2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it's going to be interesting to find out what happens to the AHL contracts. I mean, teams use them as a way to kind of keep a player within the organization, but they're not signed to NHL contracts.

Hopefully we'll get some news on it soon. I'll give Chambers credit, when the rumors starting getting out there a lot last night, he went to work and got a story that confirmed the Avs were partnering with the SA Rampage. Credit where credit is due, now, he should be following it up and getting some more information.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll give Chambers credit, when the rumors starting getting out there a lot last night, he went to work and got a story that confirmed the Avs were partnering with the SA Rampage. Credit where credit is due, now, he should be following it up and getting some more information.

But he did fail to get Jim Montgomery's take on it... How will I ever know if this is a good move!?!?!?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
In what way? That they didn't want to pay for the travel?

They will pay A LOT less for travel with the team in Portland. In San Antonio, we have one team we can bus to for games. And in those games, they bus back that same night. In Portland, there will be a handful of teams within busing distance.

The other factor is practice time. Due to reduced travel, they will get about 50 more practices per season in POR.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We're not stuck with Greg Zanon again, are we?

:laugh:

In all honesty, I hope we sign a defenseman and Bigras is good enough to make the big club. That should mean that two of Guenin/Holden/Redmond would be in the AHL which despite our hate for them would be a huge boost to the blue line down there.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
We don't like em

Fair enough.

He is, however, the heart and soul of one of the best teams in the AHL this season. So, that's why I made my statement.

So with the history, I'll just go ahead and scratch him out of my defensive pairings for next season. :)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We have some nice defensive prospects, hope you'll enjoy those. Does Florida have many prospects there or is it mostly vets?

Who'd you think you were going to affiliate with? Who were you hoping for? Did the Florida move come as a surprise or was expected?

Last edited:

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
We have some nice defensive prospects, hope you'll enjoy those. Does Florida have many prospects there or is it mostly vets?

Most of our team is Florida prospects, but they did a really good job rounding out the team with vets on NHL or AHL deals. Guys like Zanon, Shane O'Brien, Bobby Butler, and Mark Mancari.

Is there anywhere to see the guys signed to NHL deals with COL through next season? I know the Avs prospect pool is loaded with good defensive talent like Bigras and Siemens, but don't know much else about them. Man, I miss capgeek.

The Florida news stopped being a surprise by about December. I was hoping they'd stick around, but once word got out that Arizona was leaving Portland, the writing was on the wall. I had a strong feeling all along it would be Colorado. SSE wasn't really thrilled with the Coyotes affiliation and how it ended last time and I really didn't see them trying it again.

As for who I was hoping for, honestly, I wasn't thrilled with either option (for very different reasons), but as long as we have AHL hockey, I will learn to love the new guys regardless of NHL affiliation.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I hope Bobby Butler loves San Antonio and wants to stick around. One of the best AHL vets out there. Maybe then they could convince Travis Morin to move over from Cedar park and move Redmond down to play hockey in the state where he was born. I'll keep dreaming but man it would be nice to have some top notch vets on the AHL squad.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I hope Bobby Butler loves San Antonio and wants to stick around. One of the best AHL vets out there. Maybe then they could convince Travis Morin to move over from Cedar park and move Redmond down to play hockey in the state where he was born. I'll keep dreaming but man it would be nice to have some top notch vets on the AHL squad.

I said the same thing about Butler on our last podcast.

Morin just signed an extension with Dallas, so he's not going anywhere.

I'll just agree with your last sentence (vehemently) and leave it at that.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As for who I was hoping for, honestly, I wasn't thrilled with either option (for very different reasons), but as long as we have AHL hockey, I will learn to love the new guys regardless of NHL affiliation.

Why not the Avs? It will be a young team, as it was this year. But the prospects there are better than many would perceive. Getting a new coach would be a step in the right direction and that remains to be seen.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Why not the Avs? It will be a young team, as it was this year. But the prospects there are better than many would perceive. Getting a new coach would be a step in the right direction and that remains to be seen.

Mainly due to the lack of success in Lake Erie and the opinions of people who know prospects far better than I.

I will say this though, If some of the RFA's are qualified (Agozzino, Pickard, Elliot) and find their way to San Antonio, I will be much happier with the affiliation then I first thought I would be.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, mid season shoulder surgery but we expect Noreau back. He'd be a good candidate for the C. Other alternates like Street and Agozzino could be options too.

By my calculations the Avs have 7 forwards, 4 defensemen (2 of which are for the Avs) and 1 goalie to sign. Pickard is our rockstar in goal so Aittokallio most likely will not be qualified. I expect Hishon, Agozzino and Hamilton to get offers, really on the fence about Heard, probably not though. Cant see them keep Vincour, they'll try another euro player. On D Lauridsen won't be back, Elliott is really iffy. 5th year prospect doesn't have much future with the Avs but is a good AHL player. I just don't think we have room, Bigras and Geertsen are two high profile D prospect joining the mix next year. Clark I expect back, they traded for him and he's been solid.

Oh Pickard for sure, he's not going to be the NHL backup as much as people would love it. The way Agozzino has played the second half can't imagine he won't be back. Elliott I just think they don't have room for. The guys replacing him will be better.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This is probably a good guess of the players the Avs will provide next year:

Forwards:
Agozzino
Street
Bourke
Smith
Meurs
Rendulic
Henley

Defensemen:
Bigras (if he doesn't make the big club)
Siemens
Geertsen
Noreau
Beaupre
Corbett
Clark

Goalies:
Pickard
Will/Martin (one will end up in the ECHL)

The forward group will grow with some signings, and maybe somebody like Hamilton/Hishon passing through waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad