Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is it possible that Ottawa could trade 3 players for a late first round pick? For example, would three NHL players like Conacher, Condra & JOB together be worth the 25th pick in the first round or an early 2nd rd pick?

Berserker*

Is it possible that Ottawa could trade 3 players for a late first round pick? For example, would three NHL players like Conacher, Condra & JOB together be worth the 25th pick in the first round or an early 2nd rd pick?

Probably...Conacher is as good if not better than any pick from 25 on and both JOB and Condra are serviceable depth players.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Not surthese a like they would want to move higher than that.

on the radio TM just said its not put of the question that they might offer 3 pieces to move up and said some teams are having trouble keeping nhlers (I assume NJD) and that moving multiple peices to move up is for sure a possibility.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

This is such a backwards move.

TheOriginalSilf*

This is such a backwards move.

I'd say.

"Let's trade a young, NHL-ready player that has potential to be a good top-6 player along with an excellent PK'er and JOB for a player that won't be NHL ready for at least 4 years and may or may not have the same offensive potential as Conacher".

Great idea.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

How about we trade everyone under six feet for Thomas Fleischmann ?

SensChirp

May 8, 2007
Tim Murray just said they might be looking at signing a buy out candidate to a one year deal and for sure said while talking about it "it fits our budget" xD
Really interesting interview with Tim Murray. Sure sounded like he was talking about Daniel Briere.

Not sure a one year deal gets it done but he's definitely a player they have looked at in the past.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

So package three guys that can play in the NHL for the chance at a guy that might play in the NHL?

Brilliant!

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Really interesting interview with Tim Murray. Sure sounded like he was talking about Daniel Briere.

Not sure a one year deal gets it done but he's definitely a player they have looked at in the past.

that would be pretty sweet. People think he's on the Decline but it seems like our coaches get the best out of our players so i could see him being pretty productive here.

another interesting thing was when they were talking about moving up in the draft TM said 7 or 8 spots . To me that means in his head he really wants someone he thinks will be gone around 9 or 10.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan have a chance of being much better than Cowen ever will be. Cowen is too dumb and lacks offensive skill to be more than a #3 dman.

Ill take a potential #1 center that is either NHL ready this fall or the season after over a current 4/5 dman with, imo, not much more room to grow.

I dont think some people understand how good Barkov and Lindholm are going to be.

I think Lindholm is comparable to Backstrom

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan have a chance of being much better than Cowen ever will be. Cowen is too dumb and lacks offensive skill to be more than a #3 dman.

Ill take a potential #1 center that is either NHL ready this fall or the season after over a current 4/5 dman with, imo, not much more room to grow.

I dont think some people understand how good Barkov and Lindholm are going to be.

Wow, a 22 year old D with not much room to grow? Regardless of disagreements over the relative merits of trading away Cowen you could quite possibly be the only person who describes Cowen as having "not much more room to grow." Normally D that young who have already cracked an NHL roster are described more in "the sky is the limit" type of language.

Anyway, so let us gut out our D to pick up this number 1 center you believe is out there for the taking. And then I suppose we get rid of one out of Spezza, Turris, or Zibby to open up a top 6 role for that player. Then we cross our fingers and hope that the player is as good as the players we got rid of.

In the mean time, as we wait for the player to start parting water and leaving a trail of burning bushes across Ottawa, let us say for the sake of argument that he puts up Yakopov numbers. He will not get that many, but let us do the hypothetical. Yakopov was good for 31 points in 48 games this year. That is pretty good for a rookie for sure, but not enough to get us any further in the playoffs. Especially not after losing one of our top 4 D.

So far we ditched Cowen, got rid of one of out existing top 6 Centers to make room for him. Now after his rookie season, before he develops into a great player, we also lose Alfie to retirement before we can make a decent cup run.

So I'll ask again whether this makes any logical sense to anyone.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I think people tend to forget that the other team actually has to accept the trade. If those prospects are so good, they may as well draft them instead of trading their pick for a dumb offensively challenged defensive defenseman.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think people tend to forget that the other team actually has to accept the trade. If those prospects are so good, they may as well draft them instead of trading their pick for a dumb offensively challenged defensive defenseman.

Depends, if your NJD you probably going to be open ears for proposal from Ottawa where you get players and retain the 17th pick.

They're kinda weird though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2