Prospect Info: 2013 Summer Development Camp – July 10-12 – First Niagara Center – Updates in OP

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Some post-game thoughts:

Gold -
Grigorenko: generated some chances, was around the puck/it was around him;
Catenacci: nice goal, usual scrappiness and speed
Jacobs: used his size, pushes back on guys to gain positional advantage
Compher: around the play a lot, nice backhand conversion on a short passing play from Bailey
Hurley: toolsie kid, nice package of skills; got dropped once by Varone, probably interference
Bailey: best skater in Gold; generated off the rush, including serving the sauce backhand to Compher for JT's goal; got worked by Nelson in tight on Nellie's double deke--looked like a forward and it showed. Seeing him on civvies afterward, he is such a giraffe-all limbs and angles. Can't wait to see him filled out. His shootout goal was a trickster move that had the crowd roaring, dropping the puck to his back foot and then kicking it up for a one handed tap in.
Navin: usual up-and-down wing play; got popped by Zadorov - just dropped by a big check at center ice
Malone: Scrappy as advertised. Chippy.

More Gold-

Isackson: willing to go into areas where there will be pain -- and there was. He got hit a ton and kept on. Good battler, will be bruised tomorrow.
Gjurich: Good learning experience; nice shot; learned to not coast in the neutral zone when Possler tracked him down and filled him in.
Peterson: human bowling ball, bouncing into or off of a host of Blues. Girgs finished him once in the corner after he'd popped someone (Black or Iafallo maybe), then ZG got hit back by Czuczman.

Gold, defense:

McNabb: no visual evidence of the knee injury, real vocal directing traffic not only for his partner but the forwards on the ice with him
Ruwedel: smart breakouts, nice forehand goal in the SO going blocker side
Lepkowski: big hit on McCabe, nice slapper goal on the PS, real pleased with his week and that they have a guy like him for Rochester
Gauthier-Leduc: still toolsie, had one nice walk of the blueline; also got deked out on Nellie's first goal
Czuczman: hit Hurley high, had a "thing" going with ZG all game; will not surprise me if he's here again next year and one day an Amerk
Florentino: solid frame, guys were usually just bouncing off him; rough edges, but a real good toolset

Lieuwen- still wanting to see the WHL playoff MVP
Makarov- Dub flashbacks as they didn't play good D in front of him and a few 2nd/3rd chance goals went by him
Ullmark- still looking uncomfortable in the new gear

Last edited:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm still here. Waiting for colorful bombs. 10000 maniacs is a good band too. Thanks Chain for being a good sport and hangin out with a dumb 18 year old. Haha!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Blue-

Girgensons: his line ate up Gold most of the night. I counted at least 6 strong takeouts. Scored a goal, set up Baptiste with a sweet kick-pass since he was partially tied up when Nick first fed him, caused the other goal because Czuczman was looking to hit him rather than stay home. Really strong showing.
Baptiste: hands! I hope tonight is a confidence booster for him to start using his hands more in tight spaces - the speed and contact initiation were all evident.
Locke: nice play to set up ZG's goal; good passing, some work in tight spaces, some good quickness. I think he is minor league bound.
Parker: Mr. Almost tonight. Generated a number of chances that almost went in. Not sure he's back to the level he was three camps ago, but he looked better than last year.
Varone: loved his game tonight. He opened the scoring, but repeatedly he set the table for others, even from his knees and once on his face. Chippy a bit, filled in Hurley. Was also schooling D (RR) on where he wants them to go when he was working along the half-wall and on faceoffs.
Sundher: good wheels, not a lot in my mind or on the note sheet
Nelson: highlight reel goal? Check. Sweet wrister from in the slot? Check. Motored up the wing, some physical give-and-take? Yep.

More Blue -

Kea: filled lanes, accepted contact to make plays, dished it on Isackson.
Possler: like his burst to the puck and into free space; nice to see some physical play too
Iaffalo: good kid, wheels are top notch; nice feed to Nelson for N2.0
Black: Dad should be proud, he stood in with the rest and worked hard.

I missed mentionong Nellie's chickenwing attempt on Isackson above.

Blue D/G -

Zadorov: Big hits galore. *drool* and he had a couple assists and one shift in particular stood out for his forechecking on a pinch. Probably the best D for either team tonight.
Pysyk: nice, smooth, mistake free from what I saw. Typical.
McCabe: had a couple of rushes, set the table for others; got drilled by Lepkowski and was laughing about seeing him just in time.
Ristolainen: as advertised. Active, looks to move to the attack.
MacKenzie: not noticeable in the way good d-men should not be.
Austin: big guy, moves well with and without the puck.

Knapp - still got beat high.
Petersen: best tender performance imho

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I'm only going to embed the first clip, but MBossySabre has 15 clips from the scrimmage up on YouTube; playlist link is HERE.

If MBossySabre is on HFBoards, I just want to publicly say that I thank you and am indebted to you for your selflessness in uploading these videos.

The Washer

Feb 7, 2011
Some post-game thoughts:

Gold -
Grigorenko: generated some chances, was around the puck/it was around him;
Catenacci: nice goal, usual scrappiness and speed
Jacobs: used his size, pushes back on guys to gain positional advantage
Compher: around the play a lot, nice backhand conversion on a short passing play from Bailey
Hurley: toolsie kid, nice package of skills; got dropped once by Varone, probably interference
Bailey: best skater in Gold; generated off the rush, including serving the sauce backhand to Compher for JT's goal; got worked by Nelson in tight on Nellie's double deke--looked like a forward and it showed. Seeing him on civvies afterward, he is such a giraffe-all limbs and angles. Can't wait to see him filled out. His shootout goal was a trickster move that had the crowd roaring, dropping the puck to his back foot and then kicking it up for a one handed tap in.
Navin: usual up-and-down wing play; got popped by Zadorov - just dropped by a big check at center ice
Malone: Scrappy as advertised. Chippy.

First all, big ups on all the camp reports. Feels like I was there.

I think its now or never for Cat. Its getting to that point where u risk losing the player. I'd be comfortable giving him a shot.

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Posted this in the prospect thread my thoughts. Grigs looked INCREDIBLE in practice yesterday but in a game setting it seemed to not translate at all. The kid needs to get explosive or have some speed or he is going to be lagging behind the play in the NHL consistently.

Zemgus Girgensons might be the better player than Mikhail Grigorenko. That's what I've learned from camp and the prospect game. Also Rasmus Ristolanian and Nikita Zadarov are going to be beast on defense in the future. Triple Pillars with both of them and Myers all being 6'5''+. They passed by us on the water and we told them they had a great game and they said thanks and were very nice. Zemgus has this sort of swag with him at all times, the guy exudes confidence at ALL times. Freaking love it. Also Justin Bailey looked on another level from the others as well, he has it all the speed, size, tenacity, needs to work on filling out his build. I think he has a great chance to become a power forward in the NHL.

Girgs and Grigs were on the ice against each other for every shift in this game. Girgs made Grigs look like a fool nearly the entire game. Girgs has Bergy upside and I think he has the better chance to reach it then Grigs upside. Girgs looked like a man amongst boys out there even though hes only 19. I think he makes the team this year and if not comes over from Amerks when someone gets injured.

My top 5 favorite prospects at this moment. (Due to Change)

1.) Zemgus
2.) Rasmus
3.) Nikita
4.) Joel
5.) Mikhail

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think its now or never for Cat. Its getting to that point where u risk losing the player. I'd be comfortable giving him a shot.

I don't understand why you feel that way. He just finished up his juniors career. Hell, as far as I know he could still play in juniors as an overager. This will be his first season as a professional player. How is that now or never time?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He's getting a shot in the ahl thisyear

Yeah, it's not like he's paid his dues in the minors at all yet. He's still in the development cycle, right where he should be.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
If MBossySabre is on HFBoards, I just want to publicly say that I thank you and am indebted to you for your selflessness in uploading these videos.
Yep, great for us out-of-towners.

Also, to recap the highlights of that PLAYLIST:
  • #01 @ 0m50s = Less than a minute in, B44 Zadorov checks G3 Lepkowski.
  • #02 @ 0m00s = B28 Girgensons misses a penalty shot against G49 Lieuwen.
  • #04 @ 0m25s = G22 Bailey sets up G19 Hurley, B35 Knapp saves.
  • #06 @ 1m35s = Puck falls to G47 Gjurich, robbed by B35 Knapp.
  • #08 @ 0m00s = G3 Lepkowski scores on a penalty shot slapper, beating B31 Petersen; B19 Possler penalty.
  • #10 @ 0m46s = B41 Varone checks G19 Hurley, obstruction/knee/trip?
  • #11 @ 0m00s = G19 Hurley missed penalty shot on B31 Petersen.
  • #12 @ 0m10s = B72 Baptiste goal after B28 Girgensons beats G40 Makarov to a puck behind net; B38 Locke with primary assist.
  • #13 @ 0m00s = Scoreboard replay of B28 Girgensons goal, primary assist to B72 Baptiste; G40 Makarov in goal.
  • #14 @ 0m50s = B31 Petersen save on G13 Malone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Posted this in the prospect thread my thoughts. Grigs looked INCREDIBLE in practice yesterday but in a game setting it seemed to not translate at all. The kid needs to get explosive or have some speed or he is going to be lagging behind the play in the NHL consistently.

Zemgus Girgensons might be the better player than Mikhail Grigorenko. That's what I've learned from camp and the prospect game. Also Rasmus Ristolanian and Nikita Zadarov are going to be beast on defense in the future. Triple Pillars with both of them and Myers all being 6'5''+. They passed by us on the water and we told them they had a great game and they said thanks and were very nice. Zemgus has this sort of swag with him at all times, the guy exudes confidence at ALL times. Freaking love it. Also Justin Bailey looked on another level from the others as well, he has it all the speed, size, tenacity, needs to work on filling out his build. I think he has a great chance to become a power forward in the NHL.

Girgs and Grigs were on the ice against each other for every shift in this game. Girgs made Grigs look like a fool nearly the entire game. Girgs has Bergy upside and I think he has the better chance to reach it then Grigs upside. Girgs looked like a man amongst boys out there even though hes only 19. I think he makes the team this year and if not comes over from Amerks when someone gets injured.

1.) Zemgus
2.) Rasmus
3.) Nikita
4.) Joel
5.) Mikhail

I wouldn't say they were on the ice against one another exclusively. Yes, there was overlap, but ZG also dominated guys like Judd Peterson and Czuczman who are pretty distant as prospects. I agree that Girgensons will probably be pretty close as a call-up, but Larrson's finish to the year may have him higher in the pecking order at this point. Similar motor, a bit more maturity.

I do like what Grigorenko did with the puck and without for the most part tonight. He crackled a couple of wristers in for solid chances but what I liked was how he was head-up and tracking his man back through the defensive zone.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Blue

1st Star (Tie)......Nick Baptiste.....looks like a steal in the 3rd round.
1st Star (Tie)....Zemgus Girgensons....dominated play most of the night
3rd Star.....Logan Nelson....played a good all around game....had one real nice goal

Honorable Mention
Gustav Possler.....scrappy and hard working
Nikita Zadorov......played a solid a physical game and was good on the offensive end
Cal Peterson.....solid in the net

Gold

1st Star.....Justin Bailey
2nd Star....Daniel Catanacci
3rd Star......Braydon McNabb

Honorable Mention
Connor Hurley......showed good skills carrying the puck

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't say they were on the ice against one another exclusively. Yes, there was overlap, but ZG also dominated guys like Judd Peterson and Czuczman who are pretty distant as prospects. I agree that Girgensons will probably be pretty close as a call-up, but Larrson's finish to the year may have him higher in the pecking order at this point. Similar motor, a bit more maturity.

I do like what Grigorenko did with the puck and without for the most part tonight. He crackled a couple of wristers in for solid chances but what I liked was how he was head-up and tracking his man back through the defensive zone.

Grigorenko's simply not gonna get much love from most after a game unless he produces points, whereas Girgensons will get love after every game unless he's terrible. That's just the reality of these differing types of players imo, though I didn't see the scrimmage so I can't say how much that was a factor in the original comment.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

1.) Zemgus
2.) Rasmus
3.) Nikita
4.) Joel
5.) Mikhail

You got my name backwards. :p:

Always felt Zemgus would be the next captain (but thought Pommer would be around for a few more years too...). Really would love to see him make the jump to the NHL, and to think he is still only 19.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

1.) Zemgus
2.) Rasmus
3.) Nikita
4.) Joel
5.) Mikhail

I think the Sabres are hoping that some of ZG rubs off on Grigs. Practice acumen not translating to games often points to confidence, effort, or adversity issues. From the TBN article it sounds like Grigs is committed to improving so I am still confident that he will bloom eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad