Pre-Game Talk: 2013 Season opener NYR @ Boston Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Agreed. My only issue with Buffalo is that it's guaranteed that Ott and/or Kaleta are going to steamroll Tuukka now that they have Big John Scott and McCormick to fight their battles for them. But the fights should be epic. Especially if Chara decides to take on Scott.

If Ott or Kaleta run Tuukka they better duck the flying milk crates.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Just opening this thread for pre-game talk and random thoughts that don't deserve thier own thread.

Rumor has it we open in Buffalo on the 19th then Host the Leafs on the 21st at 1PM.

On the Leafs being a great option for the 21st because we had them booked for the 82 game season.
https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey/...50297663672320

This week is going to be such a long week.

Haha. Luongo will have to make his Leafs debut at the Garden. :laugh:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
do you think that move is pretty much done, Bill?

I don't have any inside info on it (if that's what you mean), but there's a lot of chatter that it's in the works and can't be announced until things get underway officially.

It makes sense that VAN would want to unload him, but I have to wonder about it from the Leafs side. Luongo seems like damaged goods to me. He's not the goalie he was earlier in his career, and he has a hefty contract.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
If the Leafs land Luongo it will be the first time in a VERY LONG time they've had a legit #1 goalie.

Maybe it will be one of those trading cap space deals too? Burke had been pushing hard for those so you never know.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Certainly a lot of chatter on TSN about the trade. Almost too much smoke for there to be no fire. With Luongo having publicly said he's open to Gillis exploring any trade, I think it probably gets done.

As much as I hate Luongo, and the Leafs, it does make them a better team (assuming they don't give up much more than Bozak+)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't have any inside info on it (if that's what you mean), but there's a lot of chatter that it's in the works and can't be announced until things get underway officially.

It makes sense that VAN would want to unload him, but I have to wonder about it from the Leafs side. Luongo seems like damaged goods to me. He's not the goalie he was earlier in his career, and he has a hefty contract.

I think you are correct.

Monster contract (I guess Toronto can send him to the Marlies if he fails Redden-style) and the guy has had some serious issues recently. Pretty big risk. No way any other team could take it.

Lots of goalies won't look great playing for TO as well.

It won't take much for Reimer to become the most popular man in Toronto (ala a backup QB) if Roberto struggles starting out. And there is zero chance someone trades for him if he stuggles they will have to send him to the Marlies and pay him.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think you are correct.

Monster contract (I guess Toronto can send him to the Marlies if he fails Redden-style) and the guy has had some serious issues recently. Pretty big risk. No way any other team could take it.

Lots of goalies won't look great playing for TO as well.

It won't take much for Reimer to become the most popular man in Toronto (ala a backup QB) if Roberto struggles starting out. And there is zero chance someone trades for him if he stuggles they will have to send him to the Marlies and pay him.

Wouldn't matter with the new rules, they'd still be charged with pretty much all of the cap hit ... there's a marginal exemption (like a few hundred K), but for all intents and purposes they're on the hook for it whether he's with the Marlies or not.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Agreed. My only issue with Buffalo is that it's guaranteed that Ott and/or Kaleta are going to steamroll Tuukka now that they have Big John Scott and McCormick to fight their battles for them. But the fights should be epic. Especially if Chara decides to take on Scott.

If our 36 year-old, Norris-winning, league-best defenseman has to fight Scott, Thornton better be bought out the following day.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
None this year. But here's the funny thing, while all the media is saying no inter-conference play, a lot of them are also saying all 30 teams will be in action on opening night.

Now, I'm no genius at math, but isn't that impossible?

Blue Jackets and Canadiens will each play twice on opening day as punishment for sucking so badly last year.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012

My question is, why didn't he end up in Florida. I've seen somewhere around these boards (Too lazy to go searching through the hundreds of threads in the trade talk board) that he wants too be in Florida. He's not the goalie he once was, but he is still good. Florida getting Luongo pretty much means, to me, that they make the playoffs again.

Also, they have Markstrom and bringing him up with Luongo instead of Theodore would be a wise move. Luongo has a history of mentoring good, young goaltenders. I just don't see why Florida wouldn't go all in for him.

Luongo being on the Leafs worries me as a Bruins fan. Last year, after 48 games Toronto was in 9th place. With a goalie like him, they easily make that one spot jump.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
I never miss opening night, but if Toronto is playing Boston the following day, i really may have to get tickets for that as well. Can't miss bobbylou's first time playing in the garden since the cup run.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Joe Amorosino ‏@jamorosinoon7
#Bruins will host #Rangers to start #NHL season on January 19th. (NHL Sources) #7News

I hope this won't put me to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad