2014-15 AUS Regular Season

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That would be 6-0, Rob. Who wooda thunk it?
I agree with you on STU. Didn't mean to imply that they have no skill. But, Boes did not have to make any great saves cause STU didn't force him to. Credit Dal for keeping the shots outside, but .... A bad goal and empty-netter translates into a 1-0 loss. Will be going to Dal tonight. Should be interesting with a pissed off UPEI squad coming in.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
can someone please clear my mind and tell me why Shantz continues to get every start in net for UNB? his save pct is horrid, the only game he didn't start was a shutout.

Letting all three of the first 3 shots you face in the net isn't really acceptable. When your team allows only 13 shots on goal at this leaves of hockey you should be winning every one of those games

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal wins 2 in a row for the 1st time in 100 years. Good tilt in Halifax tonight. UPEI had the edge in the 1st and 3rd with Dal winning the 2nd. Turning point was a double minor to Armstrong of UPEI on a questionable Crosscheck call. He got the added minor for unsportsmanlike for his comments to the Ref. Dal scored late in the 2nd and early in the 3rd on both halves of the penalty to go up 3-2. UPEI tied the game and lost in OT when Armstrong fell near center ice with Dal on the rush. Turned into a 3-on-1 and they crashed the net and scored. Tough loss, good win. Nice to see my 2 faves, SMU and ACA have 4 point weekends, however shaky the wins were.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 4 UNB 3 (ot) - An exciting game with a playoff feel to it. Very sloppy though. Especially by UNB in their own end. First year player Zachery Franco with two goals for the Axemen including a nice shot on the game winner. Both teams are now tied for second overall. Looking forward to these two teams hooking up again in the second half.

SMU 4 Moncton 3 (ot) - Huskies tie it up in the last minute and win in overtime. Looks like Les Aigles may have outplayed them as the shots were 40-27 in their favor.

Dalhousie 4 UPEI 3 (ot) - This score surprised me. Boes may have had a stellar night in goal as he turned aside 37 of 40 shots. Parks got the start for the Panthers.
The Tigers are now two points back of the Panthers for the last playoff spot.

STFX 2 STU 1 - Poor Tommies. Just can't get it done. On the bright side it looked like Teichmann put in a solid performance. X is now tied with Les Aigles for fourth.
Tommies look to get their first win next Friday when they host the Tigers.

So four one goal games in the AUS tonight. :handclap:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Parks didn't play last night. He is out until the 2nd half according to Forbie. When I saw 49 in goal, I asked the timekeeper who said it was Mahalak. He wore #50 on Friday night, so I can't figure it out.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
Parks didn't play last night. He is out until the 2nd half according to Forbie. When I saw 49 in goal, I asked the timekeeper who said it was Mahalak. He wore #50 on Friday night, so I can't figure it out.

When did mahalak commit? I thought he was still floating out there. Missed that one all together.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

I was wondering about that. It fooled the official scorer as well.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
He may have figured on having better luck wearing Park's sweater. No idea what happened to his sweater between Friday and Sat.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
When did mahalak commit? I thought he was still floating out there. Missed that one all together.

Not sure of exact date, but was mid-late Oct.

Edit: Stats indicate he played 6 games, so at least 2 weeks ago, probably more like 20 plus days.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Do you think the Tigers have a real shot at a playoff spot? They have played better then I expected.

I keep waiting for the Panthers to pull away but they aren't playing as well as I though they would be. Big name recruits up front but I guess they are still rookies after all.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Whenever someone talks of Dal or STU making the playoffs, my 1st thought is " who will they overtake for 6th" . UPEI could be that team. Dal has to continue to win over STU, perhaps get the odd point against SFX and UdeM. Boes looks like the real deal. They work hard and don't quit when they are down a goal or two. They are still prone to taking bad penalties at times. They have only dressed 19 skaters total, leaving 3 spots not used. Joyce and McConnel have not played yet; Duke has only played 3 games. They are closer than STU to making the playoffs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STU 4 Dalhousie 0 - First win of the season for the Tommies. A shutout no less. Teichmann with 27 saves. Didn't see any of the game but I am sure it was a well deserved win. So many close calls so far this season.

UNB 5 SMU 2 - In a reversal of last Friday night it was the VReds who jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Beat Peters for 4 goals on 8 shots in the first. Huskies ended up outshooting UNB 29-28 but it seemed like the VReds were in control of the game for 60 minutes. UNB played the end of the game with just 3 dmen.

STFX 3 Moncton 2 - X win their 7th game in a row and put some distance between themselves and Les Aigles in the standings. Shots favored X 37-22.

Acadia 4 UPEI 3 - Real tough loss for UPEI. The Panthers blow two separate leads in the game and outshot the Axemen 35-22. The Axemen should certainly be credited with making the comeback. The official scorer is still convinced that Parks is in nets for the Panthers.

So the VReds and the Axemen both move within a point of the Huskies for first. Tigers fail to tie the Panthers for the last playoff spot. Will not get to see any of the games tomorrow night unfortunately.

cisno1fan

Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
It has been TERRIBLE for BUFFERING.

Buffering is terrible regardless which rink is providing the broadcast which implies it is NOT a University specific issue. Tonight we watched UNB-STFX, SMU-MON, PEI-DAL and all were buffering. Definitely not Univ. specific.

In years past, with different providers, the broadcast were much better.

Now with Bell Atlantic having exclusive distribution it has become TERRIBLE.

I have also asked several other parents to confirm if it was just us but EVERYONE I ask is experiencing the same BUFFERING.

The common attribute is Bell Atlantic. If I were the advertising people like SubWay and Adidas, I would be putting pressure on Bell Atlantic as well.

Hopefully enough FANS complain to get this fixed.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Not to wish ill on anyone, but Am I glad to see these entries, thought it was " Just me", or beginning to think that. It is from every rink in the AUS, and I am actually longing for the good old days 9 years ago when I first started getting it and using pay pal. At least it was reliable this is garbage. Last night SMU vs UdeM I shut off the modem for about 1 minute, and that seemed to improve it, after a few miscues...but then these entries suggest more are experiencing it so it can't be only my modem. I find when you contact support, it goes to whomever is doing that particular game, if there is a way to contact AUS TV it would be better I think. The broadcast guys are not responsible for the technology. Out of the Hfx Forum it has been very dim lately too, and they put their score banner in the way of the play when it goes into the corner, but they can be told about that. I would say lets contact the AUS somehow, ( All of us, one person alone isn't going to get listened to) and let them decide. If that fails, contact the broadcast guys during the game and tell them, they may know someone who is in charge I would also suggest preparing a message, cut and paste to your email to them about how it has been going on all season, not just this game. Funny thing is, Budweiser and Subway are sponsors now, and it is the worst it has ever been.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
Webcasts

Are you guys using a Mac or a PC? I can usually watch most games on my iPad with very little trouble. Although I will admit that I didn't catch any games this weekend so the broadcasts may have gotten worse.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I only watch the hockey on there....but I wonder, are the other sports just as bad? Could it have anything to do with the number of people trying to watch?

Seems to be hockey webcasts in particular. Most AUS basketball, volleyball and soccer games have been fine (outside of AUS men's soccer finals in Newfoundland).

cisno1fan

Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
In an attempt to contribute to the comment about "Could it have anything to do with the number of people trying to watch? ", the answer would be YES. During streaming, the data is coming from the AUS source (per university game active) to each end point (PC, MAC or iPad) watching. It would be reasonable to assume (start looking at) it is a congestion issue within Bell Atlantic. I could be wrong.

I admit I have not tried other sports, but would speculate that there may be more people streaming Hockey games than any other sport. Even if there is NO problem with other sports, it will not resolve the issue with Hockey games, unless it contributes to a process of elimination (eliminating University equipment).

This should not be a difficult issue to resolve with some attention from some Bell Atlantic technical resources monitoring key throughput points. Simply need to contact one or more of the consistently failing (buffering) end users and start trying some adjustments. This weekend we were seeing 15+ buffering resets per period.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The video streaming is outsourced by Bell Aliant to a group called Streamit. I can't find any info on them other than their name Register is based in Toronto and their DNS is based in Pennsylvania.

http://home.streamit.ca/

The streaming is part of Bell Aliant's Media offerings under the brand "Community One".

http://www1.bellaliant.net/communityone/

You can bother the advertiser, or go right to the source - the provider (Streamit) and the host (Community One).

I had buffering on Friday, but it was better vs SFX (albeit the screen was way too bright).

E.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Are you guys using a Mac or a PC? I can usually watch most games on my iPad with very little trouble. Although I will admit that I didn't catch any games this weekend so the broadcasts may have gotten worse.

Yeah, I was watching some of Friday's games on my iPhone and the quality was pretty good.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I use a PC, albeit one that is 3-4 years old now so it might not be the most up-to-date. But I have used this same computer to watch other sports streams without any issues, just as recently as Friday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad