Confirmed with Link: [2013] [TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just a little stat whoring...

Since we acquired Bishop, he is 2-2-0 with a Gas of just a smidge over 2.00 and a save percentage of .944. Holy crap, we got ourselves a goalie.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This summer's goalie market is going to be very interesting. There will be Luongo, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Bernier and whichever of Niklas Backstrom, Mike Smith, Jimmy Howard and Ray Emery remain unsigned. Nashville prospect Magnus Hellberg is also getting attention. When I asked Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman about acquiring Ben Bishop instead of waiting to see what potential options were open, he replied: "You said the key words -- 'potential options.'"

That's what Yzerman and Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray had in common with this deal -- they wanted to be out front. ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported that Yzerman asked the Kings about Bernier, but here's betting the price was super steep. Ottawa initially beat Tampa to Bishop when St. Louis Blues traded him in 2012. Ottawa needed immediate offensive help and it's believed the only other NHL-ready player offered was Ryan Jones of the Edmonton Oilers. Cory Conacher is a better scorer.

16. Quote of the Week I: At the end of our conversation last week, I asked Yzerman if there was anything missed in our conversation. He replied: "You didn't ask me what I ate for breakfast."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...layers-in-sochi-olympics-wont-come-cheap.html

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He's now 2 and 3 with a 2.82 GAA and .923...

What do you think he's end up after these next 8 games?

He stays north of .915, probably cruise close to it though considering the roster now. We lost some possession up front but the return of Hedman should help a lot.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He's at .917 & a 2.99 GGA. He's plays so good at times and then lets in a softie every other game. I don't know if he's the guy...

Every goalie let's in softies. I think he's a solid #1 for us. .917 is a very good save %, especially considering how Tampa can score.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
players to fall short

I just hope Bishop is the real deal.

"Who are the most likely players to fall short of their efforts in 2013? That’s the focus of this week’s Top 10.

10. Cory Conacher: The former American League MVP stormed out of the gates last season and was an early and, at one point, clear favorite for the Calder Trophy. But after scoring 18 points in his first 20 games, Conacher finished with 11 in his final 27 and was dealt to Ottawa at the deadline. So he already started to slow down. Will he reach 50 points, which would (likely) see him finish as a top five scorer on the Sens this season?"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/53050-Players-coming-back-to-Earth.html

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Everybody saw it coming, I think he played under 10 minutes his last game here. I had an emotional attachment to Conacher but it is a good trade, especially with our forward depth.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
I remember when a large portion of the league and almost all Sens fans (TSN, I'm looking at you) were laughing at what a steal that trade was for Ottawa.

Pontius Palat

Lurker
Dec 7, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Everybody saw it coming

Go back to post 43 of this thread and read a few pages. Then try saying that again.

I HATED this trade when it happened and seriously saw Conacher as a great top 6 winger for us at absolute minimum. I gave him 4 and a half gold stars in NHL13, which got me pissed when he only developed to 82/83 since I locked him up to a long term deal and he ended up being dead cap weight which made me miss the playoffs two years in a row and led to a rough point in my life, but I digress...

I think we all were unreasonably high on him, even right up to the end.

I remember when a large portion of the league and almost all Sens fans (TSN, I'm looking at you) were laughing at what a steal that trade was for Ottawa.

Us Lightning fans thought we got ripped off just as much as anyone else.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
It's too soon to say who won that trade yet.

Next season will be the first major indicator. The main thing to remember is it's easier to replace a lame forward in the NHL than it is to replace a lame goalie.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We were all high on him early last year. He started off at almost a PPG, and we were all hoping we had another Marty. I think in the long run we sold him about as high as we could have and got good value out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad