2014-15 AUS Regular Season

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU scored two goals in the last minute of regulation and then Pereira scored then winner in overtime as the Huskies beat the Axemen 4-3.
The victory moves the Huskies within 3 points of second place. The Axemen are now two points behind the VReds for first place with UNB having a game in hand.
Duffy was out for the Huskies. Not sure what the injury is.

X beat the Tigers 3-1 to stay two points behind SMU for third place.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A game that SMU should not have won. Up 2 with a minute to go; you HAVE to defend that lead. The penalty call in OT was questionable, but it should not have gotten to that stage.

Duffy was out for personal, family matter.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
A game that SMU should not have won. Up 2 with a minute to go; you HAVE to defend that lead. The penalty call in OT was questionable, but it should not have gotten to that stage.

I agree. What made the Huskies win even more unlikely was that Acadia dominated the OT play, right up until they took that penalty that cost them the game.

Sic

Sep 15, 2013
Was a very good game it should be pointed out St Mary's hit a crossbar and a post in the third. So a 3-1 deficit could have been a 3-3 tie. Beyond that credit St Mary's who battled to the end

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 6 Moncton 4 - Listened to this one on the iPhone. Les Aigles actually lead by one after the second period before the Axemen scored three straight early in the third. Les Aigles backup Thibeau did the best he could stopping 37 of 42 shots. He has had a rough go here in the second half with Lemay out.

SMU 6 STU 5 (so) - Poor Tommies. Had a chance to finally beat the Huskies but end up losing their 31st game in a row. A streak that goes back to the 2007 playoffs.
Huskies started backup Cheveldave before being replaced by Peters. Looked like an entertaining game.

STFX 5 UPEI 1 - The score is a little surprising. 222 penalty minutes in this one. Reading the summary it looked like there was a brawl at the end of the game.

UNB 7 Dal 2 - No surprises here. VReds Carrozzi got the start and improved his record to 4-0. Boes got pulled from the Tigers net. That is the second bad game in a row for him.

......................................................................................................................................................................................

- UNB vs Acadia will battle for first place Saturday night. A win in regulation will put the Axemen in first because they have the tie breakers in season series win. If the VReds win in regulation I think that would pretty much clinch first place for them.

- Moncton and Dal might prove to be an interesting game. A Tigers regulation win would put them within a single point of Les Aigles for the last playoff spot. The play again in Moncton next Friday.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB dominated this game for the most part. Their speed was too much for Dal. An Acadia win Sat will mathematically put them in 1st, but UNB will have a game in hand. More importantly for Acadia, a win will improve their chances of a bye. SMU will need to run the table and have the Axemen lose two games in order for the Huskies to get the bye.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Acadia 6 Moncton 4 - Listened to this one on the iPhone. Les Aigles actually lead by one after the second period before the Axemen scored three straight early in the third. Les Aigles backup Thibeau did the best he could stopping 37 of 42 shots. He has had a rough go here in the second half with Lemay out.

SMU 6 STU 5 (so) - Poor Tommies. Had a chance to finally beat the Huskies but end up losing their 31st game in a row. A streak that goes back to the 2007 playoffs.
Huskies started backup Cheveldave before being replaced by Peters. Looked like an entertaining game.

STFX 5 UPEI 1 - The score is a little surprising. 222 penalty minutes in this one. Reading the summary it looked like there was a brawl at the end of the game.

UNB 7 Dal 2 - No surprises here. VReds Carrozzi got the start and improved his record to 4-0. Boes got pulled from the Tigers net. That is the second bad game in a row for him.

......................................................................................................................................................................................

- UNB vs Acadia will battle for first place Saturday night. A win in regulation will put the Axemen in first because they have the tie breakers in season series win. If the VReds win in regulation I think that would pretty much clinch first place for them.

- Moncton and Dal might prove to be an interesting game. A Tigers regulation win would put them within a single point of Les Aigles for the last playoff spot. The play again in Moncton next Friday.

Potentially. UNB would still rank ahead of Acadia because of their game in hand.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
True. But the VReds will probably have to beat Acadia at least once in their next two meetings in order to finish first. Unless the Axemen lose one of their remaining games.

If the Vreds can't beat Acadia at least once in last 2 games, they don't deserve first place given that they would have lost all 4 games against Acadia. I think UNB will play a great game tonight, win 6-3 and all but lock-up first place.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
6 goals? I don't even think UNB had 6 good chances tonight....Acadia completely shut them down. Can't give up 5-6 breakaways in a game and not get any odd-man rushes yourself...and expect to win. UNB was completely outplayed tonight, especially the last 40 minutes...would have been much worse if not for Shantz.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The way things are shaping up, the game next Friday at the AUC will most likely be for 1st place. Either that or possibly the last game of the season when UNB plays in PEI and Acadia hosts X the next night. Gotta think UNB beats STU/Moncton/Dal at home and Acadia beats Moncton on the road/Dal at home.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 4 UNB 1 - The Axemen controlled this game from the start of the second period onward. By my count the VReds had one good scoring change in the last 40 min of the game. Only managed 19 shots all game. Shantz actually keep the game close until Beaton scored on a breakaway late in the third. He also added an empty netter. Axemen move into first place. UNB plays its game in hand on Wednesday against STU so it looks like next Friday will be another battle for first place. Basically if one team wins in regulation they will most likely finish first overall. I'm sure it will have a great playoff atmosphere.

UPEI 3 SMU 1 - Watched the very end of this game. From what the commentators were saying Parks stole this one for the Panthers. Huskies lead 1-0 after the first. Big win for the Panthers even though they won't being moving out of 5th place.

STFX 3 STU 1 - Another heartbreaker for the Tommies. X score break the tie with under three minutes left. The win moves X into a third place tie with the Huskies. They currently hold the tie breaker.

Moncton 10 Dal 3 - Well Les Aigles proved that the Tigers definitely don't belong in the AUS playoffs. Too bad. Was hoping we would see a race for the last playoff spot for the first time in a few years.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia played much better after a so-so 1st period. Can't fault Shantz at all. Axemen got a bit lucky when a puck bounced of a UNB guy right to Heelis for the GWG in the 2nd period. Beaton just powered thru his guy to score the breakaway goal; great effort by him. Overall Acadia did a great job limiting UNB, but the Reds don't shoot often preferring to make too many passes for pretty goals which weren't happening tonight. Heelis had a monster game tonight. Very entertaining game, well worth the drive in crappy weather.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB 2 vs Acadia 1

UNB beats Acadia 2-1 in overtime at AUC.
Both teams looked nervous, especially in the first period.
Playoff type game,physical and very tight checking throughout.
Randy Gazzolla with the winner in o.t.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
UNB beats Acadia 2-1 in overtime at AUC.
Both teams looked nervous, especially in the first period.
Playoff type game,physical and very tight checking throughout.
Randy Gazzolla with the winner in o.t.

Gazzola has been such a great addition to the team. Leading all AUS defense men in scoring while being quite solid in his own end. Could there be a case for rookie of the year?

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Gazzolla is just lights-out on Defence (Leads the AUS in +/-). Hardly ever makes a mistakes on the defensive end and is a great play maker on the offensive side. I think he could make a strong case for 1st team all-star, incredible as a rookie. If only he could teach Petgrave how to play defence.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So with the win the VReds move three points up on the Axemen for first place which pretty much seals the deal as it is unlikely that the VReds would lose two of their last three games.

With regards to the game itself it definitely had a playoff vibe to it. Both teams playing careful from the start. Pretty even game with UNB getting the better chances overall. The refs were really calling this one tight. It wasn't even that physical of a game. The power plays for both teams were rather inept.

Question. Both Petgrave and Giftopolis received game misconducts. The former for mouthing off a the ref and the latter for a hit to the head. Will both miss Saturday's game?

I see Moncton has now tied UPEI for fifth place. Probably doesn't matter much at the end of the day but I'm sure it would be disappointing for the Panthers to finish sixth.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Gazzola has been such a great addition to the team. Leading all AUS defense men in scoring while being quite solid in his own end. Could there be a case for rookie of the year?

There is absolutely a case for him being rookie of the year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they awarded it to the highest scoring rookie. It looks like it will be Zach Franko.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Question. Both Petgrave and Giftopolis received game misconducts. The former for mouthing off a the ref and the latter for a hit to the head. Will both miss Saturday's game? "
I'm certain Gifto will get one game at least, as his was a Major penalty. Petgrave, prob not.

"I see Moncton has now tied UPEI for fifth place. Probably doesn't matter much at the end of the day but I'm sure it would be disappointing for the Panthers to finish sixth."

It matters if you are concerned about meeting SMU or SFX in the 1st round. And that placement is still unknown. 3-4 may come down to SFX at ACA next Saturday.

"There is absolutely a case for him being rookie of the year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they awarded it to the highest scoring rookie. It looks like it will be Zach Franko"

Both these guys have great numbers, but it will come down to the anti-UNB bias.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Huskies vs X on Friday could be the deciding game as well. I'm guessing you will be taking that one in.

As a VReds fan I have to admit that I do not want to face Peters in the semi-finals again.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Huskies vs X on Friday could be the deciding game as well. I'm guessing you will be taking that one in.

As a VReds fan I have to admit that I do not want to face Peters in the semi-finals again.

If we assume SMU/X advance to the semi-finals, the absolute ideal situation for UNB is X. Not only do I like their chances better than against SMU but, as I mentioned earlier, if you play X and lose, you are still guaranteed a 2nd chance with a 3rd place series against the other semi-final loser.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Smu

Friday's match vs ST FX will be very interesting:
Both, basically out of a bye position, and 3'rd place on the line.

If these two teams survive the first round of the playoffs paired up against UPEI and Moncton, they will face UNB or Acadia., with UNB getting the lower seed.
Looking at the head to head meeting between the Huskies and Axemen, SMU has won 3 of the 4 games, with all games being decided by 1 goal.

SMU 3-2 at Acadia
SMU 2-1
ACA 5-4 at Acadia
SMU 4-3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad