Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Maybe we could trade Cowen for the 5th, pick up a great D that is out there (like Nurse), and maybe after a couple years of development and a bit of luck he will turn out to be as good as Cowen! Makes total sense.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The difference between a great player and a decent one can be as simple as learning how to find the empty spot in traffic, being able to receive a pass better than your peers or being a step faster. There are a million and one ways for a player to help his team, thus it doesn't matter if he is big and strong as long as he makes up for his less than desirable traits with ingenuity.

What you are describing is skill and not all players were born equal.

Small players generally get less time to make the NHL grade than bigger players because coaches feel comfortable moving good big men to the 3rd and 4th line, good smaller players are seldom given that opportunity.

It may not be fair, but it is what it is.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
I would do Cowen+17th for the 5th every day of the week and then hope Tampa takes the Russian. I like him, but I know Murray will never take him.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Maybe we could trade Cowen for the 5th, pick up a great D that is out there (like Nurse), and maybe after a couple years of development and a bit of luck he will turn out to be as good as Cowen! Makes total sense.

Don't be silly. If we are trading for the 5th, it isn't to take Nurse. You know the Top 7 have separated themselves from the rest and that there are 6 high-end forwards in that group. You also know that our biggest weakness is top end forwards. You also know that even if we don't end up with a forward, we'd get Jones who has higher upside than Cowen. You know all these things but you still want to make your snide little remark.

Last edited by a moderator:

R2010

May 23, 2011
Don't be an a$*hat. If we are trading for the 5th, it isn't to take Nurse. You know the Top 7 have separated themselves from the rest and that there are 6 high-end forwards in that group. You also know that our biggest weakness is top end forwards. You also know that even if we don't end up with a forward, we'd get Jones who has higher upside than Cowen. You know all these things but you still want to make your snide little remark.

Question - where was Jared Cowen ranked pre-injury :sarcasm:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How about Malone if he gets bought out? Tough dude that has scored over 20 goals 6 times in his career. Pretty proven scorer. He's 33 though.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
How about Malone if he gets bought out? Tough dude that has scored over 20 goals 6 times in his career. Pretty proven scorer. He's 33 though.

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but didn't he veto a trade to Toronto a few years back based on not wanting to play in Canada?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
My point was that the value of prospects is greatly inflated leading up to, and on, draft day. The day after the draft the player becomes one more young guy in the system that needs to learn how to make the jump to the NHL. Picks are always crap shoots, and some crap out.

The other point that seems to have become a theme to my posts in a lot of discussions is that trading away guys like Cowen is insane. He is big, has a mean streak, and can play top 4 minutes. You just don't get rid of guys like that. It is like the lesson of Chara has not been understood.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Meszaros would be an option for BM, he has injury issues as well but could be a cheap pickup & has top 4 potential. Has a terrific shot from the point.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
I was floating around the idea of Cowen for the 5th for a player like Barkov. Not another D.

It all depends on the message we are sending Alfie.....Do we want to get him a cup? If so, there is no way we are trading away a developed player for a draft pick unless Murray were to have another move ready for a good dman like Bogosian.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
that's crazy talk........why not give them Zibanejad as well

Why are unproven prospects held in such high regard here. Cowen has great upside and everyone wants to trade him. I think are prospects are great and wouldn't trade any high end ones without getting a proven player back.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
My point was that the value of prospects is greatly inflated leading up to, and on, draft day. The day after the draft the player becomes one more young guy in the system that needs to learn how to make the jump to the NHL. Picks are always crap shoots, and some crap out.

The other point that seems to have become a theme to my posts in a lot of discussions is that trading away guys like Cowen is insane. He is big, has a mean streak, and can play top 4 minutes. You just don't get rid of guys like that. It is like the lesson of Chara has not been understood.

100% agree

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
couple of the players have been discussed as being potential #1 if not for Russian factors. The top 4-5 offensive prospects are going to be amazing.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan have a chance of being much better than Cowen ever will be. Cowen is too dumb and lacks offensive skill to be more than a #3 dman.

Ill take a potential #1 center that is either NHL ready this fall or the season after over a current 4/5 dman with, imo, not much more room to grow.

I dont think some people understand how good Barkov and Lindholm are going to be.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Why are unproven prospects held in such high regard here. Cowen has great upside and everyone wants to trade him. I think are prospects are great and wouldn't trade any high end ones without getting a proven player back.

I guess you didn't get the sarcasm......Next I will include this :sarcasm:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Tim Murray just said they might be looking at signing a buy out candidate to a one year deal and for sure said while talking about it "it fits our budget" xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad