Speculation: 2013 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Why worry about the cap floor next year? There will be free agents available and with the cap going down teams are going to have to get rid of some contracts.

In a Robidas trade the Stars can retain 16.5 million next year if they'd want. To make him more valuable in a trade and get a even better return.

I'm just saying they won't trade both. Keeping salary is an option. I just want robidas gone and hope they keep Larsen but don't expect that. I also think some of these d prospects are going to be moved in other deals just because of the sheer quantity they can't all get AHL time.

Wonder if they'll try Guance on wing or try to fix his defensive game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Depends ... it's surprising, but Dallas is actually in a position to get into the Top 6 and potentially land a NHL ready prospect .... and most of them are centers.

Wouldn't be that unreasonable to think Dallas' wingers could be good enough to have a potent offense with Benn-Draft Pick-Eakin down the middle.

The D can't get worst ... it can get better ... and they have plenty of people to experiment with.

I don't want to sit here and say I'm optimistic it will happen, but it's not impossible.

Judging by GM Joe's refusal to address our blueline in any meaningful way leading up to this season, I was under the assumption that this was the year for experiments, i.e. giving Dillon a regular spot (great), and using Jordie Benn as well (terrible).

We NEED a sure thing on the back end, or else this whole process is doomed to repeat itself, regardless of who our forwards are.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Was lurking on the Bruins board, and in the Jagr trade thread they're saying Columbus made a pitch for Jagr that involved LA's 1st round pick (the Jackets have three 1sts, amazingly).

My guess, if this report is true, is that Joe declined to trade with Columbus, out of respect to Jagr.

Almost like an invisible NTC that only he and Jaromir know about, where Jagr decides where he gets traded. A classy move, albeit an unnecessary one that may cost this team in the long run.

Might also be why that condition was added to the Bruins pick....Dallas is banking on the Bruins having a monster playoff run. Makes sense.

Wasn't it posted somewhere here that Jagr and his agent gave Nieuwendyk a list of teams he would go to? There was no need for a NTC because Joe was never going to send him to ****sville out of respect. I could see him just not reporting to a team like Columbus.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think most here would be pissed if we traded Larsen as the return would likely suck. Better off giving him a chance. We are going to suck ass next year anyway.
I agree. Trading Larsen is pointless. He has no value to another team. His best value is keeping him to see if he comes back playing at a higher level flyer the summer.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Was lurking on the Bruins board, and in the Jagr trade thread they're saying Columbus made a pitch for Jagr that involved LA's 1st round pick (the Jackets have three 1sts, amazingly).

My guess, if this report is true, is that Joe declined to trade with Columbus, out of respect to Jagr.

Almost like an invisible NTC that only he and Jaromir know about, where Jagr decides where he gets traded. A classy move, albeit an unnecessary one that may cost this team in the long run.

Might also be why that condition was added to the Bruins pick....Dallas is banking on the Bruins having a monster playoff run. Makes sense.

If it were any other player this would piss me off beyond belief.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Judging by GM Joe's refusal to address our blueline in any meaningful way leading up to this season,

Okay what top pairing defenseman was out there for the Stars to get?
People act like there's 100 top pairing defenseman out there and it's easy to acquire one.

The only way the Stars will get a top pairing defenseman is to develop one, whether or not the player is drafted by the Stars, acquired in a trade, or signed as a undrafted free agent.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
People? So we can count you among those that praise the moves made today.

I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't in that group. I'm not happy with what we have now - I'm happy with what we don't have.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
If this was any other hockey market wouldn't the Jagr trade read: Conditional 1st + 2 prospects? For some psychological reason that makes me feel 10 times better about the trade

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If this was any other hockey market wouldn't the Jagr trade read: Conditional 1st + 2 prospects? For some psychological reason that makes me feel 10 times better about the trade

They traded the 2nd on the condition that it could become a 1st, not a 1st on the condition that it could become a 2nd. It's really just the wording.

If they said "Dallas gets a 1st rounder unless they're eliminated before the ECF, then it's a 2nd" then it'd say conditional 1st. But really, it doesn't matter.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
With Pitkanen out for the rest of the year you think they would want Robi?

Zac Dalpe/Riley Nash + 3rd?

Or Victor Rask for Robidas, Larsen and a 3rd (one can dream?)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
With Pitkanen out for the rest of the year you think they would want Robi?

Zac Dalpe/Riley Nash + 3rd?

Or Victor Rask for Robidas, Larsen and a 3rd (one can dream?)

Delicate situation for them. Like Dallas for the past 5 years, they theoretically have a shot to get in. I think Washington though has the better shot.

FYI: Button just said he'd want Nystrom over Torres.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Flyers have interest in Keith Yandle but doubt that's do-able today... Coyotes not looking to move him, would have to be huge offer...

I wonder if they'd be interested in Robidas if they can't get Yandle.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I'm hoping Robidas will fetch us at least a 3rd + a decent center prospect. But I got a feeling it'll be something like a 3rd and a bottom 6 NHL forward

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm hoping Robidas will fetch us at least a 3rd + a decent center prospect. But I got a feeling it'll be something like a 3rd and a bottom 6 NHL forward

Honestly if that's the offer, I can't see GM Joe moving him. I would then expect him to be a off-season move.

I just hope his advisers are riding him to sell, sell, sell. At most, Dallas could do 3 trades today I would guess: A D (hopefully Robi), Nystrom, and Fiddler. In reality, I'll be surprised if they make 1 trade.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Apparently the over/under today on moves is 16.5. What do you guys have? I'll go under.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I say over. Most of the deals will be small though.

And I still can't get my mind off yesterday .. Really don't like those deals, especially the Jagr one. Why would you trade for two prospect who's ceiling is nothing higher than a bottom 6 player .. Really hope that second turns into a 1st. I honestly thought after the great trade Nieuwy made involving Morrow that it was gonna be a good deadline for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad