Speculation: 2013 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
That is right. If people really want a rebuild, then they should support the idea of trading Loui.

What we've seen today isn't rebuilding or a fire sale. The team traded two rental forwards who had pretty limited value. They traded anther low value rental a week ago. Dumping three pending UFAs is not a rebuild, and as we have seen, it also does not land the kind of return that will transform the franchise.

Trading Loui would be a huge change. It would also bring back the kind of return that would help the team in the future.

the best time to trade Loui would be at the draft to grab a 2nd top 5 pick, assuming we fall that far with our own pick. That would set the team up with 2 elite level players to compliment a solid core as is.

not saying I'd support the move but if you're going to do it...

Sony Eriksson*

So since GMJN is in charge it will be a 3rd and some lower level prospect for each Roy and Jagr....:facepalm:

I was almost right....ugh!

So what does our pics for the draft look like now with all these moves lately?

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I just have to shake my head at that sentiment.

I'll say it one more time... transition year. Nothing that happens really matters.

The amount of turning on Loui and Benn this year has been borderline sickening to me. It's the exact same kind of shortsightedness that leads to things like getting rid of Neal. "Oh, but he was slumping..." Yeah. Players occasionally have years where things don't go that great for them. It's OK. There will be a next season. You'd think Loui has proven enough to have at least some kind of cachet around here... maybe not.

It's not about turning on Loui. It's about building a core with the same timeline. If you can add high end pieces say 21 and under, you have to at least consider it. It's just diligence to sniff around and weigh your options - especially at a time when teams may pay a premium.

And Neal was 23 when we traded him. Loui will be 28 this summer. That's not old at all and he still has a spot on this team any day - nobody's saying he doesn't.

I shake my head at the idea of not even listening.

Yup.

Brought it up a few weeks ago on here and was flamed pretty hard for it. But I stood by it then and I stand by it now.

GreatBritishStarsFan

Jul 4, 2011
As far as I'm concerned trading Loui is out of the question entirely, I'm open to Benn and Lehtonen getting traded but not Lou. Why?

He's this teams best player, and has been for 4 years. But there is more to it than that.

Eriksson is a niche player, your not going to find another player like him through trading, through free agency, through drafting, your categorically not going to find that do-everything 2 way winger who plays like him. Some would say he's slumped this year. I would say his puck luck has been somewhere close to zero, maybe even a minus figure. Confidence likely to be shot to pieces and, as always on this team, gets the **** job of bailing out another line because it can't defend, score, pass what have you.

Sure were in a rebuild. But seriously, I'd rather our Veteran player WAS Loui Eriksson for those young guns to play with than the Robidas, the Morrows, the Ribeiros, the Otts etc. (which is why 3 of those names are gone). You don't trade away talent such as Eriksson and Benn, you just don't. If he was 34, yeah maybe, but he's 28. The only offers I'd listen to would be a King's Ransom and even then I'd think twice, three times, maybe even four.

I can't believe some fans at times, the guy made Richards look like Moses and stopped Beavers and Buthead (Ribeiro and Morrow) from having one of the worst plus/minus figures in league history.

/rant

Sony Eriksson*

As far as I'm concerned trading Loui is out of the question entirely, I'm open to Benn and Lehtonen getting traded but not Lou. Why?

He's this teams best player, and has been for 4 years. But there is more to it than that.

Eriksson is a niche player, your not going to find another player like him through trading, through free agency, through drafting, your categorically not going to find that do-everything 2 way winger who plays like him. Some would say he's slumped this year. I would say his puck luck has been somewhere close to zero, maybe even a minus figure. Confidence likely to be shot to pieces and, as always on this team, gets the **** job of bailing out another line because it can't defend, score, pass what have you.

Sure were in a rebuild. But seriously, I'd rather our Veteran player WAS Loui Eriksson for those young guns to play with than the Robidas, the Morrows, the Ribeiros, the Otts etc. (which is why 3 of those names are gone). You don't trade away talent such as Eriksson and Benn, you just don't. If he was 34, yeah maybe, but he's 28. The only offers I'd listen to would be a King's Ransom and even then I'd think twice, three times, maybe even four.

I can't believe some fans at times, the guy made Richards look like Moses and stopped Beavers and Buthead (Ribeiro and Morrow) from having one of the worst plus/minus figures in league history.

/rant

There is no way Benn is moved before Loui in any aspect. Granted Benn is not as good defensively but the rest of his game/potential is better than Loui.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
So you guys think we're done? Honestly think we shouldn't stop here. Robi and Nystrom should go as well,

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

/rant

Totally. No way anyone could ever find another Loui. Impossible. There will never be another.

Look I get what you're saying, and those are all legit reasons not to trade Loui (except for the never find another bit). He's an excellent player. He's like our Jari Kurri. But even excellent players get traded.

Nobody here is saying we need get rid of him or that he's a problem, we're saying if we can get that king's ransom....

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Had high hopes for Vincour but something wasn't clicking in Big D, it seems....never could put it all together whenever he got the chance. :help:

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
This just in: Clowe is apparently more valuable than Roy, and equal to Jaromir freaking Jagr.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I still don't know why MacDermid was added in the Jagr deal- if they want a poor skater who can take punches.. I'm 6'7" willing to settle for $500k for punches to my noggin

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I still don't know why MacDermid was added in the Jagr deal- if they want a poor skater who can take punches.. I'm 6'7" willing to settle for $500k for punches to my noggin

Honestly, it might be as simple as adding a scrub to throw on the 4th line tomorrow so they dont have to call someone up from the AHL(who then wouldnt be able to play in the playoffs down there)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
604162_444985628920645_1472440935_n.jpg

how i feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad