2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Do you think that even now, Pickard will probably be the one to come back? I understood the move last time around, but as of late Picks has been even better. If he keeps up, Roy could afford to be smarter with Varlamov and not have him do too much too soon again.

Yeah he already said so too. I know what you mean, maybe rotate them a bit just to see if Varly can handle it but that doesn't seem to be the way Roy rolls.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Monsters lost 4-1 today to Rochester. Not many highlights in this one except for a nice goal by Elliott. The game was much closer than the score. Will let in a couple quick questionable goals and then the Monsters spent 2 periods throwing everything at the net out shooting them like 20-5 at one point until Elliott got the one in. Then they give up a long 5 on 3 at the end of the third period and an ENG to arrive at the final score.

This game got me thinking about some common themes that keep coming up. They just do not have the offensive skill to climb out of holes. They have a few times this year and it's been fun but usually it's just too much to overcome. They can generate shots (sometimes just shot attempts that never make their way through) but they really need some game breaking offensive talent, which is too bad they are at least 2 years away from getting any and that's if the Avs don't take it for themselves first. Some guys certainly have offensive skill (Rendulic, Sgarbossa) but they generally can't generate goals out of thin air themselves. Hishon should be driving the offense a lot more, he's really not much better than Colin Smith (who I'm a fan of but just saying). Elliott, Noreau and Corbett pretty much generate as much offense as any of the forwards do.

Questionable goaltending is going to sink this team, they really need Pickard back for any hope at doing something. Sami might be a bit better but he's done the same thing to them getting in holes early. He was the backup today, I can't imagine why he wouldn't be preferred if he was completely healthy but what's been keeping him out has been a complete mystery. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Too little too late for the Monsters tonight. They lost 6-3 to Utica after being down 5-0 in the third. Will was pulled after 40.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Just starting to think that Will just isn't that good. Hopefully he trains with Allaire this summer and progresses because I want him to be good so badly. The goaltending in Lake Erie will be a mystery next year with Pickard likely backing up Varly and Martin jumping to pros to battle Will and possibly Aittokallio for playing time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why the hell they started Will again when Sami is apparently ok is beyond me. Dean was starting to make sensible decisions for a while and now I'm not so sure. I'm not so sure that Picks will be in Denver next year, I feel like the same argument about him needing to play will come up. I don't think Sami will be back, they won't have places for 6 goalies, which is why they had to send Tremblay away. It's too easy just to assume they'll be rid of Berra somehow. I think Will is still an interesting project, but he's definitely a project. As I said yesterday, Lake Erie needs solid goaltending because they will never be able to consistently create offense to get out of holes.

hf031

Apr 7, 2014
Mooresville, NC
Pickard and Everberg to Lake Erie, and so Will is (mercifully?) back in Fort Wayne. Seems that it's where he needs to be right now as he develops and gets used to the minors on this side of the pond.

Hopefully the Monsters can pick up the run they were on when it was Picks or Sami in net. Will gave up three or more goals in nine of his ten starts. I wonder if there is a confidence factor with the guys in front of him, knowing they pretty much need to bring it on offense or be playing from behind before long.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The latter I fear. He had a ghastly turnover in the last game that lead to a goal. I tried to find the highlights a few days ago but Utica hadn't uploaded.

So far so good. Picks gives them confidence. Scoring on the PP helps things too, who would have thought?

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
The latter I fear. He had a ghastly turnover in the last game that lead to a goal. I tried to find the highlights a few days ago but Utica hadn't uploaded.

So far so good. Picks gives them confidence. Scoring on the PP helps things too, who would have thought?

I'm no expert but does that really have to result in a healthy scratch? Seems severe.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's happened more than once. I've mentioned it here before that it's really the only part of his game that I think is holding him back. One game isn't a huge deal, they have 7 D and Corbett deserves to play. They also don't seem to bother reporting minor injuries so anything is possible. I can't fathom why Henley would miss 3 games in a row. Only reported injuries are Maggio and Vincour.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
So is he just making boneheaded passes that result in turnovers then? Was this a problem of his in juniors too?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Elliott has played well for a while. He's making good decisions with the puck. I think he deserves a shot in the NHL.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Sounded like an amazing game.

2 comebacks by Milwaukee, but Heard finished them off in OT.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Elliott has played well for a while. He's making good decisions with the puck. I think he deserves a shot in the NHL.
Yeah, the only thing holding him back has to be that the right side of the defense is actually decent for the Avs. If nothing else, a good year in the AHL may give him trade value.

It seems like the ECHL demotion did Heard some good. That would be a nice surprise if he became something...anything.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah, the only thing holding him back has to be that the right side of the defense is actually decent for the Avs. If nothing else, a good year in the AHL may give him trade value.

It seems like the AHL demotion did Heard some good. That would be a nice surprise if he became something...anything.

I was thinking it might be too little too late for Elliot now that Redmond is playing in what is essential his role. But if he can be called up and does better than well who knows

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really don't see Elliott getting a callup unless the team moves someone currently on the roster, or they're showcasing him for a trade. If he's called up, he's there to stay. I can't imagine he'd make it through waivers twice, even if he stunk up the place during his time in an Avs jersey.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I really don't see Elliott getting a callup unless the team moves someone currently on the roster, or they're showcasing him for a trade. If he's called up, he's there to stay. I can't imagine he'd make it through waivers twice, even if he stunk up the place during his time in an Avs jersey.

don't think he'd have to go through waivers again unless he plays 10+ games or is up for 30+ days

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Elliott has played well and has earned a callup but Noreau has played just as well and he's been given an A now, he's a good leader. I think both deserve it at some point.

On Siemens, it's often at the blue line, which is why they result in goals. I don't think it's anything that makes him a bad player, it's not stupid decisions, it's just for whatever reason he needs to work on that skill. He's not top pairing D so it's not critical that he's not in the lineup. As I said Corbett deserves to see time too and he played really well tonight. His play is so calm and poised. He touches the puck a lot. Lauridsen may have gotten injured so I'm sure Siemens will be back next game. I'm actually more distressed Henley has been missing for 3 games.

And Heard, clutch Mitch. He certainly found something in Ft Wayne. This is the third time this month he's pretty much won the game for the team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That Heard even get to play in OT shows that he's earned a bit of Chynoweth's trust. At the start of the season he wouldn't have. I have a soft spot for Heard, just like I had for Downie. I think some crazy on a team can be useful.

Siemens will get back in. Players make mistakes at the AHL level. Hishon had a brutal turnover at the 4-4 goal and there was a really bad collaboration between I think Schumacher and Gervais on another goal against.

Carey with a four point night and Sgarbossa with three assists had good nights offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad