Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia

Acadia vs ST FX: possible 2'nd round opponent

ST FX 4-3
ST FX 2-0 at Acadia
ST FX 4-2
at Acadia Feb 7

Acadia has had a lot of trouble with the X-Men this season, losing all 3 games so far.

They are a combined 1-6 vs X and SMU this regular season.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The big game Friday night is SMU hosting X. In order to finish third X must beat the Huskies in regulation and then beat Acadia on Saturday night. Tall order.

Les Aigles has a chance to finish fifth but the Panthers would have to lose to the Tommies at home on Saturday night and I doubt that will happen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The big game Friday night is SMU hosting X. In order to finish third X must beat the Huskies in regulation and then beat Acadia on Saturday night. Tall order.

Les Aigles has a chance to finish fifth but the Panthers would have to lose to the Tommies at home on Saturday night and I doubt that will happen.

Tall order - yes, but if they want to be considered a contender that's what they need to do or at least a split.

Conversely - if SMU wins and Acadia blows two tires - SMU could finish 2nd as they have the tie-breaker.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Conversely - if SMU wins and Acadia blows two tires - SMU could finish 2nd as they have the tie-breaker.

That would be even more surprising than X beating SMU/Acadia...given Acadia plays Dal tonight.

Either way, things could pretty well be set after tonight.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
And of course Dal is up 4-2 on Acadia after two.

Also, the UNB/UPEI game has been terribly officiated...Critchlow blatantly cross-checked from behind after whistle = matching minors, Parks intentionally knocks net off after extended UNB pressure = UPEI gets a PP somehow, Petgrave races towards Parks for a loose puck and sprays him when he stops = penalty even though his only other option was to run him over....absolutely brutal.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Can someone explain what happened at the end of the SMU - X game? According to the AUS site "Saint Mary's won the shootout 0-0". Makes no sense.

Anyway Acadia has to get at least a point tomorrow night as they were upset 5-2 by Dal. They will be missing Mike Cazzola who is injured. Chris Owens went down in the game but I'm not sure if he came back.

Should be a great game. X is 3-0 against the Axemen this season.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Can someone explain what happened at the end of the SMU - X game? According to the AUS site "Saint Mary's won the shootout 0-0". Makes no sense.

Anyway Acadia has to get at least a point tomorrow night as they were upset 5-2 by Dal. They will be missing Mike Cazzola who is injured. Chris Owens went down in the game but I'm not sure if he came back.

Should be a great game. X is 3-0 against the Axemen this season.

Pretty crazy - just when we had it all figured out.

If X can win this game in regulation - ACD would drop to 3rd (in the last game of the season!).

ACD vs UdeM / SFX vs UPEI
or
SMU vs UdeM / SFX vs UPEI

The SFX/UPEI series could go either way.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU won in the shootout. Curtis with the winner. If you look at the box score, 10 shooters went for each team. They didn't scrape the ice after OT and it showed as no one could do much with the puck. Some pretty feeble attempts.
SFX could have won the game for sure. They had a great 1st period where they missed several good chances. SMU were dominant in the 2nd and SFX controlled most of the 3rd.
Big surprise at Acadia. Must be a marketing ploy to fill the seats tonight. If they are missing Cazzola and possibly Owens it will be a big test for them. Going 1 for 7 on the PP will not win too many games.
I'm aware as anyone how good this league is, but have always maintained that UNB, ACA and SMU should never lose to DAL or STU (in their current configuration as cellar dwellers). I'll be making the trek to the village of wolves tonight. Should be a dandy.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 5 STFX 4 - What an exciting game. More exciting than the Axemen probably wanted. X lead the game late but Thompson tied it on the power play with just 1:24 left. One point was all the Axemen needed to secure the bye. Then Heelis scores with just 9 seconds left for the win.

So the first round is Huskies vs Les Aigles and X vs UPEI. The latter should be the better series.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Fans are in for a dandy of a playoff in the AUS. I can't recall the top 4 in the league ever having so much parity. Any of the top 4 could beat any other on any given night. And don't forget about UPEI, they might be outside of the top 4, but Parks could be the difference in any series....can't wait to get things started!

sportsfan111

Oct 23, 2014
It was nice to see the Herald do a write-up for the upcoming play-off series but, as always, they undersold the quality of the league. The writers need to take off their Q goggles.
The SMU-Moncton series should be interesting as Moncton have been playing well of late, but if SMU's effort matches their skill level and Peters plays his game they should have no trouble winning.
The X-UPEI series is much more intriguing. StFX will be under huge pressure to advance, while UPEI will play with their usual swagger, especially at home, which makes them the bogey team of the AUS.
The goaltending is about even with Owsley and Parks (presuming he gets the nod), but Owsley has played a lot lately, so one might wonder if he is mentally fresh.
X have killer special teams; their pp is at 19.7% and pk at 86.4%. UPEI's pp is 17.7%, but their pk is only 77.5%.
If UPEI hope to win they will have to stay out of the box and play five on five as much as possible. This is easier said than done as X had the most pp opportunities in the league (157). It should be noted that X scored 31 of their 84 goals on their power play, which could be a worry for them if the refs 'put the whistle away'.
Any way you slice it, X must win game one in Antigonish or they will be in danger (the grave kind) of not playing for a month before they host nationals.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It was nice to see the Herald do a write-up for the upcoming play-off series but, as always, they undersold the quality of the league. The writers need to take off their Q goggles.

The Daily Gleaner in Fredericton does a good job. Of course we don't have the Q here so University hockey is considered the best game in town.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think the Herald guys throw in the odd Q-name so the reader can recognize some players. Your 'average" Major Jr fan thinks the CIS is composed of losers who are not in the NHL. Sadly, they have no idea of the caliber of players in the League.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think the Herald guys throw in the odd Q-name so the reader can recognize some players. Your 'average" Major Jr fan thinks the CIS is composed of losers who are not in the NHL. Sadly, they have no idea of the caliber of players in the League.

Very true. I know people who will swear up and down that AUS hockey is better than QMJHL, and I can't really argue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad