2014-15 General Wild Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think Vanek is a guy you have to let roam on the PP. He's not a guy who's going to take a beating in front of the net ala Parise. He works best working his way into the traffic areas to find loose pucks, not posting up. Personally, he's a guy that should be attached to a player like Granlund's hip, especially on the PP.

The problem with the Wild's PP is that there's no room within it to allow for Vanek's (or other players) creativity and to play to their strengths. Which is what got them all to this level. You can see early that they want him in this spot and that's where he is. It's too rigid and that's always been their prime issue.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
And how will "firing" him for a slow start help the team? Who do you suppose will replace him? Should we "fire" Vanek for his slow start too? And points shouldn't be the only thing we look at when evaluating Koivu.

It's not worth arguing with people who don't believe in Koivu.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
And how will "firing" him for a slow start help the team? Who do you suppose will replace him? Should we "fire" Vanek for his slow start too? And points shouldn't be the only thing we look at when evaluating Koivu.

He's referring to a thread that exists as an overreaction to criticism of Koivu, where people satirically criticize him in order to mock and belittle posters who genuinely criticize Koivu.

I've never seen a more polarizing player in Wild history, so it brings out very opposing opinions.

Screaming Buffalo

Oct 19, 2010
MN
He's referring to a thread that exists as an overreaction to criticism of Koivu, where people satirically criticize him in order to mock and belittle posters who genuinely criticize Koivu.

I've never seen a more polarizing player in Wild history, so it brings out very opposing opinions.

Thanks

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It still surprises me that many don't get what is wrong with the pp. We have tried Granlund,Koivu,Parise,Pominville,Vnek changed player after player. Only one thing stays and that is Ryan "bad shot, no creativity" Suter.

And sometimes he stays there for whole 2 minutes just because he feels like it. Wild pp was very good when there were defencemen like Zidlicky manning the point. Look at Ducks, they have a player like Vatanen there instead of Fowler.

I wish we had a player like that, oh but we have exactly a player like that. Too bad Yeo and Brunette for some reason doesn't see that. PP will get better but it won't be top15-10 as long as Suter is there. It's not about Koivu or Granlund.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Weird how Minnesota fans rip on Koivu and yet Boston fans praise Bergeron non-stop. Yeah, Bergeron is a better skater and a little more skill, but they are very similiar players.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Weird how Minnesota fans rip on Koivu and yet Boston fans praise Bergeron non-stop. Yeah, Bergeron is a better skater and a little more skill, but they are very similiar players.

This is a misconception, it is a few posters who are a very local minority.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
One interesting development is Coyle's "demotion" to the 3rd line. I think that is where he belongs until he starts finishing his plays more. Seems like Yeo isn't giving him a free pass into the top-6 anymore.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Bergeron = 0.28gpg 0.75ppg
Koivu = 0.21gpg 0.75ppg

You're seeing about 33% more goal scoring out of Bergeron, so that's something right there. Goals will always be more valuable than assists.

And winning solves a lot of problems. Boston has a Cup and some deep playoff runs lately, while the Wild just started to climb out of the first round.

Also, I don't see why pointing out a couple flaws in Koivu's game is "ripping" on him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Let me know when Koivu scored 30+ goals, stays healthy and averages around 20+ goals per season...A little more skilled?

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Hopefully people aren't overreacting over losing 2 games in a row one of which Won the Western Conference last year with the most points and the other just won the SC. We lost to them by a combined total of 2 goals, we didn't dominate but I thought we had a clear edge in play, and consider they had the home ice advantage along with the last line change. Quick was just sick.

Way to early to be so damn critical, the only thing that has me a little irked is our lack of scoring but again we didn't just play the Oilers. This time they'll nip it in the bud before it becomes out of hand like in years past. I hate being Mr. positive.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
espn power rankings, we dropped to #18 ouch! http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Minnesota drops a million spots for allowing 4 goals so far, while Nashville and Washington are lauded for "only" allowing 11 and 12. Colorado climbs spots because despite still being terrible and losing their goalies, they play 4 games at home soon.

It's a pretty great thing, that list.

ESPN has two guys who alternate doing the power rankings every week, so lets wait until week 3 to find out where we are according to the guy who had us at number 2 last week.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota

I love how you just throw those out there like they're no big deal. Koivu just being a better skater would help a lot.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm not worried about any of it. We're good. If anyone is surprised by how those games turned out I'd think it would be that we outplayed the Kings. If our PP could cash in, we'd be better, obviously. It looks better, but no results so...
I think we stick with it and the results will come.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
It still surprises me that many don't get what is wrong with the pp. We have tried Granlund,Koivu,Parise,Pominville,Vnek changed player after player. Only one thing stays and that is Ryan "bad shot, no creativity" Suter.

And sometimes he stays there for whole 2 minutes just because he feels like it. Wild pp was very good when there were defencemen like Zidlicky manning the point. Look at Ducks, they have a player like Vatanen there instead of Fowler.

I wish we had a player like that, oh but we have exactly a player like that. Too bad Yeo and Brunette for some reason doesn't see that. PP will get better but it won't be top15-10 as long as Suter is there. It's not about Koivu or Granlund.

I agree 100%. Suter is terrible on the PP. He's got a weak shot, no threat there, all the defenders have to do is leave Suter open because he's just going to keep passing it back to the guy on the right side wall. Get someone with a booming shot like Scandella out there.

And nothing pisses me off more when Suter stays out there all two minutes, while four other players change about half way there.:rant::rant:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Minnesota has finished 17.9% the last two seasons on the PP with Suter. They were 15.1% the year before that without him. I'd say he's helped.

Under Richards, they were 18.2% and 19.1%. And that's not with much talent.

The problem is the scheme. Yeo's PP plan has never been that great. We've had the best teams in Wild history and are cashing in less often than when we had Havlat and Bouchard and Miettinen out there.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Bergeron = 0.28gpg 0.75ppg
Koivu = 0.21gpg 0.75ppg

You're seeing about 33% more goal scoring out of Bergeron, so that's something right there. Goals will always be more valuable than assists.

And winning solves a lot of problems. Boston has a Cup and some deep playoff runs lately, while the Wild just started to climb out of the first round.

Also, I don't see why pointing out a couple flaws in Koivu's game is "ripping" on him.
So just ignore that Berger on had been playing on a much better team with better linemates and in an easier conference?

Besides, chipping in a couple more goals and being a prettier skater should not account for the different treatment between Bergeron and Koivu. Like night and day.

Koivu needs to be better, but for once he is slotted in the right role as 2nd line two-way center

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If you take Suter off the PP, you now don't have much of an option for zone entry. Not to mention you have to find someone who can handle the puck as well as he can up top and still be dependable when the puck goes the other way.

Yes, he's not prototypical with a shot to match but the Wild just don't have much of a better option for that spot either.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
So just ignore that Berger on had been playing on a much better team with better linemates and in an easier conference?

Besides, chipping in a couple more goals and being a prettier skater should not account for the different treatment between Bergeron and Koivu. Like night and day.

Koivu needs to be better, but for once he is slotted in the right role as 2nd line two-way center

Yes, if you take away Bergeron being a better skater, a better goal scorer, a better defensive player, having more team success, and if you assume that Marchand and Smith/Seguin were better than Parise and Heatley/Coyle (they weren't), then sure Koivu is the better player :speechles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad