2014-15 AUS Regular Season

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Regular season opened last night with Moncton getting a 6-5 ot win over STU.
Only saw some of it online but it seemed like quite the offensive contest. The Tommies actually outshot Les Aigles 48-36.

I expect that the gap between 6th and 7th is going to be much smaller this year than it has previously been.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I expect that the gap between 6th and 7th is going to be much smaller this year than it has previously been.

I agree. I think the conference can be split into three groups this year. I see UNB/Acadia/SMU fighting for the top-3 spots, UPEI/X in the middle, and Moncton/STU/Dal battling for the final spot. Although, I could see SMU slip back and Moncton move up to the middle group.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 3 UPEI 2 (ot) - What an exciting opening game. Lots of scoring chances. Great goaltending. Score could have easily been double. VReds outshot the Panthers 42-28 but the score did reflect how close the game was.

The Panthers did a great job on the recruitment front. Darcy Ashley and Marcus Power look like they are going to be a major force in the AUS. Parks was great in net for the Panthers. As long as he doesn't get injured (they have a MHL rookie as backup) I see them as being serious contenders for going to the Nationals.

Solid game by Shantz in net for UNB. Chris Desousa was sitting out a one game suspension.

Acadia 4 Dal 0 - Axemen dominate the Tigers on the shot clock 53-22. The Tigers new goaltender, Corbin Boes, comes in with a great resume. I'm sure they will be relying on him a lot this season. I picked the Axemen to finish first this year. My only question mark with them is their goaltending.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If you want to promote AUS hockey to someone...just show them that UNB/UPEI game...very entertaining game from start to finish. Charlottetown is always a great atmosphere for a game as well.

UPEI should be able to hang with anyone offensively and in net, but their D could be their weak spot IMO as they lost Wall and Maione, both of whom were big time players for them. They don't really get much offense from their back end with the exception of Traccitto.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
1. UNB (of course)
2. Acadia
3. SMU
4. UPEI
5. SFX
6. STU
7. UdeM
8. Dal

Always hard to figure out who replaces STU if they move up to 6th. I don't think we'll know who will be 4-to-7 until the last weekend.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here's my picks, for what it is worth.

1. UNB
2. Acadia
3. Saint Mary's
4. UdeM
5. UPEI
6. StFX
7. STU
8. Dal

I've really wavered about picking UNB to finish first. They've only got half their players back from last season, and their two goalies are pretty much unknowns, despite their past pro pedigrees. Acadia has hardly lost anyone, but, and this is a big BUT, they've lost Owens on the point for the power play and Mosher in nets.

SMU might come slow out of the gates yet again, but they'll be there, and Peters could steal them enough games to put them in first place. Duffy might win the scoring race as a rookie, with all the gravy time he'll probably get on the PP.

UdeM, UPEI and StFX are probably going to be in a battle for placing in the final three spots. I feel that they've all lost key parts from last year, and it remains to be seen if they've been replaced. Because of that, I can't see them moving up.

As much as I'd like to see STU make the playoffs, I don't see it happening this year. Unless the wheels fall off for one of UdeM, UPEI and StFX. With so many new players, it is hard to get a read on the Tommies. But if they gel as a team, who knows.

Dal is Dal. I actually think they've fallen behind STU this season. We'll see.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I like the Axemen in 1st, followed by the Red Army. Glover played both games in the States and played well by all accounts. Owens is a big loss, but they still have a solid D-corps. As much as I would like to see STU or Dal advance, I always ask: " Who will they replace"? SFX did get better late in the recruiting cycle and I agree that UPEI and UdeM may have regressed some from last season. End of November should make things clearer, or not....

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I like the Axemen in 1st, followed by the Red Army. Glover played both games in the States and played well by all accounts. Owens is a big loss, but they still have a solid D-corps. As much as I would like to see STU or Dal advance, I always ask: " Who will they replace"? SFX did get better late in the recruiting cycle and I agree that UPEI and UdeM may have regressed some from last season. End of November should make things clearer, or not....

If STU still had Groenheyde, I'd give them a real shot at knocking someone out of the top 6. He was a difference maker.

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
STU is better off with Teichmann in net than Groenheyde. Teichmann is a better goalie technically that can provide his team with big saves when needed to win games.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU defeated STFX 4-3 on Tuesday night. Ben Duffy with his first regular season goal in the CIS. X have a new recruit named Eric Locke. He may put up big numbers as well this season. No shortage of monster rookies in the league.

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
I doubt he will face 65 shots but if he does hopefully he gets a better result. Tyson has a good chance this season to match his predecessor career win totals in the AUS.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 5 STFX 2 - A very entertaining and physical game. Although the shots were 42-16 in favor of the VReds I felt it was closer than the shots might indicate. X have and excellent top line and will definitely be a threat at the Nationals this March. They just don't have the depth that the VReds or Acadia do.
X coach Brad Peddle may be facing disciplinary action after entering the UNB tunnel to go after the VRed coaching staff after the game. I am going to be most interested in reading his comments. While the game certainly got chippy I didn't think it was that out of hand.
Shanks got his third straight win for the VReds. Owsley 38 saves for X.

Acadia 7 STU 6 (ot) - The one weakness with the Axemen may be their goaltending. Good on the Tommies for scoring six goals though. Not sure when the last time the accomplished that feat.

Moncton 4 Dal 2 - Big loss for Dal. They have to beat teams like Les Aigles if they have any hope of making the playoffs. The Tigers actually blew a 2-0 lead in this game. The Saulnier twins had 2 points each for Les Aigles.

UPEI 2 SMU 1 (ot) - I'm not surprised that the Panthers won but I am surprised that they outshot the Huskies 39-28. Anyway the Panthers have a young exciting team. They could upset some top teams this year.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
UNB 5 STFX 2 - A very entertaining and physical game. Although the shots were 42-16 in favor of the VReds I felt it was closer than the shots might indicate. X have and excellent top line and will definitely be a threat at the Nationals this March. They just don't have the depth that the VReds or Acadia do.
X coach Brad Peddle may be facing disciplinary action after entering the UNB tunnel to go after the VRed coaching staff after the game. I am going to be most interested in reading his comments. While the game certainly got chippy I didn't think it was that out of hand.

I was sitting near the end of the X bench. I don't think Peddle stopped yelling the enter last half of the game; yelling at the UNB bench, yelling at the refs, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00