Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Conacher is the better prospect he outscores him in every league he has played in. He is tougher with more grit and compete.

He could very well be a better prospect and I do like his compete level. However, I also saw a Conacher that fell 2\3 times a shift. Hoffman has all the same tools as Conacher with a better shot that Gerard Gallant compared to B. Hull

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
IMO from what ive seen Hoffman is faster, smoother/more stable and able to do things at a higher rate of speed than Conacher who seems to spend a fair amount of time getting up off the ice
Conacher has a never say die type attitude on the ice that may separate him but i think we definitely need to see more of Hoffman.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ottawa Senators Ranked 17

130-150 million was commited to creditors they were owned over 300million Melnyk paid 92 million for the team out of his pocket

The teams value currenty according to Forbes is almost 200million

The fact is Melnyk is cheap cause he lost hundreds of million of dollars

This team is a money making machine and the guy running is cheap and is trying to make back his money off the people

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/hockey-valuations-10_Ottawa-Senators_318444.html

WOW!!!

Melnyk didn't pay $92M out of his pocket, though the team without the arena did cost $92M.

To my knowledge the exact cost for the team and arena was never made public, however reports placed that figure between $130M and $150M.

I suggest you read the numbers prior to posting a link that doesn't support the claims. :nod:

The operating income - earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization was a negative $3.8M (LOSS).

The Debt/Value is 66%, which means Melnyk owes 66% of $196M on the team and arena or $129M.

This debt needs to be serviced, I have no idea what the terms of the loan(s) are, but assuming an interest rate of 5% ($6.5M), Melnyk lost at least $10.3M prior to paying taxes.

Sure doesn't seem like a money making machine.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
You know what? After hearing all about how Reimer and Crawford are bad goalies because their gloves hands suck I am finished listening to people disparage players by focusing on one skill out of a hundred and extrapolating to the point of ridiculousness.

Yes, Conacher is small, and falls often. So ****ing what? He has other traits.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
IMO from what ive seen Hoffman is faster, smoother/more stable and able to do things at a higher rate of speed than Conacher who seems to spend a fair amount of time getting up off the ice
Conacher has a never say die type attitude on the ice that may separate him but i think we definitely need to see more of Hoffman.

yup.....very well said

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Dreger says Canes are getting calls about the 5th overall pick and are looking for a top 4 dman.

I would definitely trade Cowen for the 5th.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Have you seen MSL play lately he's always on his butt, what's your point ? I'm glad that Hoffman is smooth and stable that's an endearing quality. Able to do things at a higher rate of speed than Conacher ? Like to see him try to keep up with MSL and Stamkos like Conacher did. Search you tube where Lacavalier states that Conacher plays and thinks the game at such any incredible high pace. Don't forget when he's on his butt he's usually drawing penalties.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I mean there's no point in even believing we have an internal cap at this point. Or an internal cap as low as one or two posters whose credibility I question suggest.

The team hasn't spent much more than $54M since the rebuild started and has been trending down.

Given Murray's reported recent comments it doesn't appear more than one player will be added, yet Gonchar, Regin, Lundin, and Latendresse's salary has been shed meaning a reduction of ~$8.7M.

If Alfie returns and all the RFAs are resigned, it probably means spending overall will drop by several million for next season.

So while the numbers I posted were just a guesstimate, I'm not sure they are that far off all things being considered.

Now maybe if the right player becomes available, like a Nash, Melnyk may allow Murray to go over the initial buget number.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You know what? After hearing all about how Reimer and Crawford are bad goalies because their gloves hands suck I am finished listening to people disparage players by focusing on one skill out of a hundred and extrapolating to the point of ridiculousness.

Yes, Conacher is small, and falls often. So ****ing what? He has other traits.

so does Chara but the overwhelming attribute is his giant size and what that allows him to do.
same for Conacher his lack of size and strength/stability (pageau is small but faaaar more stable on his skates) is a huge question.

nothing wrong with being small if you can use the low center of gravity and have powerful legs etc and you have the ability to slow things down due to your speed.
i dont necessarily see those things from Conacher.
I see more a smaller Vermette who despite being superfast couldnt keep up with himself at times and led to a lot of fumbled pucks and falling down.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Have you seen MSL play lately he's always on his butt, what's your point ? I'm glad that Hoffman is smooth and stable that's an endearing quality. Able to do things at a higher rate of speed than Conacher ? Like to see him try to keep up with MSL and Stamkos like Conacher did. Search you tube where Lacavalier states that Conacher plays and thinks the game at such any incredible high pace. Don't forget when he's on his butt he's usually drawing penalties.

Yup and yet he dropped down in the line up in Tampa and eventually got traded.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tim Murray AGAIN discusses interest in Briere and need for top-end skill a 3 for 1 trade. Read it somewhere on twitter.

Ryan
Briere

and I'm happiest guy on earth.

Do NOT want Boyes. Slow af, soft af and just does not fit our system.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
The difference between a great player and a decent one can be as simple as learning how to find the empty spot in traffic, being able to receive a pass better than your peers or being a step faster. There are a million and one ways for a player to help his team, thus it doesn't matter if he is big and strong as long as he makes up for his less than desirable traits with ingenuity.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am not a fan of trading Cowen. But... Carolina needs a top 4 D that does not make too much and is willing to move 5th to get it. That is hella tempting.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Did you also notice that once Tampa started messing with things line line combos they went from dominating to drafting 3rd overall?

Actually messing with the line combinations has little to do with Tampa's decline, their problem was defence and goaltending.

Yes their scoring cooled, but it cooled prior to Conacher getting demoted and nobody expected the torrid pace they started off with was going to be maintained.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Cowen destroyed Carolina single-handedly this year. Who remembers that game? Took out their best scoring threat then manhandled 3 guys in a fight and that what his first game back after a major surgery.

And, he's only 22.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Yup and yet he dropped down in the line up in Tampa and eventually got traded.

Yes but what does this have to do with his upside as a prospect ? Conacher can't spell defense BUT YOU CAN TEACH DEFENSE. Not comparing him to Stamkos but he had the same issue his first year, how about Spezza same issue, hell MSL took a few years before he really developed.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
Cowen destroyed Carolina single-handedly this year. Who remembers that game? Took out their best scoring threat then manhandled 3 guys in a fight and that what his first game back after a major surgery.

And, he's only 22.

I remember it well to, he was playing like a fu...ing beast. Skinner learned not to try the middle when Cowen on the ice

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Actually messing with the line combinations has little to do with Tampa's decline, their problem was defence and goaltending.

Yes their scoring cooled, but it cooled prior to Conacher getting demoted and nobody expected the torrid pace they started off with was going to be maintained.

Guess dropping Conacher down really helped them then ! :laugh: Tampa has pitiful team defense there forwards cough up the puck constantly. There defense is and goaltending are weak but there forwards are no help ! Conacher needed to be dropped down, too much for a rookie like him to be playing against the other teams best players night in and night out. Especially when your team is a defensive mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad