Speculation: 2013 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
2013 NHL trade deadline is set for April 3rd at 3 PM ET.

Who do you want or see Dallas trade away? Who do you want to see Dallas to trade for? etc. etc.

Seems to be pretty common knowledge that we're going to be a big player this year (for better or worse), so might as well start talking about it in its own thread.

Last edited:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I want all of Morrow, Jagr, and Roy gone. I also would like to see if they can get anything for Robidas or Nystrom.

I want Jordie Benn in the AHL.

As for targets, Jensen in Vancouver, with Schoerder being 2nd choice. Spooner in Boston. Merrill 1st choice in New Jersey but Urbom would not be bad either. Gormley then Rundblad in Phoenix. Joe Morrow or Despres in Pittsburgh. Leblanc or Tinordi from Montreal.

At this point if you get one or two of those names plus some picks Dallas would be a heck of a lot better. I'm even willing to take the better talent who needs a year of AHL time than the lesser player who's NHL ready right now. The main thing is we should be acquiring picks and prospects right now instead of giving them away.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
What other aging players with several years left on inflated contracts are out there that we can trade for? That's what sellers do, right?

Madik77

Jun 9, 2006
I want all of Morrow, Jagr, and Roy gone. I also would like to see if they can get anything for Robidas or Nystrom.

As for targets, Jensen in Vancouver, with Schoerder being 2nd choice. Spooner in Boston. Merrill 1st choice in New Jersey but Urbom would not be bad either. Gormley then Rundblad in Phoenix. Joe Morrow or Despres in Pittsburgh. Leblanc or Tinordi from Montreal.

At this point if you get one or two of those names plus some picks Dallas would be a heck of a lot better. I'm even willing to take the better talent who needs a year of AHL time than the lesser player who's NHL ready right now. The main thing is we should be acquiring picks and prospects right now instead of giving them away.

I am with you about Morrow and Jordie Benn. I can understand your wish to send older players out of town too... But can you explain how Dallas would be " a lot better " with players you mentioned minus the current best player in points and current best player in +- and 4th in points?

I mean the team really has to be in serious troubles if current teams best player in points played his first NHL season at the same time when supposedly the best player and future captain of the team was 1 year old.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I am with you about Morrow and Jordie Benn. I can understand your wish to send older players out of town too... But can you explain how Dallas would be " a lot better " with players you mentioned minus the current best player in points and current best player in +- and 4th in points?

I mean the team really has to be in serious troubles if current teams best player in points played his first NHL season at the same time when supposedly the best player and future captain of the team was 1 year old.

Okay a couple of points I probably should have made to make my stance clearer. By better I mean next season. I don't actually want them to be better this year because I want Barkov and that won't happen if guys like Jagr and Roy keep us afloat. So for me I'm strictly talking next season and beyond. Bringing in say Spooner and Rundblad fills a center roll and adds a young defenseman both of whom would be in the lineup and benefit from 12 games to get used to their new teammates and city.

Second, I think it's almost a given, unless they do get Barkov that at least one more winger will be brought into the organization this summer. I expect them to search for a Ryder type who's older, has proven he can score but is looking for money. They offer a 1-2 year contract just like they have done and while the player won't have the pedigree of Jagr or the leadership he can pick up points.

Thus they've traded Roy for Spooner who's not better than Roy right now but will be and he's far less likely to be injury prone. They've got a puck mover in Rundblad so they can decide what to do with Larsen, Daley, and Goligoski and again they've added to this young core hoping to grow together. If another couple of players breakout just like Dillon and Eakin have this year then yes the team as a whole is better going forward.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
My little dream scenario next year.

Benn-Barkov-Whitney
Erkisson-Spooner-Fraser
Smith-Eakin-Cole
Roussel-Fiddler-Caron???(whomever)

Dillon-Rundblad
Daley-Goligoski
Larsen-Rome
Fortunus

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
My little dream scenario next year.

Benn-Barkov-Whitney
Erkisson-Spooner-Fraser
Smith-Eakin-Cole
Roussel-Fiddler-Caron???(whomever)

Dillon-Rundblad
Daley-Goligoski
Larsen-Rome
Fortunus

Mostly looks pretty good IMO.

Question though, does Whitney ever play on the right side? Benn could play on the right though I suppose. Also Fraser I'm guessing is more likely to play on the left and Eriksson on the right on that line. Then again I'm intrigued to have a guy with a big shot playing the off-wing blasting one-timers a la Neal in Pits.

Also would like to find a way to get that D a big bigger, like no more than two 'smalls' on one pairing. I just really would like to get Goligoski out of here somehow..at least on the third pairing with a big righty.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Benn-Barkov-Eriksson
Whitney-Eakin-Cole
Roussel-?-Vincour
Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt

Dillon-Larsen
NOT GOOSE-Sustr/Nemeth
Oleksiak-Daley
Rome

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Bringing in Rundblad gives you the option to decide who they want to keep on the backend. I think they'd move Larsen, even though I feel as though that's a mistake because they won't get near the value for him. Still a decision has to be made regarding Daley, Goligoski and Larsen.

I think Whitney can play the other side and Fraser might be really good on his off wing. I wanted to keep Eriksson on the left but switching them isn't a huge issue.

If you think either Rundblad or Spooner need more AHL time Benn moves back to center and they bring in a winger. I am curious as to what happens with Barkov's military commitment. Generally Finnish guys remain and do their service before coming over but Barkov is pretty NHL ready so I don't know what he'd do or how much the Finnish military would be willing to accommodate him being gone for 8 months of the year.

The main thing about that lineup isn't that they'd be lights out. They would absolutely have their struggles but it's a lineup age wise and talent wise trending in the right direction. It gives guys like Chiasson, Fraser, Vincour, Smith, Oleksiak, Nemeth, Jokipakka a chance to earn NHL time and the organization to figure out who they want to keep and who they want to trade going forward. I would expect it to be on the fringe of the playoffs but unlike this year I would think the team as a whole would be better at the end of the season than it begins at the start. With a good coach like Willie I'd trust them to harness some of that potential, which would make a huge difference.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'd go Monahan over Barkov myself.

Eh, I can see it maybe. What do you think Monahan can do that Barkov can't?

The thing for me though is if Dallas doesn't get Seth Jones then it really, really needs one of those centers be it Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm. It's still a huge organizational need and doesn't have everything resting on Faska's shoulders.

I like Pulock and Riestolian but franchise centers don't grow on trees and there are 3 there for the taking if Dallas gets a good enough draft pick. I really, really wanted Girgorenko last year and was pissed Buffalo got there first. I know he's struggled in the NHL but he would have been with his junior club had we drafted him.

Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan is how I'd order them but I'd not exactly strident about it. Sell me on Monahan and how would you order them?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan
I guess I'd pick them in this order. Any one of those guys would be massive for Dallas.

I'd swap Drouin with Barkov. Otherwise, its the same with me.

I just hope Nieuwendyk sells at the deadline and we end up in position to grab one of those guys.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Canucks fan here. The chances of the Canucks moving Jensen is slim to none. But Schroeder although I find very valuable could be moved for the right price. Something like Roy+Glennie for Schroeder+Ballard? Is that of any interest or does Ballard have simply no value to you guys? Which would be understandable.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I'd swap Drouin with Barkov. Otherwise, its the same with me.

I just hope Nieuwendyk sells at the deadline and we end up in position to grab one of those guys.

yeah I could see that. there is some talk that Drouin might be best served as a center and if that is accurate then it would add to his value. The guy has just put up insane numbers this year. Barkov gets a little bump for me due to how close he is to being a guy that would be in next years draft.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
yeah I could see that. there is some talk that Drouin might be best served as a center and if that is accurate then it would add to his value. The guy has just put up insane numbers this year. Barkov gets a little bump for me due to how close he is to being a guy that would be in next years draft.

For me, its about taking the guy with more offensive talent. They've been drafting big, strong two way guys for a while now.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
For me, its about taking the guy with more offensive talent. They've been drafting big, strong two way guys for a while now.

I think you could make a case that Drouin has the most offensive talent in the draft. If the Stars had the number 2 pick somehow and Jones went first it would be one hell of a tough pick for me. Hell I'm not even really sold that Jones should go number one.

Looking at Mackinnon I see a guy who is incredibly talented but every scouting report I read praises the guys drive. If you look at a guy like Sidney Crosby I think his drive is what takes him to the level he is at. Yeah he is as skills and smart as anyone and would probably be the best player in the league either way, but his drive puts him a notch above everyone else in my eyes.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

I'm right there with you Chaos. That's why I wanted Girgorenko instead of Faska last year. Give me the most offensive upside and they can teach some defense or at least install a system to help protect chasing back.

BigG can you drop some knowledge on me about those three, please. I didn't think we'd get anywhere near them but this may finally be the year Dallas does a proper tank and I don't know enough about them just yet.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I'm right there with you Chaos. That's why I wanted Girgorenko instead of Faska last year. Give me the most offensive upside and they can teach some defense or at least install a system to help protect chasing back.

I felt the same way. Although Im also pretty sure that had they both been on the board, they still would have taken Faksa.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
2013 NHL trade deadline is set for April 3rd at 3 PM ET.

Who do you want or see Dallas trade away? Who do you want to see Dallas to trade for? etc. etc.

Seems to be pretty common knowledge that we're going to be a big player this year (for better or worse), so might as well start talking about it in its own thread.

You think we'll be major players? What indication do we/you have of that?
I never know what GMJN will do because I don't think he even knows what he's doing.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I felt the same way. Although Im also pretty sure that had they both been on the board, they still would have taken Faksa.

That makes me want to cry because I think you're right. Hard to play against is nice but only if it surrounds skill. They can find tough but dynamic offensive ability is missing in this organization.

Let's say somehow Dallas is drafting 3rd. Jones and McKinnon are gone. Does everyone want Drouin (is Jeff Skinner a fair comparison?) or one of the centers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad