2014-15 AUS Regular Season

cisno1fan

Mar 1, 2013
Ontario
The actual end provider may be several sub-contractors deep, but the name on the screen that I see appears to be Bell Atlantic.

Who ever AUS is contracting this out to should be held accountable, or the AUS should be held accountable.

Last year and the years before it was better and did vary a little depending on the University. Now it is consistently bad for all Hockey games.

But I agree, some are worse than others. Occasionally it varies from one period to the next. But, it is definitely worse this year than others.

This may just be more severe for out of region observers. My reference points (other viewers) are all from Ontario.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm from Fredericton...it's still terrible. The games from Halifax and Antigonish this weekend were brutal. I watched some of the UPEI/Acadia game on Friday night and that was a bit better.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
It's not any better watching OUA games. I watch pretty regularly as I have a kid playing there. Buffering is constant and I often disconnect and reconnect as the picture freezes all the time. The picture is so bad that the only way I can pick my kid up is that on his team he is the only forward wearing a single digit number. I contacted the group that administers the online broadcasts and all they gave we as the old "lack of bandwidth" BS. Netfilx never gives me any of these problems

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
It's not any better watching OUA games. I watch pretty regularly as I have a kid playing there. Buffering is constant and I often disconnect and reconnect as the picture freezes all the time. The picture is so bad that the only way I can pick my kid up is that on his team he is the only forward wearing a single digit number. I contacted the group that administers the online broadcasts and all they gave we as the old "lack of bandwidth" BS. Netfilx never gives me any of these problems

This sounds like a separate issue from the AUS TV problems, because most member schools in the OUA use oua.tv. it's powered by Stretch Internet (as is CanadaWest tv and CIS TV), and they are vigilant about quality and buffering - they will initiate support calls themselves if they see an issue with a stream.

The OUA games you're referring to - are they on oua.tv? what school is producing them?

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
This sounds like a separate issue from the AUS TV problems, because most member schools in the OUA use oua.tv. it's powered by Stretch Internet (as is CanadaWest tv and CIS TV), and they are vigilant about quality and buffering - they will initiate support calls themselves if they see an issue with a stream.

The OUA games you're referring to - are they on oua.tv? what school is producing them?

You are correct it is OUA TV and Stretch Internet. The quality is crappy no matter who is producing the broadcast/feed. It constantly freezes no matter which rink you are in. I realize you are not watching a HNIC broadcast but why do some schools show the entire game with the camera inside one blue line and just swing the camera around to the other end when the puck leaves the zone. Surely there is a place in every rink to set the camera on the red line. I used to say that seeing the game on line was better than not seeing it at all but it is getting to the point that I am not so sure about that statement.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
You are correct it is OUA TV and Stretch Internet. The quality is crappy no matter who is producing the broadcast/feed. It constantly freezes no matter which rink you are in. I realize you are not watching a HNIC broadcast but why do some schools show the entire game with the camera inside one blue line and just swing the camera around to the other end when the puck leaves the zone. Surely there is a place in every rink to set the camera on the red line. I used to say that seeing the game on line was better than not seeing it at all but it is getting to the point that I am not so sure about that statement.

I haven't had any of those issues on oua.tv, either while watching games or broadcasting them. If there are feed issues during our broadcast (even if we don't catch it), Stretch Internet immediately calls us and walks us through a fix. Maybe your computer and/or internet provider just don't get along with Stretch Internet?

Re: camera placement, again, I can't comment on any other schools, but the budgets for webcasting are extremely small, and a lot of schools play in rinks that were never designed for broadcasting - I think a lot of rinks have a "broadcast booth" that is just in the top row of the stands.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
The webcast quality has been good for the previous 5 years. Unfortunately, it is now pretty well unwatchable with almost constant buffering with frequent returns to the AUS selection page. I stick it out into the 2nd period hoping it will get better somehow but it doesn't and I resort to checking the AUS hockey schedule and the box scores which all the arenas don't support, every 10 minutes or so.

Nationals are here the next 2 years and this is a piss poor way to generate or increase interest in the AUS hockey product!

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Not sure of exact date, but was mid-late Oct.

Edit: Stats indicate he played 6 games, so at least 2 weeks ago, probably more like 20 plus days.

The night they played St Mary's in PEI, he started the third period, after Forbie yanked Wilkinson. The next night he started against Acadia. According to the GG story, he would have arrived on campus Friday, played in third period that night.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
I only watch the hockey on there....but I wonder, are the other sports just as bad? Could it have anything to do with the number of people trying to watch?

I watched some soccer, it was bad enough, a slower pace than hockey, so you don't miss that much. CIS Soccer at UPEI was poor initially, I shut it down, went back in and it was great from then on. Of course, that was CIS TV.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
When did BellAliant update their streaming player? It's flash now instead of Silverlight. They also offer an HD option.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 6 STU 4 - VReds had a four goal lead going into the third but the Tommies outplayed them the rest of the way to make it close.

UPEI 3 Moncton 2 - Panthers hand Les Aigles their 5th loss in a row and tie them for 5th.

STFX 5 SMU 4 - Big win for X as they have now won 7 of their last eight.

Acadia 5 Dal 1 - No surprise here.

So the VReds and Axemen are now tied for first (Axemen with the tiebreaker). Huskies fall one point back. Huge game on Friday night between Acadia and SMU. Wish it was on Saturday so I could watch it as I'll be at the UNB game.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Last night's webcast from the Grant Harvey Centre was excellent. I don't know if the newer arena has better technology or if all the complaints have been heard and addressed? There was only 1 very short buffering during the whole game.

Perhaps some other fans watched other webcasts last night and can let us know how they were?

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Last night's webcast from the Grant Harvey Centre was excellent. I don't know if the newer arena has better technology or if all the complaints have been heard and addressed? There was only 1 very short buffering during the whole game.

Perhaps some other fans watched other webcasts last night and can let us know how they were?

Really! they must have heard us talking, I watched some of that and out of Halifax, it was excellent all evening, fingers crossed

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS TV is not working for me at all tonight. Granted that I am on my iPhone but I haven't had this problem before. It won't go past those stupid cartoon characters.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
AUS TV is not working for me at all tonight. Granted that I am on my iPhone but I haven't had this problem before. It won't go past those stupid cartoon characters.

Maybe the Squirrels' new players?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I am just going over the roster size for all AUS teams to see how many players they can add over the Xmas break. Roster size limit is 22 not including goalies.

Acadia - 22
Dal - 20
Moncton - 21
SMU - 19
STU - 20
STFX -21
UNB - 20
UPEI -21

Now I haven't included freshmen who have yet to play a game in the roster. For example X has two freshman who have yet to dress so I am uncertain as to if they are already at the cap. I can only be 100% certain on UNB. Although I'm pretty sure the Huskies have roster space.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Any word on any new recruits coming in over the break? I did notice that Patrick Watling, who had committed to UNB over the summer before getting a shot in the AHL, has been reassigned to the ECHL...will be interesting to see what happens with him over the next 3 or so weeks.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 4 Dal 2 - The Axemen now move into first place with the win.

STFX 2 SMU 1 - X continues to move up in the standings. I am expecting a big second half from them after picking up Kontos over the break.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So after the weekend UNB retakes first place by one point over Acadia. The VReds also hae a game in hand.

X is only two points behind SMU for third place.

Panthers are two points ahead of Les Aigles for 5th. Moncton holds the last playoff spot with a 5 point lead over Dalhousie. It is possible but I can't see the Tigers making up that ground.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI over Moncton 3-1. This pretty much solidifies both teams in the 5th and 6th spots respectively. I really don't see either team moving up or down.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Something I have been thinking about for awhile....does anyone else think the AUS should adopt the hybrid icing rule?

I don't think so. The intent of the rule is to protect players. That is done now with the automatic icing. To revert to hybrid might make things a bit more exciting, but would probably cause an injury or two. Not knocking the officials, but I'm not sure if they're up to the task of making the distinction.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I don't think so. The intent of the rule is to protect players. That is done now with the automatic icing. To revert to hybrid might make things a bit more exciting, but would probably cause an injury or two. Not knocking the officials, but I'm not sure if they're up to the task of making the distinction.

And not to mention it would cause more *****ing from the coaches all around, and we can all do without that. Plenty of that going around already without adding fuel to the fire :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->