2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't Hamilton still excempt since he has a '92 birthday? He should have an extra year on Hishon, at least according to the rules I found, even though they both signed in the spring of 2011.

Hamilton will be eligible for waivers next year. As a rule of thumb, when an ELC ends for a skater, their waiver eligibility is up. Other factors like NHL games, injuries, signing age, etc can change that... but that works most of the time (especially with players drafted at 18 and signed before re-entering the draft).

Hishon was exempt from waivers because he missed his whole first professional season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kinda funny how two of the very first things Sakic and Roy did when they took over was buy out Zanon and trade O'Brien. Both of those guys are now currently on the Rampage. :laugh:

O'Brien is still Panthers property so no worry there as he won't be around. Zanon seems like a decent guy and probably wouldn't be bad for the young players in the AHL so I wouldn't care if they want to keep him around. Kinda doubt Avs management would be interested in that though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Or you know, keep their existing captain Gervais around. Let's not rule that one out either. Goes back to the problem we kicked around the other day though, it's crowded on defense already. I guess AHL only contracts a re up in the air but most of those would start in the ECHL anyway.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Or you know, keep their existing captain Gervais around. Let's not rule that one out either. Goes back to the problem we kicked around the other day though, it's crowded on defense already. I guess AHL only contracts a re up in the air but most of those would start in the ECHL anyway.

Speaking of...... any idea what happens with that next year? Do we stay on with Fort Wayne or will we get a different ECHL affiliate? If we don't keep Fort Wayne, does LE still stick with them as part of the Blue Jacket's organization?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Speaking of...... any idea what happens with that next year? Do we stay on with Fort Wayne or will we get a different ECHL affiliate? If we don't keep Fort Wayne, does LE still stick with them as part of the Blue Jacket's organization?

Who knows, to be honest. If we got a new ECHL affiliate, I wouldn't mind the Wichita Thunder...of course I say that with 100% bias behind that (I live in Wichita).

I imagine that they'll be staying in Fort Wayne, and there's no news to the contrary, and, once again, there's nothing that says there was any dissatisfaction from either party with their arrangement.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I asked one of the FW beat writers and he said their affiliation is with Colorado (as opposed to Lake Erie) but he said they'll know more this summer. It's nice to have them close for quick travel between but I don't think it's critical. San Antonio's (really Florida's) ECHL affiliate right now is Cincinnati, so that's certainly not any closer. If I had to guess it will stay the same, seems to have worked out. Columbus' is in Kalamazoo so that's pretty close anyway.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I asked one of the FW beat writers and he said their affiliation is with Colorado (as opposed to Lake Erie) but he said they'll know more this summer. It's nice to have them close for quick travel between but I don't think it's critical. San Antonio's (really Florida's) ECHL affiliate right now is Cincinnati, so that's certainly not any closer. If I had to guess it will stay the same, seems to have worked out. Columbus' is in Kalamazoo so that's pretty close anyway.

I'm all for it to stay in Fort Wayne because that is where I live but beyond that it seems like everyone who has played in Fort Wayne liked it and has been better off for doing so, whether temporarily or for longer stays. I can see where the travel time might push their decision to look elsewhere though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nothing is super close anyway, if they have to get on a plane then it really doesn't make a difference. Even Tulsa they'd have to fly to. Texas' ECHL team is Idaho, so much of it makes little sense. :laugh:

I'm all for staying with Ft Wayne myself. A little stability would be nice and I think FW actually helped our players, it was a good place for them to go. Maybe they wish we could have sent them more players (they are going to be pissed if Heard sits all weekend) but the ones we've given them have been good players for them.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Nothing is super close anyway, if they have to get on a plane then it really doesn't make a difference. Even Tulsa they'd have to fly to. Texas' ECHL team is Idaho, so much of it makes little sense. :laugh:

I'm all for staying with Ft Wayne myself. A little stability would be nice and I think FW actually helped our players, it was a good place for them to go. Maybe they wish we could have sent them more players (they are going to be pissed if Heard sits all weekend) but the ones we've given them have been good players for them.

Roman Will was a near Godsend for them. ECHL All-Rookie team, ECHL rookie of the month for multiple months, etc. I'd like to see Heard/Meurs back down in Fort Wayne. They seem to like it there.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
*waves* hello, this is always awkward for us AHL fans, but I figured I would visit and introduce myself. I'm usually found on the NBA boards and the Simpsons thread. I am a Penguin fan in the NHL, but have always enjoyed the Avs on the West (loved Roy even as a Hab). I don't know about your past AHL affiliations or if you guys have had to do this before, it is strange at first but it can get better. When we broke up with Arizona to get back with Florida I remember being a bit unsure, but in the end it was all good. Hopefully the same can happen here.

Oh, and whatever Avs_19 says about me, he is absolutely wrong...unless of course it is nice

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Spurs are one of the best organizations in all of pro sports. Not sure if that means anything for the Rampage or not but it can't hurt to be in business with good people. Certainly better than scum like Dan Gilbert.

Surprised they went for five years when there has been so much talk about them trying to put a team in Colorado. We don't know about opt outs though and I guess the two sides can agree to end it earlier if they really want to.

I don't know man, I kinda like them. They kept them the same as the Spurs colours. Nice and simple. Slap an Avs patch on it and it's good.

;) Huzzah, a familiar face! The Spurs and Rampage seem to have a solid relationship. They were wishing each other luck the other day for the playoffs and final games and they do not use comic sans.

As for the jerseys, we have theme nights, but they probably won't change too much simply because of the whole affiliation change issues plus the Spurs. The whole gift shop is basically black and silver along with our WNBA team. It may seem kinda boring, but I think it is more of a familiarity/family thing. During the Zona days they had a Coyote on the shoulder patch but now it's the Spurs logo.

Curious, what is the low down on Chynoweth and why you don't like him? Like what is his system and such?

PS, we do a February rodeo road trip every year. SA sends off the Spurs and Rampage while the cows take over. Needless to say, that is something you'll notice on the schedule when it is released just in case you are curious about any oddities.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Curious, what is the low down on Chynoweth and why you don't like him? Like what is his system and such?

First of all, welcome. At some point after this AHL season ends, we'll get this thread title renamed to reflect the change from Lake Erie to San Antonio.

I don't believe he's ever had any real success as a head coach (even in Juniors), and while I can't speak on behalf of the much more knowledgeable Lake Erie posters here (like tigervixxxen, she's been very good at watching and breaking down games for us), my dislike comes from his incredible short leash with younger players and then on the other end having all the patience in the world for largely untalented AHL vets like Bruno Gervais.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I figured when this thread needs a roll over in a matter of days I'll change the title then ;)

Anyway, welcome! Would love to have more local fans frequenting. Sometimes I worry I'm talking to hear myself talk too much here as it is.

Oh Dean, where do I begin. The main issue stems from a concern over lack of talent at that position and subsequently the development of our prospects. We haven't had much to work with until Sakic and Roy took over but there still remains questions over how much of it is a problem at the coaching level. I know all coaches favor vets to a certain extent but when he starts dressing 8D and then shortening the bench to 5D and two forward lines during a game it becomes a bigger problem. His lineup decisions and crackpot changes really seem to lead to a lack of focus, either blowing a late game lead or starting in a 2-0 hole very frequently. Some games he can literally rotate every D to play with every other D and same with forwards. It's just not conducive to winning or development. If we can't have one we'd at least like the other. As in all scapegoats maybe they get a little too much blame but we've been ready for a change for a while.

The system itself is decent when executed properly. He's much more dump and chase/forecheck than the Avs but with a solid transition/counter attack that's more like the parent club. They do well in the neutral zone and generating scoring chances. Sometimes the skill level on the lineup isn't high enough to convert too many into goals and they certainly aren't good enough defensively to trap their way to a win. But when they play aggressive it can be a fun team to watch. When they get trapped to death it's downright depressing.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Last highlight video from Lake Erie. They'll be on the road for the final game tomorrow against Hamilton again but you guys are on your own for that one as I can't watch it. Nice 6-3 win to get out of town on a high note. Down 2-0 early (what else) and two quick goals from Hishon and Agozzino tied it up then they just took control from there. Schumacher and Vincour added the others and Street put the cherry on top with two ENG. That's 5 goals in 5 games for Vincour and Aggozino gets his 30th goal of the season. Everyone was pretty decent in this one. Bourke consistently makes things happen when he's given a real line and not rotating with literally nothing on the 4th line. Let's hope Dean sees it that way moving forward as well. As I mentioned earlier Geertsen was scratched so Lauridsen could play a game at defense and not forward, I get the sentiment the last game at home but the wrong guy was scratched. If you watched the video you might have noticed Pickard playing at some point. Yes he came in the third when Sami left with cramps. Picks was all about putting on a show at that point, he was so animated it was fun.

The Bigras report is a bit shorter today as there were more penalties to kill and didn't see as much ice time. However he was still paired with Clark and got in a fair amount of work. He wasn't as offensively aggressive today but is settling down even more in the defensive zone, he's really getting a feel for the game. My favorite moment today was when he dodged a check right at his own goal line, skated the puck all the way to the offensive zone, dished the puck off and went straight to the net and almost tipped the puck in. It's that kind of stuff that he can do all in one continuous motion that makes you say wow. I don't want to sound like the hyperbole cliche but there's damn good reason to be excited about the guy. It's been such a great to watch him all year in junior and then see the game he brought with him to the AHL and how he's adapting it. Geertsen too, to watch him all year and then to see what he can do at the next level is just super cool.

Ft Wayne will put their pitchforks away as Heard actually did get in the game so it was justified that they will have to wait another couple days for them to get their Gretzky back for the playoffs. Speaking of, the Komets won game 1 in the playoffs 4-2. The biggest surprise is they are rolling with Will and not the vet Nagle. Will was awarded first star tonight so I'd say they were happy with the decision.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
I am going to miss Cleveland's alternate jersey....so pretty...the Avalanche should be inspired by it and change their horrible logo and jersey....

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I feel like I am kind of going to miss Lake Erie. It's not like I was following them too close by watching all the games or something, I've rather been checking scoresheets along with the posts of tv but I still enjoyed LE as our affiliate. Loved the jerseys (got a black authentic one myself), the logo, the name and I also think they are one of the teams with the best fan bases and attendance in the A, aren't they?

Don't like the Rampage logo and jersey too much tbh, don't know anything about their fans? But well, in the end the most important thing is if its a good place for our prospects to grow and develop.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It was a good place for our prospects, they had good fans, which is kinda incredible considering how bad the media was. Like how did these people know about the team, telepathy? They had over 15k at the last game. I'll miss it, I was used to some things. I watched every game so it felt like my team too. Of course the players are the most important thing and that's not going to change. I'll learn to love San Antonio too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad