Post-Game Talk: 2013 World Championship [Landeskog wins Gold, USA settles for Bronze]

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Were we watching the same game?

Well better second half of the game. But still. Turned the puck over when you really must not do it and did not create all that much. Did a little bit too much on his own.
His SO attempt was weird.

I mean there were certainly worse players today. But he was not playing as good as he was before in this tournament...

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Well better second half of the game. But still. Turned the puck over when you really must not do it and did not create all that much. Did a little bit too much on his own.
His SO attempt was weird.

I mean there were certainly worse players today. But he was not playing as good as he was before in this tournament...

He had some chances. His LW changed 3 times during the game. Hall was much worse and didn't help matters. Subban as well.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I hoped Duchene would do what he normally does, but meh

Finland vs Sweden
Switzerland vs USA

maybe the first two weren't surprising but who would have thought Swiss and Americans face in the semis :laugh: Switzerland is scary good, still undefeated :amazed:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I hoped Duchene would do what he normally does, but meh

Finland vs Sweden
Switzerland vs USA

maybe the first two weren't surprising but who would have thought Swiss and Americans face in the semis :laugh: Switzerland is scary good, still undefeated :amazed:

I think the Americans beat them as long as the goalies don't allow soft goals... looking at you, Bishop. :rant:

I think/hope Gibson will get the start.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Wow the Oilers really hate Duchene. It is a shame that they are out of the division now :D

If Duchene ruined Halls Socchi chances and improved his own stock, I could not be happier ;).

On a side note. Landeskog in OT reminded me of good old viking mode.
I hope he can get back to playing that way consistently..

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Wow the Oilers really hate Duchene. It is a shame that they are out of the division now :D

If Duchene ruined Halls Socchi chances and improved his own stock, I could not be happier ;).

On a side note. Landeskog in OT reminded me of good old viking mode.
I hope he can get back to playing that way consistently..

their oiler players where pretty bad in every game.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
But only because Duchene is a puck hogging turnover machine with tunnel vision111!!!

And here I was thinking how bad the Oilers' players would've looked if Duchene had actually allowed them to play with the puck more. I thought he was protecting them....

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
their oiler players where pretty bad in every game.

Eberle looked good with Duchy. Hall was like a fish out of water, Duchy was doing 'his job' by leading the rush. Though this puckhog stuff is nonsense, we've seen proof he isn't that way with PAP.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
iBOljeSAQN8os.gif

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
glad duchene had a pretty good tournament but really wanted him to play well with Hall. oh well, time to cheer for USA now

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought Duchene was bad in one of the games but overall he was one of Canada's better players. Hall was garbage all throughout the tournament. Oilers fans can blame Duchene for not passing to him but even they know that's not true. Ruff moved Hall off Duchene's line last game and he still did nothing.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Eberle looked good with Duchy. Hall was like a fish out of water, Duchy was doing 'his job' by leading the rush. Though this puckhog stuff is nonsense, we've seen proof he isn't that way with PAP.

The problem was they would each go to the wrong areas to get a pass from duchene. That's something PaP knows where to go.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't know what it is, but whenever I see a guy take a big slap shot like that from in close on the SO, I feel like it's a cheap play.

I know they're well protected and everything, but what if he beans him in the head with that shot? You see goalies get shaken up on shots eveyy now and then, and that could do some damage in close like that.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Oilers fans sounding like those hockey dads who complain that their kid isn't getting enough ice time. Making me laugh.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Then you are blind. He made huge steal which led for.beautiful.goal. It was 3 or 4 goal i think. Check highlights.

Putting up 4 points and being the best player.on ice.today. He deserves some praise, not this ********.

I think you misunderstand me. I was not trying to give him ****. I am a big fan of Stastny. I think he played very well again, and has for much of the tournament. And I remember the steal that led to the Galchenyuk goal very well.

I just don't think he played all that much different of a type of game than he usually plays. It is a low key style of game that doesn't get much attention unless the pucks go in. I think he gets **** on way too much most of the time, when often some of the issues with the production swings have a lot to do with a few weak links making so many turnovers and killing potential good plays. Stastny is not really a do-it-on-his-own kind of guy. He is a teamwork guy, and so his production is more dependent on having competent teammates than say a guy like Duchene, who is capable of creating more of his points all by himself. (not that MD is not better when also using his teammates.) Stastny is able to work well with so many different players, which is one of his strengths. But the better those players are at receiving a pass and not giving the puck up, the more effective they are when paired with Stastny, and vice-versa.

For those who didn't see the game, or any of the previous ones, I was just pointing out that he is still not playing a flashy game out there. He's just getting more offensive opportunity, is being relied on more and is making the most of it, and his teammates are playing effectively and making the most of Stastny's plays. We can hope that he gets the chance to show this next season.

I think one of the biggest differences in what the US is doing, and what we saw from the Avs, is the defense's ability to move the puck. The US has a very nice D corp that can move the puck up the ice so much better than several of the stiffs the Avs had at the beginning of the season. And as others have mentioned, the bigger ice also gives those guys a bit more room to work. We saw evidence of the Avs production improving once the younger more offensive Dmen started to get more playing opportunities near the end of the season. Once your defense can more successfully get the puck out of their own end and into the other, then it gives the offensive guys more opportunities to successfully make plays.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am USA fan, but I really want Switzerland to win a medal here because that will be such a good story.

Sucks we have to play them, but whatever happens, happens. :(

E: UPDATE

CONFIRMED AVS [G-A-P][Red=Eliminated]
CAN: Duchene, C
GP 8 [4-1-5]

CZE: Hejda, D
GP 8 [0-1-1]

USA: Hunwick, D
GP 8 [2-2-4]

USA: E. Johnson, D
GP 8 [2-2-4]

SWE: Landeskog, W
GP 8 [3-0-3]

DEN: Lauridsen, D
GP 7 [0-1-1]

CAN: O'Reilly, C
GP 8 [1-2-3]

USA: Palushaj, W
GP 8 [1-1-2]

USA: Stastny, C
GP 8 [6-7-13]

RUS: Varlamov, G
GP 4 [W: 2 S: .878 GAA: 3.59]

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I am USA fan, but I really want Switzerland to win a medal here because that will be such a good story.

Sucks we have to play them, but whatever happens, happens. :(

There is a win-win here. US beats the Swiss. Sweden beats Finland. Swiss beats Finland (I don't think the Swiss can beat Sweden). US beats Sweden. Everybody is happy except Landy who might have to model EJ's pick of shirts again. :laugh:

BAHa7nUCYAAshkW.jpg_large.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad