2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) & Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) l Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeymm

Dec 27, 2014
Imo Siemens didn't deserve to be a scratch for his turnover mistake. Not 2 or 3 games earlier Stollery did the exact same thing and there was no "punishment". Siemens benched for the second period and now scratched is not developing a player. More likely to grip the stick harder and be afraid of making mistakes. Coach treats him like he's the 7th D and I don't believe he should be. It was nice to have Everberg back. I felt he was more of an offensive presence than say Vinny has been.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stollery more fell over but yeah that was ugly too. Yes they have to keep developing him, like I said one game isn't too alarming. But the turnovers is something I've mentioned here so it's not an imaginary issue. I agree Vinny leaves more to be desired, I was thinking that the other day. He's not bad in any way but just more meh.

Thought this statistical comparison is interesting.

Bourke 21 GP 4G 7A 2 PIM +8
Hishon 28 GP 6G 7A 18 PIM -13

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Deaner is actually coming around on Heard more than anything. IMO Heard was never given a fair shake before this last call up. I still don't think he is anything more than a 4th line pest in the NHL, but if he can become that it is an added bonus.

A scratch for a developing kid is actually a good thing sometimes. They need to learn what keeps them in and out of the lineup. Siemens hasn't been very good lately and needs to refocus.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Utica cuts the lights every goal. That is ridiculous. Why would the AHL allow that?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
That was some sweet pass by Hishon on the tying goal. Perfectly tape-to-tape.
Next time hopefully it's to our own player though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd dial back on the Siemens is a bust stuff. Thanks, Chambers.

You read that too, huh?

I'll say it again--Dater getting fired was the worst thing to happen to the Denver Post hockey/Avs coverage as it currently is because Mike Chambers is infinitely worse.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
You read that too, huh?

I'll say it again--Dater getting fired was the worst thing to happen to the Denver Post hockey/Avs coverage as it currently is because Mike Chambers is infinitely worse.

I think it's still too early to call him a bust, but it's truth he doesn't progress in the way we all wanted. I remember most people here thought he would be our 2nd Adam Foote, he still can but right now IMHO it's more possible he ends up as a bust rather than next Foote.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it's still too early to call him a bust, but it's truth he dpesn't progress in the way we all wanted. I remember most people here thought he would be our 2nd Adam Foote, he still can but right now IMHO it's more possible he ends up as a bust rather than next Foote.

He was the youngest player in his draft class (was almost 2012 draft eligible), plays the position that's hardest to transition to from Juniors to NHL, and is currently in only his 2nd year as a Professional Hockey player (and had a knee injury in his first that kept him from getting valuable playing time), and oh yeah--he's only 21 years old and was one of the last players cut from training camp.

He's no where close to being a "bust".

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Siemens is a defensive defenseman. Evaluating his development from how many points he puts up in the AHL is idiotic.

Most likely Chambers hasn't watched a second of Siemens this year but in his new role as the guy I guess he feels the need to speak as an authority.

It's possible Siemens never will amount to anything and it's possible he'll be a second pairing guy in the NHL. With his size, mean streak and mobility he has a decent chance to make it but he's still very much a work in progress. He'll never put up a lot of points.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
He was the youngest player in his draft class (was almost 2012 draft eligible), plays the position that's hardest to transition to from Juniors to NHL, and is currently in only his 2nd year as a Professional Hockey player (and had a knee injury in his first that kept him from getting valuable playing time), and oh yeah--he's only 21 years old and was one of the last players cut from training camp.

He's no where close to being a "bust".

But also he is not close of being NHL-er in a team that has one on the worst defensive line in the whole NHL. There are at least half-dozen defensmen drafted in quite similar position (around 8-15) in 2011, 2012 and 2013 who already are NHL regulars in much deeper teams in defense than we are. Maatta (drafted even further), Ceci, Trouba, Ristolainen, and also Brodin, Hamilton, Oleksiak from his draft. I don't call him bust, and agree that injuries may hamper his development, but facts are facts he is not near NHL right now. He may be in a year, but also he may not. We don't know it right now. All we know is that he didn't make great progress between his play in juniors and now. Some can say that he even regressed.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hishon on the 4th line.

He probably won't be in the organization much longer.

After the late turnover that led to 4-4 last game, it's no surprise.

I think he's shown a lot of puck skills and probably deserve to have more points than he has, but he's very small and not that great defensively. It's a bad combo when he's not good enough to be a top six player in the NHL.

Roy doesn't rate him that highly. He's called up Rendulic/Smith/Sgarbossa/Vincour/Everberg/Street/Carey/Agozzino over him and I suspect if he could he would call up Schumacher ahead of him. That says it all.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think it's still too early to call him a bust, but it's truth he doesn't progress in the way we all wanted. I remember most people here thought he would be our 2nd Adam Foote, he still can but right now IMHO it's more possible he ends up as a bust rather than next Foote.

I can't speak to everyone's individual expectations and obviously he hasn't been in the fast track like other high firsts have been. But his story is far from written, he's only in the second year of his contract. Regressed is taking it too far and who knows if he will see NHL time this season, plenty of time for him to do that.

In general I don't like the idea that our prospects have to either be superstars in the making or busts. I'm glad some of our prospects are making us real proud right now but it's ok for others to be doing fine and developing. I hate to say even one negative thing because then it's straight to the bust bin. Can't someone just be 21 years old and finding his way?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
But also he is not close of being NHL-er in a team that has one on the worst defensive line in the whole NHL. There are at least half-dozen defensmen drafted in quite similar position (around 8-15) in 2011, 2012 and 2013 who already are NHL regulars in much deeper teams in defense than we are. Maatta (drafted even further), Ceci, Trouba, Ristolainen, and also Brodin, Hamilton, Oleksiak from his draft. I don't call him bust, and agree that injuries may hamper his development, but facts are facts he is not near NHL right now. He may be in a year, but also he may not. We don't know it right now. All we know is that he didn't make great progress between his play in juniors and now. Some can say that he even regressed.

I get the feeling that the plan for this season was for him to spend the entire year in the AHL to help him develop and build confidence.

Roy was happy with him in camp and it sounds like they're happy with him in Cleveland.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I don't think it's really right, nor fair, to compare prospects from different draft classes. Those defensemen you listed may have made their teams for a variety of reasons other than being actually ready for the NHL or better at playing defense than Siemens.

And I disagree with the notion that "some could say that he has even regressed" that you made. He may not have made huge progress, but I wouldn't say he has regressed either.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think it's really right, nor fair, to compare prospects from different draft classes. Those defensemen you listed may have made their teams for a variety of reasons other than being actually ready for the NHL or better at playing defense than Siemens.

And I disagree with the notion that "some could say that he has even regressed" that you made. He may not have made huge progress, but I wouldn't say he has regressed either.
Siemens offence has completely died off since turning pro. I can see the argument for him regressing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Siemens offence has completely died off since turning pro. I can see the argument for him regressing.

I think his offense in juniors was due to him playing with Elliott and on the PP. I don't think anyone expected him to have offense at the next level. He's like a Coburn with less offense and Coburn doesn't have a lot of it.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

Honestly for defensemen points are largely situational. Stuart goes pointless in his first 17 games with almost no PP time. Roy puts him on the PP and he somehow has 4 points in his last 4.

Give Duncan a chance to create offense and he may surprise you. But if the team as a whole doesn't score and he doesn't get any PP minutes then he's not exactly gonna be able to impress with stats.

My guess. He becomes a 2nd pairing shutdown guy who plays with Barrie giving him all the freedom in the world. He averages around 20 points a season. I've always said this. You want a comparison? Hjalmarsson is a good one. A lot of similarities in their games imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad