Prospect Info: 2013 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Not me.

Phillips showed after Larsson trade he as a 2011 drafted kid he could play top 6 on a good Houston team-that's significant progress and is trending in right direction.
I expect Bulmer to have a real good year, people around here forget, he looked good in his 9 game stint 2 years ago and is still only 21.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I think at the end of the year, Minnesota will have a bottom 10-12 prospect group again. Before anyone stones me, that's a good thing because we'll see guys like Nino, Coyle, and Zucker and Granlund graduated. However, we'll need those guys to turn a corner and in a big way.

However, I think at the end of the year our top prospect will be Dumba followed by Phillips. Basically,

Graduated:
Nino Neiderreiter
Charlie Coyle
Mikael Granlund
Jason Zucker

Possibly:
Johan Gustafsson
Darcy Kuemper
(due to injury)

Then when you look at the top 10, it looks a bit ugly:

1/ Mathew Dumba
2/ Zack Phillips
3/ Darcy Kuemper (if he doesn't graduate)
4/ Johan Gustafsson
5/ Gustav Olofsson
6/ Mario Luca
7/ Erik Haula
8/ Brett Bulmer
9/ Tyler Graovac
10/ Raphael Bussieres

That's a pretty weak group of players. Dumba might have the biggest impact and we can hope that Phillips and Bulmer make the impact they should. But ick. That looks a bit DResque.
Not shocked. Also it's not a horrible pool. I expect our pool will stay relatively middle of the road at best the next handful of years because the team will be doing better and we'll be picking more often than not later than most teams. Positive spin.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not shocked. Also it's not a horrible pool. I expect our pool will stay relatively middle of the road at best the next handful of years because the team will be doing better and we'll be picking more often than not later than most teams. Positive spin.

Its pretty weak unless Bummer and Phillips start to progress more. But agreed if we have a middle of the road prospect group due to competing that is a fair trade off.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A good chunk of our pool is long-term project with big upsides. Maybe I am putting on the rose-colored glasses, but Lucia, Bussi, Gilmour, Olofson, Draeger, etc. have top-6/top-4 potential. Many teams weren't willing to play the waiting game, because of short-term needs, but since the Wild already had a "full class" ahead of them, we could afford to be a little more patient, which could be huge 4-5 years from now.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
A good chunk of our pool is long-term project with big upsides. Maybe I am putting on the rose-colored glasses, but Lucia, Bussi, Gilmour, Olofson, Draeger, etc. have top-6/top-4 potential. Many teams weren't willing to play the waiting game, because of short-term needs, but since the Wild already had a "full class" ahead of them, we could afford to be a little more patient, which could be huge 4-5 years from now.

I would say Lucia, Olofsson, and maybe Draeger are Top-6/Top-4 potential, but not so much Bussieres or Gilmour. I could definitely be wrong though.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

While it is hard to say the Wild could do it but I would love to see the Wild become similar to the Detroit Red Wings in terms of development where their draftees finish college or spend a few years in the AHL. Hopefully most of the current crop can become the core so that we are not forced to have 18, 19, or 20 years olds in the lineup.

In short, it would be nice to be able to have a successful NHL team that can provide time for youngsters to develop. But, I am also of the opinion that prospects' development cannot be hindered in the AHL.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
While it is hard to say the Wild could do it but I would love to see the Wild become similar to the Detroit Red Wings in terms of development where their draftees finish college or spend a few years in the AHL. Hopefully most of the current crop can become the core so that we are not forced to have 18, 19, or 20 years olds in the lineup.

In short, it would be nice to be able to have a successful NHL team that can provide time for youngsters to develop. But, I am also of the opinion that prospects' development cannot be hindered in the AHL.

True, the Wings never rushed anybody, perhaps due to their stacked roster of the glory years.

The Devils used to have a nice plug and play relationship with their AHL team back in their prime. I was happy to hear Kleindorst will be using the same system in Iowa, so the Wild can build some of that.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Did anybody notice that our hockey's future writer went through and gave rankings to everybody drafted + Nino?

Nino was a 7.5C under the Islanders but is now a 7.0C

Gustav Olofsson is a 7.0C
Kurtis Gabriel is a 5.5B
Dylan Labbe is a 6.5C
Carson Soucy is a 6.0C
Nolan De Jong is a 6.0D
Avery Peterson is a 6.0D
Alexandre Belanger is a 6.0C

Not a good draft in the eyes of Mr. Prohaska, apparently.

Oh, and Brodin is still a 7.5B. Mm hmm. You'd think at this point he'd be like an 8.0B or at least an 8.0C but nah. Guess not.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Did anybody notice that our hockey's future writer went through and gave rankings to everybody drafted + Nino?

Nino was a 7.5C under the Islanders but is now a 7.0C

Gustav Olofsson is a 7.0C
Kurtis Gabriel is a 5.5B
Dylan Labbe is a 6.5C
Carson Soucy is a 6.0C
Nolan De Jong is a 6.0D
Avery Peterson is a 6.0D
Alexandre Belanger is a 6.0C

Not a good draft in the eyes of Mr. Prohaska, apparently.

Oh, and Brodin is still a 7.5B. Mm hmm. You'd think at this point he'd be like an 8.0B or at least an 8.0C but nah. Guess not.

Like what TSK said, I could care less about rankings. Normally, they don't change a prospects grade after the initial draft phase, so its not surprising that Brodin wouldn't be changed.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Like what TSK said, I could care less about rankings. Normally, they don't change a prospects grade after the initial draft phase, so its not surprising that Brodin wouldn't be changed.

Prohaska has actually been decent at changing ours.

Zucker started out as a 6.5C, then a 6.5B, now he's a 7.0B.
Granlund started out as a 8.0C, now he's an 8.0B.
Coyle I believe was a 7.5C for a while but now he's an 8.0C.
Phillips I think was a 7.5C and is now a 7.0C.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site

After posting on HF Boards these 11 years, I feel safe in saying that HF rankings don't mean

JACK SQUAT!

th_matt_foley.gif

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Prohaska has actually been decent at changing ours.

Zucker started out as a 6.5C, then a 6.5B, now he's a 7.0B.
Granlund started out as a 8.0C, now he's an 8.0B.
Coyle I believe was a 7.5C for a while but now he's an 8.0C.
Phillips I think was a 7.5C and is now a 7.0C.

Hmmm...didn't know that. Guess we have the only proactive one.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
8.0B is too high for Granlund, but yeah usually prospects outside the top 2-3 get the 7.5C at best.

You're saying that if Granlund reaches his maximum potential he wouldn't be an All-Start caliber player? Oh k. I think 8.0 is fitting. Not the B.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm saying his floor is not a second line forward and/or he's not 90% likely to become a first line forward. There's a bigger risk of him busting than we thought last year.

I'd have said 8.0B last year but 8.0C is where I have him.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I'm saying his floor is not a second line forward and/or he's not 90% likely to become a first line forward. There's a bigger risk of him busting than we thought last year.

I'd have said 8.0B last year but 8.0C is where I have him.

I thought you meant that the 8.0 was too high. I would agree with that then.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Compared to other writers, Prohaska ranks our prospects pretty realistically.

Some team's writers rank the majority of their lower prospects as 6.5C's as if that's the lowest rank possible.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Interesting 5.5B rating for Gabriel. I don't think I'd give him that high to be honest. That's saying he's got probably a 90% shot at being a bottom six player. Honestly I'd have him at a 5.0C or D.

Well considering Aaron Boogaard was a 4.5B I think it makes more sense.

Johnny B Good

Sep 21, 2011
Hey guys! Whats the chances of Granlund playing in the NHL this year? got him on my keepers league :)

thanks

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Hey guys! Whats the chances of Granlund playing in the NHL this year? got him on my keepers league :)

thanks

Depends on the training camp. It's him vs Coyle on the 2C spot.

If Coyle gets the spot, Granlund will likely start the season in Iowa. Should this happen, Granlund will most likely be the first call up.

He'll get some games, that's for sure. But how much, that's too difficult to know for sure at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad