2014-15 General Wild Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I would like to see Zucker on the PP. His speed for zone entries and shooters mentality would be a big help. Zucker has confidence and has been finishing chances which is exactly what the PP needs. My two units would be the following…

Zucker-Koivu-Vanek
Pominville-Suter

Parise-Granlund-Nino/Coyle
Spurgeon-Scandella/Dumba

I think these are two balanced units with some good built in chemistry. Zucker-Koivu-Vanek has looked good when playing together and Pommer on the point has chemistry with Vanek and could be the spark to get him going goals wise.

On the other unit you have Granlund and Parise who play great together. Coyle or Nino can provide a big body or setup in the slot for a one-timer. Obviously Spurge is our best point man and Scandy/Dumba can bring it from the point.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Yes, if you take away Bergeron being a better skater, a better goal scorer, a better defensive player, having more team success, and if you assume that Marchand and Smith/Seguin were better than Parise and Heatley/Coyle (they weren't), then sure Koivu is the better player :speechles

Bergeron is just much more of a scorer than Koivu ever will be as well as having the benefit of staying healthy. Obviously Koivu isn't ever going to hit 30 goals like Bergeron has multiple times, but if Koivu had played a full 82 in any of the last 4 seasons he would have almost definitely reached 20 goals and at least 60 points. To me there isn't really any argument that Bergeron is the better player but the gap is much smaller than most give Koivu credit for IMO.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yes, if you take away Bergeron being a better skater, a better goal scorer, a better defensive player, having more team success, and if you assume that Marchand and Smith/Seguin were better than Parise and Heatley/Coyle (they weren't), then sure Koivu is the better player :speechles
Straw man HAH!

I said Bergeron better than Koivu, but they are comparable players, hence, why the chasm when it comes to opinion of them? The difference between Bergeron and Koivu in reality does not equal the difference between internet Bergeron and internet Koivu.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Straw man HAH!

I said Bergeron better than Koivu, but they are comparable players, hence, why the chasm when it comes to opinion of them? The difference between Bergeron and Koivu in reality does not equal the difference between internet Bergeron and internet Koivu.

Boston is a city with an abundance of pro sports success. That success leads to something called pride. Boston fans are proud of their players. Minnesota has zero success, leading to pessimism. Essentially, Koivu is the face of a failed era in Minnesota hockey history.

Finnish fans have a completely different opinion. Koivu led their team to Olympic and WC success. They love him to death and will always support him. Same player. Different circumstance. Different impression.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
It's not just about NT success. Many of us Finns here have been Wild fans for years, and after watching numerous Wild games, we get that while Mikko isn't perfect, he is a darn good player. Yes, Mikko being the captain of our NT and the best Finnish skater since Selänne does help a lot.

For the record, I still see Mikko as the better overall player than Granny. The situation might be different in a year or two. I also feel that Bergeron > Koivu, and I think many Finns feel the same.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Boston is a city with an abundance of pro sports success. That success leads to something called pride. Boston fans are proud of their players. Minnesota has zero success, leading to pessimism. Essentially, Koivu is the face of a failed era in Minnesota hockey history.

Finnish fans have a completely different opinion. Koivu led their team to Olympic and WC success. They love him to death and will always support him. Same player. Different circumstance. Different impression.
Can't argue with that.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Yet niño still gets stuck on the third line and your still leaving your better fourth line center in the box.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Chad Graff is finally going to ask Yeo about Nino's usage with regards to the top 6.

I don't expect much honesty, probably something along the lines of I really like Nino with Haula, but its nice to see Yeo confronted by his obvious preference for Coyle at the determent to the team.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Yeo and his Coyle mancrush strike again. :shakehead

Yet niño still gets stuck on the third line and your still leaving your better fourth line center in the box.

Based on who was out there this weekend when the Wild got scored on, it would seem it's time to bring Brodz back at least for a game.

Chad Graff is finally going to ask Yeo about Nino's usage with regards to the top 6.

I don't expect much honesty, probably something along the lines of I really like Nino with Haula, but its nice to see Yeo confronted by his obvious preference for Coyle at the determent to the team.

Yes, he'll probably just dodge the question.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Demoting Zucker makes no sense. At all. Quit scoring goals Zucker. Just have nice board play like Coyle, don't produce and you'll get a top 6 role no problem. ****ing ridiculous.

And lol Bergeron is similar to Koivu. Bergeron is better than Koivu in almost every facet of the game.

Another awesome stat. Bergeron almost had as many goals last year as Koivu has had the last three.

Last edited:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'm not sure playing on Koivu's line is better than playing with Haula. That 3rd line looks like money to me.

Lucky Nino.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Per LaPanta:

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Vanek-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Fontaine
Zucker-Carter-Cooke

#Yeolo

sheldon-throwing-papers-gif.gif

Seriously, I haven't caught much this year, but what in ****ing balls has Coyle done to earn a top 6 spot?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Are these practice lines we're getting all worked up over?

I think its more of Yeo refusing to give Nino/Zucker chances that gets people worked up.

Instead he goes back to the Coyle well, that has thus far been absolutely futile. The practice lines generally make it into the games.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would expect the answer to the question to go:

"I really like what Nino and Haulzy are bringing, but Coyle showed a lot of chemistry with Mikko last year and that second line would be a lot for the other team's to handle...Zucker's been such a pro and such a trooper and right now we're just trying some things...Nino's got to keep working at his game and the chances will come...Charlie adds that net front presence to the power play that we don't have..."

Etc, etc.

Are these practice lines we're getting all worked up over?

Why practice with lines you aren't going to use in a game? Nobody's injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad