Post-Game Talk: 2013 World Championship [Landeskog wins Gold, USA settles for Bronze]

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So, fair to say Staz is gonna make the Olympic team after this showing? Maybe not a lock, but odds are definatly in his favor.

You're kidding right? Stastny probably just cemented himself a the number 1 center for team USA.

There was never any doubt that he wouldn't make the team, he is clearly one of USAs top 4 centers.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Swedish television just said having high +/- proves you are valuable to your team, giving Hunwick props.

Of course they have also said "Peter Stastny" ten times at least, when talking about Paul.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Is it just me or is watching EJ just getting more and more painful. I can't get over how good he looks for a game or two and think he'll turn a corner. He has so much potential and talent but just flat out doesn't use it, and blows chunks.

Sure he's our best d-man but we lost that trade big time. I think i've seen 4-5 times the last two games where he's gotten the puck in the offensive zone, and literally looked for a shot for about 5 seconds then opts to shoot into shin pads....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is it just me or is watching EJ just getting more and more painful. I can't get over how good he looks for a game or two and think he'll turn a corner. He has so much potential and talent but just flat out doesn't use it, and blows chunks.

Sure he's our best d-man but we lost that trade big time. I think i've seen 4-5 times the last two games where he's gotten the puck in the offensive zone, and literally looked for a shot for about 5 seconds then opts to shoot into shin pads....

He's been quite good this tournament, as has Hunwick. Not the greatest semi-final but Switzerland made USA look bad in general.

His inability to get shots through is comical at this stage. No matter what, he manages to hit a shin pad. Avs have collected players that can't avoid blocks in him, Hunwick and O'Byrne. No wonder they don't score much from defense.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
He's been quite good this tournament, as has Hunwick. Not the greatest semi-final but Switzerland made USA look bad in general.

His inability to get shots through is comical at this stage. No matter what, he manages to hit a shin pad. Avs have collected players that can't avoid blocks in him, Hunwick and O'Byrne. No wonder they don't score much from defense.

I mean sure he's looked better in comparison to what level of players though? Take 2-3 steps down in terms of competition and he really doesn't look all that much better than he does in the NHL.

Barrie and Elliot were getting it through to the net at the end of the year when they came up which is a positive. Sure hope EJ can turn a corner or do some kind of training, or a new coach makes a difference.

Either way its good to see Stastny playing well. He just appears much faster for some reason. Given the right playing time I feel he could do more even with the Avs. I'm not really opposed to the idea next season of giving Duchene and Staz the better wingers and letting ROR kind of go back to his old role. I feel we'd produce more with Stastny given better wingers than ROR.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Some of the greatest hockey minds of this board will tell you that it was Sacco running the PP the last few games and that's why EJ stopped looking so good. It was Housley running the PP against the great Austria.

Huis Clos*

I mean sure he's looked better in comparison to what level of players though? Take 2-3 steps down in terms of competition and he really doesn't look all that much better than he does in the NHL.

Barrie and Elliot were getting it through to the net at the end of the year when they came up which is a positive. Sure hope EJ can turn a corner or do some kind of training, or a new coach makes a difference.

Either way its good to see Stastny playing well. He just appears much faster for some reason. Given the right playing time I feel he could do more even with the Avs. I'm not really opposed to the idea next season of giving Duchene and Staz the better wingers and letting ROR kind of go back to his old role. I feel we'd produce more with Stastny given better wingers than ROR.

With the way most teams collapse down low it's very hard to get shots through. Barrie and Elliott get their fair number of shots blocked as well. It's something fans can easily identify and squeal about Johnson as armchair coaches.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The weird thing with EJ and his shooting is that he's got a good release and he is quite good at walking the line when he tries to.

He just seems to paint himself into a corner mentally and decide to shoot when the shot isn't there. Alternatively he'll move towards the boards looking for a lane and get stuck in a board battle with the opposition.

Perhaps coaching can make it little better. I think if he never settle the puck down and just shoot it randomly at net he'll do better than now. That's how bad he is when settling the puck down and looking for shots.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Gibson has looked really good for US. Good on Sacco for giving him a shot to take the starter spot.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Is EJ a healthy scratch against Finland? Haven't seen him once here in the last 10 minutes.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
US wins bronze. Sacco seen celebrating on bench. He must be wondering in the back of his head, "Now what?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad