Prospect Info: 2013 Summer Development Camp – July 10-12 – First Niagara Center – Updates in OP

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Yep, great for us out-of-towners.

Also, to recap the highlights of that PLAYLIST:
  • #01 @ 0m50s = Less than a minute in, B44 Zadorov checks G3 Lepkowski.
  • #02 @ 0m00s = B28 Girgensons misses a penalty shot against G49 Lieuwen.
  • #04 @ 0m25s = G22 Bailey sets up G19 Hurley, B35 Knapp saves.
  • #06 @ 1m35s = Puck falls to G47 Gjurich, robbed by B35 Knapp.
  • #08 @ 0m00s = G3 Lepkowski scores on a penalty shot slapper, beating B31 Petersen; B19 Possler penalty.
  • #10 @ 0m46s = B41 Varone checks G19 Hurley, obstruction/knee/trip?
  • #11 @ 0m00s = G19 Hurley missed penalty shot on B31 Petersen.
  • #12 @ 0m10s = B72 Baptiste goal after B28 Girgensons beats G40 Makarov to a puck behind net; B38 Locke with primary assist.
  • #13 @ 0m00s = Scoreboard replay of B28 Girgensons goal, primary assist to B72 Baptiste; G40 Makarov in goal.
  • #14 @ 0m50s = B31 Petersen save on G13 Malone.

Any clip of the big zadorov hit?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Also, re: the defense by minuses per goal:

B1-G0: Lepkowski-JGL
B1-G1: Austin-Ristolainen
B2-G1: Czuczman?-JGL
B3-G1: Czuczman-JGL
B3-G2: Penalty shot
B4-G2: Lepkowski-Czuczman
B5-G2: ?-? (Girgensons goal)
B6-G2: Lepkowski-JGL
B6-G3: Zadorov-Pysyk

Notice anything about Gold? ;)

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Girgensons was the boy-man amongst boys out there. He's a player, and the kind of guy whose game looks best in the dirty areas. If that's his game during a scrimmage, I can only imagine how hard he goes against opponents.

Anyway, I went to the game with a press pass and had a nice quick conversation with him after the game. I'd bet big money on him being the future face of the team.

Also talked to Bailey, who seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Finally, saw McNabb as I was heading out, had a bag of ice taped around his knee and was limping pretty badly. I wonder if he's had issues in the past or if he suffered something during the scrimmage.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
[...]
Finally, saw McNabb as I was heading out, had a bag of ice taped around his knee and was limping pretty badly. I wonder if he's had issues in the past or if he suffered something during the scrimmage.

He had a knee injury last season. Hopefully it's not going to be an issue.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Girgensons was the boy-man amongst boys out there. He's a player, and the kind of guy whose game looks best in the dirty areas. If that's his game during a scrimmage, I can only imagine how hard he goes against opponents.

Anyway, I went to the game with a press pass and had a nice quick conversation with him after the game. I'd bet big money on him being the future face of the team.

Also talked to Bailey, who seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Knee injury in late March and was out for weeks after. Talks about rehab in this:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Czuczman was in the corner on Girgensons goal, having gone for the hit on Baptiste. Didn't see who his partner was at that moment. Girgorenko is on the backcheck -- I think it's JGL.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Yeah Blues defensive pairings were ridiculous. What was it McCabe, Risto, Zadarov, Mark P, etc... All on the same team...Talk about stacked!

And as I pointed out earlier, the top-six on Blue had older guys with way more experience despite Gold probably having more talent. For example, Gold had guys like Compher and Hurley on the 2nd line who might have more offensive upside than their counterparts Varone and Sundher. However, Varone and Sundher have a bunch of AHL games logged.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Yeah Blues defensive pairings were ridiculous. What was it McCabe, Risto, Zadarov, Mark P, etc... All on the same team...Talk about stacked!

They seemed to be in stride better too. Girgs was easily MVP of the scrimmage, as well... Got to talk to him when he had a break with the signings, complimented his play and asked him about his routines and stuff. My Favorite Sabres prospect. Zadorov looked great too.

FanboySlayer*

Watched mbossy's youtube clips - ragged play, which is understandable with guys never having played together but would have expected some more nice passing plays and individual efforts than i saw in those clips.

Grigorenko, if he's the elite NHL prospect people regard him as should dominate against these boys, 80% of whom will never make it in the NHL and i didn't see that.

Read Malcolm Gladwell's 'Blink'.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Watched mbossy's youtube clips - ragged play, which is understandable with guys never having played together but would have expected some more nice passing plays and individual efforts than i saw in those clips.

Grigorenko, if he's the elite NHL prospect people regard him as should dominate against these boys, 80% of whom will never make it in the NHL and i didn't see that.

It's hard to tell much from one one scrimmage, and they're not all boys. Varone, for example, is a two-year pro and 22. With that said, if you wanted to argue that Crosby at 19 would have put up 8 points in this game, I wouldn't argue with you about that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Hockey doesn't really work like that. Grigorenko isn't a player expected to dominate the NHL physically or with his skating, so why should he in this scenario?

Edit: Not a fan of the book btw

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Thought the teams were terrible, by the way. I wonder how/why they put them together like that.

And as I pointed out earlier, the top-six on Blue had older guys with way more experience despite Gold probably having more talent. For example, Gold had guys like Compher and Hurley on the 2nd line who might have more offensive upside than their counterparts Varone and Sundher. However, Varone and Sundher have a bunch of AHL games logged.
I don't think balancing the teams does anything for the staff. They're using the scrimmage to evaluate player development/growth, so pitting a more youthful Gold team against a more pro Blue team was to rate where some of these longer-term Gold guys are in their development and organizationally.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Not good for Lep or Leduc

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
By the eyeball test, JGL didn't look nearly as bad as the other two, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for this one.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I didn't see Florentino out there, was he injured?

I agree with a lot of the assessments some of you have posted about the scrimmage and I will say that this draft class is probably the strongest this team has had in years. The amount of picks they had gave them a shot to hit on some good players and top to bottom the early returns look promising.

Risto an Zad came as advertised and should solidify the top end of the dcorps down the line.

Compher looks like a safe player in the Curtis Brown mould with mid line skills mixed with heart and determination.

I really like what I say from Hurley and Bailey, two potential home run picks if their development matches their skill sets.

If Baptiste's hands continue to catch up to his feet then he should have a big year in Sudbury.

Peterson is very athletic, love how he plays the puck. He is going to need a good goalie coach to settle him down and teach him that sometimes less is more.

Possler has good wheel, hands and compete and may blossom into something more.
Malone is feisty and quick and shows enough that he may develop into more then a 6th round pick. Locke looks like he will play and Rochester.

Florentino is the wildcard as he didn't play today. Add to this some of last year's crew:Girgs, Grig, McCabe, Kea and they have really formed a strong core moving forward.

Was disappointed Armia and Larsson couldn't make it as those high end forwards lining up with Grig would have made the game a little more competitive.

Kea is my unsung prospect for this team. Will never be a big producer buth that size, skating, skill and intangibles package as your 4th (maybe 3rd) line centre is what wins championships.

One under the radar guy that stood out to me was Brady Austin from Belleville. Huge kid with good mobility who plays within his game. Could turn into a solid Amerks dman and depth guy down the line.

Be very interested toi see what the Traverse City line-up will look like as they should be very competitive. I know McCabe will be back at school by then but I couldn' help drool over the thought of their d lineup for the tournamnet being:

McCabe Risto
Zad Pysyk
McNabb Ruhwedel

Replace McCabe with Gauthier Leduc and it still is a strong corps.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Some Random thoughts:

- Hurley was not happy with the Varone hit.

- Compher and Mackenzie with some major wacking and hacking at each other behind the net and play. It was getting ugly.

- Grigorenko was on the ice for at least the last two goals against. I saw frustration on his face when he was coming back to the bench.

- It was hard for me to follow the prospects at this game. I considered learning the jersey numbers ahead of time. It would have been a waste seeing that the numbers were only on the back of their jerseys. Plus I'm not just following 1 teams players. 40 is a lot of players to want to track.

- A handful of the prospects were limping when they were walking away from the autograph. Just from the development camp and a scrimmage - shows what professional hockey players go through - and most of them aren't even professionals yet.

- I never saw Florentino once. Too many players to track.

- I noticed Austin though. Big.

- Most of them didn't look big canalside though. Even Zadorov looks like a skinny kid. (not to mention Hurley maybe? - looked like a middle schooler). I didn't see Zemgus.

- Thought there would be more people there to see 10k maniacs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad