Confirmed with Link: [2013] [TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I will take my leave.

Please don't ever come back, kthanksbye.

I wanted Bishop last year before he went to the Sens. I didn't think it made sense to get him now since he and Lindback are similar and we already passed him up once. But if they push each other and continue to grow then this will be a great tandem. I liked Conacher but am not all that sad to see him go. I'd be more devastated if it was a player like Killorn or Connolly.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Rumor was BM wanted Couturier from the Flyers or Eberle from the Oilers for Bishop. That is how highly they regarded him.

BM could have asked for Eberle, but he had to know Edmonton would never trade him. Eberle is as untouchable as it gets in Edmonton; he's their future captain.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
i dont know where this myth that ottawa is somehow limiting good chances comes from. Every game I watch there's a ton of defensive breakdowns and the goalies, including bish, saving our *****.

here's our last 5 games (middle 3 are bishop).
Sens-Bruins_medium.PNG

Sens-Leafs_medium.PNG

SensRangers_medium.PNG

Shot_Chart_March_25__2013_medium.jpg

2013-03-23_medium.jpg

In our defense these plots can be extremely, wildly inaccurate, which is holding a lot of teams back from creating proper shot quality plots. MSG is one of the worst offenders, and overall they vary on night/crew/location.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
My only question is quality of the shots. Does Ottawa's D keep shooters to the halfboards to shoot, so its a low percentage chance? That's the problem with comparing stats. You really can't look at numbers and have it be definitive. You need to take systems and quality of shots into account.

While we may not give up as many shots as Ottawa, we may give shooters better chances. Is in essence what I'm trying to say.

Contrary to popular belief, Ottawas defense is not that good (sorry sens fans). There is a very distinct difference between them and us this year and its zone exits. They still have good, quality zone exits and forwards being defensively responsible, where lots of guys saw defense as an option that didn't apply to them all year and the zone exits by defenders meant firing a puck off the glass.

Keep in mind this is compared to us.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
My only question is quality of the shots. Does Ottawa's D keep shooters to the halfboards to shoot, so its a low percentage chance? That's the problem with comparing stats. You really can't look at numbers and have it be definitive. You need to take systems and quality of shots into account.

While we may not give up as many shots as Ottawa, we may give shooters better chances. Is in essence what I'm trying to say.

Our D help our goalies out most by transitioning the puck well. They don't play like New York from last year or Montreal a few years back, with everyone collapsing to force shots to the perimeter. Perhaps we're good at clearing the puck away on rebounds, too, although I haven't looked closely into whether statistics validate that assumption.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
Contrary to popular belief, Ottawas defense is not that good (sorry sens fans).

Popular belief?? Who thinks that? We are dead last in the NHL on shots allowed per game. We've been winning games on the strength of our goaltending.

I'm thrilled Bishop got the shutout last night, but not surprised. You're going to be very happy with him.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Congrats Tampa fans on a good start post trade! Hopefully, this trade is a win-win. Bishop is pretty good already, and keeps getting better. Maybe this is a deal where both teams can be happy in the end.

btw - the above posters are correct, Ottawa d is sketchy as heck right now. Goalies have been great.

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
Contrary to popular belief, Ottawas defense is not that good (sorry sens fans). There is a very distinct difference between them and us this year and its zone exits. They still have good, quality zone exits and forwards being defensively responsible, where lots of guys saw defense as an option that didn't apply to them all year and the zone exits by defenders meant firing a puck off the glass.

Keep in mind this is compared to us.

Every sens fans agreed with that but fans from other team keep telling us our deffence is stellar so what do we know :dunno: Most sens fans agreed that the goaltenders help the D more than the other way around and i love our young D but sometime they are brutal.

Good to see Ben with the win he`ll be great for you guys

Jerk Store*

Hehe, no more complaining in this thread? I know everybody thinks you got fleeced, but Bish is the real deal in my opinion.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Hey, I hear that Bish posted a shutout in his first game for you guys. I would venture to say it won't be his last shutout in a Tampa uniform. He truly is the real deal.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
A bit of history on (not a tear jerker like the honey badger) Bishop.

He was playing very well in the AHL with the Blues and had already paid his dues there. He was about to become a UFA and the Blues would lose him for nothing. So Bishop agreed to something and be traded so that the Blues could receive an asset back (2nd rounder) in return he'd get stuck as an RFA.

In Ottawa he would function as a stop gap as a backup until Lehner was ready (Lehner was far too young then) for the backup position. Lockout happened and Bishop could have just chilled. Instead he agreed to go back to the AHL and play alongside Lehner where he became the backup and played extremely well (Lehner played even better so he was #1). He never complained and never complains.

Anyways he's a great stick-handler and he 'dives' or embellishes when brushed slightly. Looks funny when he's 6'7".

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
A bit of history on (not a tear jerker like the honey badger) Bishop.

He was playing very well in the AHL with the Blues and had already paid his dues there. He was about to become a UFA and the Blues would lose him for nothing. So Bishop agreed to something and be traded so that the Blues could receive an asset back (2nd rounder) in return he'd get stuck as an RFA.

In Ottawa he would function as a stop gap as a backup until Lehner was ready (Lehner was far too young then) for the backup position. Lockout happened and Bishop could have just chilled. Instead he agreed to go back to the AHL and play alongside Lehner where he became the backup and played extremely well (Lehner played even better so he was #1). He never complained and never complains.

Anyways he's a great stick-handler and he 'dives' or embellishes when brushed slightly. Looks funny when he's 6'7".

Oh we know, we followed him like stink on **** when the rumor was first floated that he'd come here, until you guys snagged him.

Only thing is i've heard the diving thing but i've noticed sometimes he moves so awkwardly, I wonder if he really is just kinda goofy and can't stay on his skates at times.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Next game tomorrow against Isles. Important one too. I'd expect Bishop gets that one.

Bishop looked solid, very calm.

Eberle has better leadership qualities and plays in every situation for Edm, while also being one of their top point producers. Easy choice.

Hall's also pretty injury prone, another thing to consider.

Eberle plays around 14 sec per game on pk.

Hall is the one who drives the play and is their MVP this year. And EDM fans thought he was/is better than Eberle even last year.

Aslo check the results of this and this poll in EDM forum. Hall was clear cut winner in both of them.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Eberle plays around 14 sec per game on pk.

Hall is the one who drives the play and is their MVP this year. And EDM fans thought he was/is better than Eberle even last year.

Aslo check the results of this and this poll in EDM forum. Hall was clear cut winner in both of them.

That's very interesting, I've always felt like Eberle would be the perfect captain with Hall as an assistant. Hall plays with reckless abandon and is pretty poor defensively imo. Both work hard and play with lots of determination, but Hall's the more noticeable player on most nights because of his speed in leading the rush (not necessarily a case for him to be captain though).

Eberle just seems more steady, calm and intelligent, which leads me to believe his intangibles make him more suited to be the next Oilers captain. Then again, I only watch 5-7 Oiler games a year, so I'm not in a position to accurately assess the situation.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why are we having a damn debate about who's gonna be the next oilers captain? Take that crap to the main board.
I was a supporter of getting Bishop and I was even more impressed than I thought. I just hope the goalie rumors can finally stop.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Also just wanted to add that Bishop was phenomenal in the shootout for us. I can't find the stats online but I believe he is something like 4-0 in the shootout this season.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Also just wanted to add that Bishop was phenomenal in the shootout for us. I can't find the stats online but I believe he is something like 4-0 in the shootout this season.

This stat constantly surfaces, but is pretty meaningless imo. We hardly ever get to a shootout as most of our games are decided in regulation. It's definitely a bonus that Bish is good in shootouts, but our shooters are just awful to counter what Bish brings.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Really? God forbid anyone have an opinion that differs from the majority.

No kidding. I agree with PG on very little, if anything. And God knows he can irritate me and get me argumentative at the drop of a hat, but this board would be truly pathetic with no dissenting opinions. At the very least he makes me think my opinions through and make sure that I try and use a little bit of brain and not all emotion.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I like Conacher a lot, but I wouldn't have thought he'd even be in the ballpark of those guys in trade value.

Cory is not in the same league as these guys. It was a good trade for BOTH teams, the thing with Conacher is he will be a fan favorite everywhere he goes. He will sell Jerseys and he will be a guy that can promote the team. Who doesn't like the under dog story. I for one am sorry he's no longer in Tampa, but hopefully Bishop solves our goaltending issues. This is not a case of who is better, it filled a need on both teams. We do have too many small guys and MSL is not leaving anytime soon. Nice to see a true hockey trade for a change.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Cory is not in the same league as these guys. It was a good trade for BOTH teams, the thing with Conacher is he will be a fan favorite everywhere he goes. He will sell Jerseys and he will be a guy that can promote the team. Who doesn't like the under dog story. I for one am sorry he's no longer in Tampa, but hopefully Bishop solves our goaltending issues. This is not a case of who is better, it filled a need on both teams. We do have too many small guys and MSL is not leaving anytime soon. Nice to see a true hockey trade for a change.

:laugh: I felt bad for the dude wearing a Bolts Conacher jersey at the Canes game yesterday. He probably just picked it up a month or so ago, thinking Cory would be a long-term piece in this team. Either way, Cory will always be remembered here, despite his short time as a Bolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad