. Sorry, Sather is no fool.

We lost in large part because MSL played. He ruined every line he played on, every time.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
We lost in large part because MSL played. He ruined every line he played on, every time.

Nobody could have expected MSL's play to drop as drastically as it did this season. Granted, we all knew he'd eventually decline, but it happened a lot faster and sharply than what a lot of people expected I'd think.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Spot on.

Yandle and Boyle did well vs Tampa because they was no fear of getting creamed. They moved the puck and keeping it out of the zone limited chances against.

Klein was a disaster. Sad because he was so solid until the freak injury. There wasn't one game where I left thinking "Man, Klein had a heck of a game"

And Girardi was his typical self....lots of bonehead plays and he couldnt make up for his partner being ineffective.

A big reason why the PK was so terrible was the top-4 stunk, missed hits, didnt gets sticks in passing lanes and misread everything.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
Yet he's done a good job building the Rangers into a legitimate contender over the past 5 seasons and still gets dumped on.

He wants one last cup. It's baffling to me that people think Sather doesn't care, in it for the paycheck. Give me a break. I'm sure he has obscene amounts of money in the bank.

If we had won last year or this year, I think JG would have been named soon after the parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad