Confirmed with Link: [2013] [TB/OTT] Ben Bishop to TB for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm stepping back from the ledge a bit...

When trying to think of our forward group next year, I kept having trouble finding spots for people, namely Conacher. Our top line is set right now with great balance. A second line of Purcell/Vinny/blank is probably better served with a big body like Pouliot or a guy with more finish like Connolly, and I love a third line of Panik/Palat/Johnson as a solid defensive/offensive line. Conacher can't play as a fourth liner. Moving him now, when his value is high is smart. Not the trade I would make, but we'll see how it works out in the long run.

Hey - Not a bad post from me pretty early on after the initial shock wore off.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Anyone know what that 4th pick turned into??

Tobias Lindberg, part of the blockbuster Phaneuf trade. Seems to be an okay prospect but nothing special. Better than most 4th rounders though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I didn't post here at the time but I was shocked at first but got over it pretty quick. I knew how good Bishop was because I had him in fantasy... and then I stupidly didn't keep him for the subsequent season, lol.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I remember being pumped that TB got a goalie, then being really disappointed when I saw that we gave up Conacher. Disappointed/scared. I thought it was crazy that WE added the pick. I looked at it as an okay move by that night, because we were just so, so, so desperate for goaltending at the time. And I was aware of the dip that Conacher's numbers had taken. I think I wrote an article about it, way back when I liked to do that. But, to think Conacher wouldn't even be in the NHL right now? I don't think anyone could have predicted that.

This was yet another night where Ottawa fans must have thought about that trade multiple times. Bishop was, once again, incredible.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
I always wonder if Conacher would have fizzled out with us like he did elsewhere or continue to strive on the Bolts if we didn't trade him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I always wonder if Conacher would have fizzled out with us like he did elsewhere or continue to strive on the Bolts if we didn't trade him.

My guess is: fizzle. He was already fizzling when we traded him. It was something like 5 points in his last 25 games. His numbers were buoyed by a terrific start to the year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He was starting to fizzle out before the trade. He had 18 points in the first 19 games then 6 in the final 16, they knew he was a flash in the pan.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
If Bishop continues this pace, is there any way he does not win the Veznia this year? Leads league in GAA (2.04) and is third in save % among goalies playing more than 30 games (.926). Absolutely amazing.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
If Bishop continues this pace, is there any way he does not win the Veznia this year? Leads league in GAA (2.04) and is third in save % among goalies playing more than 30 games (.926). Absolutely amazing.

Lol. He's not winning the Vezina. He hasn't had the storylines for it.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He might have to settle for the Jennings, though he's gonna need help from Vasilevskiy. We're 7 GA behind the Kings at the moment.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He might get a rush of cult/sexy pick/under the radar votes, but it's probably Holtby's year. I'm hoping Bish gets a nomination though. And, if we end the year on a high note, he might make the race close because, again, it'll be a sort of sexy alternative to the near consensus pick.

There's a good argument (that'll never be heard) that Bish should get a Hart nomination too. No one's going to pry the award away from Kane, especially considering last year's disappointing scoring race. But, if not for Bishop's heroics in the early part of the season, we're not in the playoffs. Even now that we're winning, he's more often than not a key factor in the victories. He saved the season, pretty much single-handedly. But no one who wasn't paying attention--and most hockey writers weren't--will ever know that.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He definitely deserves a Vezina nomination at least. Madness if he doesn't. He was a finalist before with a lesser season.

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
Lol the early reactions.

Considering Bernier, Schneider and Bishop were the 3 that were going to be moving at that time, we ended up winning by getting Ben. He's the best out of those 3 with Schneider close behind. Feels good looking back and seeing how wrong or how bad we hated it, and it worked out.

Schneider is better. He has better numbers playing for a total garbage team. You would have won the cup with Schneider in net.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

Lol? He has the best numbers in the league and Holtby is fading. He is a certain finalist and should win. Its for the best goalie in the league and he has the best numbers in the league, seems pretty logical.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
He might get a rush of cult/sexy pick/under the radar votes, but it's probably Holtby's year. I'm hoping Bish gets a nomination though. And, if we end the year on a high note, he might make the race close because, again, it'll be a sort of sexy alternative to the near consensus pick.

There's a good argument (that'll never be heard) that Bish should get a Hart nomination too. No one's going to pry the award away from Kane, especially considering last year's disappointing scoring race. But, if not for Bishop's heroics in the early part of the season, we're not in the playoffs. Even now that we're winning, he's more often than not a key factor in the victories. He saved the season, pretty much single-handedly. But no one who wasn't paying attention--and most hockey writers weren't--will ever know that.

Not that you suggested this, but I am not a fan of the commonly believed thought that Holtby should win the vezina because of his win total. Win total is highly team dependent and the caps have been playing out of their minds all year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Thought about that too but his stats are far too impressive right now.

3 most deserving candidates thus far should be Bishop, Mrazek and Schneider. Holtby's stats aren't as impressive considering the amount of wins he has, he's 10th in save % and GAA. Crawford has an amazing save % but his GAA is significantly higher than Bishops.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Thought about that too but his stats are far too impressive right now.

3 most deserving candidates thus far should be Bishop, Mrazek and Schneider. Holtby's stats are as impressive considering the amount of wins he has, he's 10th in save % and GAA. Crawford has an amazing save % but his GAA is significantly higher than Bishops.

I mean - I agree. But I don't get to vote on the Vezina.

We'll see I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad