2014-15 General Wild Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would expect the answer to the question to go:

"I really like what Nino and Haulzy are bringing, but Coyle showed a lot of chemistry with Mikko last year and that second line would be a lot for the other team's to handle...Zucker's been such a pro and such a trooper and right now we're just trying some things...Nino's got to keep working at his game and the chances will come...Charlie adds that net front presence to the power play that we don't have..."

Etc, etc.

@mnwild:

Yeo put @CharlieCoyle_3 with Koivu and @T_Vanek26 today, expects them to play together Thursday: "Mikko and Charlie have chemistry"

I really wish I could pull stats to see just how great that "chemistry" was.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
@mnwild:

I really wish I could pull stats to see just how great that "chemistry" was.

Its such a crap answer. Of course Charlie, and to a lesser extent Mikko, plays better when Coyle on that line. Because Coyle is better than Fontaine and Cooke.

How about trying the logical 4th choice, that's better than all of them, and see if maybe they work together.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Granted, this doesn't show if they played together or not, but here are their stats with and without each other:

Coyle:
Koivu in: 112gp 22g 26a 48pts -10 (0.20gpg 0.23ppg 0.43+/-pg)
Koivu out: 17gp 2g 5a 7pts +3 (0.12gpg 0.29ppg 0.41+/-pg)

Koivu:
Coyle in: 112gp 19g 61a 80pts -10 (0.17gpg 0.54ppg 0.71+/-pg)
Coyle out: 23gp 4g 14a 18pts +2 (0.17gpg 0.61ppg 0.78+/-pg)

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
All I know is that this coach better figure out something that allows this team to actually score at an acceptable rate. There's no reason they should struggle as much as they do given what's at their disposal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
According to Graff, Yeo said "for the thousandth time" his reason for Nino on the 3rd is that he wants him and Vanek both at LW.

I've never heard that reported once, or any reason actually why Nino doesn't get the opportunity. We have seen Yeo play Nino at RW quite often in his year here.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
All I know is that this coach better figure out something that allows this team to actually score at an acceptable rate. There's no reason they should struggle as much as they do given what's at their disposal.

For sure. Regardless of the "system" that they play, the Wild should be top 10 league-wide in goals scored per game.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
We had 8 goals in the first two games, which is great, and 2 goals in the last two against two of the better teams in the NHL.

It's been four games, with a whacky schedule mixed in there. No need to hit the panic button yet. This isn't a big enough of a sample size yet to conclude that we will continue to struggle to score.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Or, they had a 5 goal outburst on an Avs team that really wasn't ready to play and got ran train on all night. Come back with 2 and an empty netter. Plus 2 in two games.

To me, I still see shades of what we've been seeing under Yeo's tenure. A lot of low percentage stuff. It doesn't help that players who aren't going to be all that productive (Cooke, Fontaine, Coyle) are seeing prime minutes.

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Vanek-Granny-Pommer
Parise-Koivu-Nino
Zucker-Haula-Coyle
Cooke-Brodz/Carter-Fontaine

Parise can produce on any line and I'd like to see what Vanek can do with Granny and Pominville. Nino deserves a top 6 shot bottom line. You could argue he has been our second best forward so far after Parise. I also would like to see Zucker and Haula together.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Or, they had a 5 goal outburst on an Avs team that really wasn't ready to play and got ran train on all night. Come back with 2 and an empty netter. Plus 2 in two games.

To me, I still see shades of what we've been seeing under Yeo's tenure. A lot of low percentage stuff. It doesn't help that players who aren't going to be all that productive (Cooke, Fontaine, Coyle) are seeing prime minutes.

I see it too. I guess I'm just not ready assume that our PP will continue to be so unproductive and that 40+ shots will always equate to less than two goals for us. This is the Wild we are talking about though, so perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
So. Jason Zucker has had 2 goals and 6 shots from the fourth line. On top of that he had at least one shot on the crossbar while creating more chances with his speed and drive. What more does he have to show to get moved up? This is no fourth line player. Before this season I had doubts on Zucker but he's done nothing but impress so far. Do something, Yeo. If you don't want him on top 6, for whatever reason, move him with Haula in the third. That could be a dynamite pairing.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Per LaPanta:

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Fontaine
Zucker-Carter-Cooke

I think the bigger slight in this whole situation is Brodziak sitting and Carter starting on that fourth line... I just don't understand, Brodz has been very solid for this team. Sure, not always scoring at a consistent pace, but very very solid. I mean, if an injury happens to the top 3 centers are we going to be playing Carter on the third line? Yeah, I realize Coyle would probably just shift to center, but why? Brodz is capable of playing THIRD line center, yet he can't even make the fourth line on this team?

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Rachel Blount said:
Yeo is hoping Coyle's speed--and his familiarity with former linemate Koivu--can jump-start a second line that hasn't produced. Koivu has no points in the first four games, while Vanek has only one assist.

Mike Yeo said:
Mikko and Charlie have had a lot of chemistry together in the past. They're both big bodies, they're both strong on the puck, and Thomas should fit that as well. One thing that excites us right now is the way Charlie is skating. His speed is very noticeable; it's been a real factor out there. We think adding that element to that line could really help.

I'm sorry but what the ****, Yeo?! You want speed there, how about Zucker? Coyle is definitely not fast. If you must have Coyle there at least spare us your weak excuses. ****'s sake.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Koivu and Coyle have chemistry? Are they making illegal substances? 'Cos I sure as hell don't see it on the ice.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think the bigger slight in this whole situation is Brodziak sitting and Carter starting on that fourth line... I just don't understand, Brodz has been very solid for this team. Sure, not always scoring at a consistent pace, but very very solid. I mean, if an injury happens to the top 3 centers are we going to be playing Carter on the third line? Yeah, I realize Coyle would probably just shift to center, but why? Brodz is capable of playing THIRD line center, yet he can't even make the fourth line on this team?

I don't think Brodziak is a good third line center. It's hard to say about Carter. He didn't play well at all IMO first three games, but has back to back games with assists. So, I could see not wanting to take him out.

Brodziak's puck possession numbers, in addition to his offensive numbers, in addition to his +/- numbers, say that he's not a very good third line center.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
What would Brodz fetch? A 5th or 6th rounder, maybe?

E: Oops, wrong thread! Well, still on topic. :)

Last edited:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Koivu and Coyle have chemistry? Are they making illegal substances? 'Cos I sure as hell don't see it on the ice.

xbzknj.jpg

:sarcasm:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I'm not worried about scoring just yet. We put enough lucks on net to beat both LA teams but both goalies were terrific. I do have my disagreements with the lines. Everyone loves Pominville - Granlund but I think Granlund and Parise have more palpable chemistry at the moment. Pominville hasn't looked good. Keeping that in mind and in an attempt to revitalize the chemistry Vanek Pominvie had in buffalo, here are my requested forward lines

Parise - Granlund - Niño

11 & 64 generate so manh chances. Niño can finish and has earned a chance. Adds some size to this unit too which is nice.

Vanek - Koivu - Pominville

This line might be too slow. But I think it is worth a shot. Maybe even try Haula here instead of Mikko.

Zucker - Haula - Coyle

Cooke/Carter - Brodziak - Fontaine

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
just a guess but the line changes probably have something to do with how he thinks we match up vs an opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad