Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
How do you guys feel about some of the free agents and the rangers signing them?

Boyes and Bozak seem interesting

Clarkson seems like he may end up on leafs

Then there are the vets who would be okay for a short contract but.. It never works out like that:shakehead in Jagr, Iginla, Morrow, Strait.

Then you have the Ryder's, Ribero's, and Horton's.

Just looking for the opinions of those more intelligent than myself on this years free agents and how one could fit into the lineup and cap.

No to Boyes and Bozak. People are worried about Stepan and Brassard only being 2Cs, so why do we need a 3rd one in Bozak? Personally, I think we're fine up the middle.

No to Ribero. Ryder and Horton are interesting, think they will price themselves out.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
My original post was simply that the Rangers don't have enough finishers or high end talent. I thought bringing in Nash + Gabby would have balanced out this team ... but obviously we let too much of the grit and character of this team walk to bring in Nash thus resulting in trading away Gabby ... which now looks like a great trade moving forward with what we got back ... HOWEVER we still do need someone else on this roster who is a threat to score consistently.

Now there are some teams like Boston and LA that roll 4 deep lines ... and there are some like Pittsburgh that overwhelm you with talent in the top 2 lines ... but either way you slice it they have more threats than we do. Now I'm not sure if our lack of offensive punch is a result of poor coaching or not (some still want Torts out) but I do not think having more offensive forwards would hurt this team.

Well, in that case...I agree!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
What about a MDZ + Hags for Eberle trade?

I dont know if that'd be enough to snag Eberle, but I think its a package the Rangers should consider shopping.

Both MDZ and Hagelin have deceptively high value and Im not so sure how much more they'll improve.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I dont know if that'd be enough to snag Eberle, but I think its a package the Rangers should consider shopping.

Both MDZ and Hagelin have deceptively high value and Im not so sure how much more they'll improve.

I think MDZ and Hags have high value to other teams that need that "fit" .. teams that have high end forwards and need other pieces to balance out their lines. It's not a bad place to start.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
He wouldn't be effective at all on the forecheck and he is weak along the boards. Stay far away.

So was Richards. He's a finisher. We need more of those. Give him a 1 or 2 year deal for 2.5-3 depending on the space we have and stick him with Zuccarello and a defensively responsible center like Lindberg.

Worth a shot.

Kershaw

Which is why I think if we were able to land a legitimate high end offensive forward it would really make a world of a difference. Why? Simple ...

#1 Takes less pressure off Nash to be "the guy" in every spot to score
#2 Everyone else like Cally, Step, Hags, Brassard etc take a step back in terms of expectations and depth
#3 Helps to balance out a team that has too much grit and not enough finishing ability

The Rangers had a 1st line scoring winger and he was traded to Columbus.

No interest in Thomas Vanek, truly one of the more overrated players in the game IMO. He is a maddeningly inconsistent forward and very overpaid on his contract. Good hands in tight, good at tipping pucks and fights tooth n nail with defensemen in front of the net. I think his skating ability is very overrated and he isn't a good positional player. Not really cerebral. Don't think he really helps that team that much TBH.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I dunno. Hagelin is a good, versatile player who can be a top-six guy in a pinch. The problem is we rely on him consistently be a top-six forward. I think it would behoove us to hold onto him unless packaging him with Del Zotto is the difference between a mediocre return and a stellar one.

For some reason I just have a good feeling about him and Lindberg as 2/3 of do-it-all 3rd line. If we had the pieces so that Cally could play his ES time on the RW with those two, that would be fantastic.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'd be open to trading Del Zotto, but as far as major moves... that's it.

Keep what you got. Supplement top 9 skill with one UFA. Supplement top 6 D with one more, but don't break the bank on either.

Let Kreider, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Thomas (x factor, to me) duke it out for roster spots if necessary.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Danny Briere would be ideal, IMO.

Hagelin for Rundblad makes me feel :(

I like Briere too. Always have. Philly always have a good PP, he is -- part -- of the reason for that.

But he is not "the" playmaker on a PP, more the guy who can be one of three guys moving the puck around. I just read somewhere that somebody expected Heatly to be bought out, perfectly possible that he isn't. How bad is his back (?) problems? Anyway, he got size and with two midgets on the lineup I choose him. I wouldn't mind Briere on a lineup with a diffrent structure (Granlund, Briere and Zucc is a bit too much midget-like).

As for Hagelin, I'd deal him for Rundblad but it of course sucks. But Rundblad got top notch offensive abilit and we need a PP. If a Ryan Murphy or Voynov can't be had, I'd look at Rundblad. Feels like a deal Maloney could do. Rundblad also got an underrated hipcheck...

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Keep what you got. Supplement top 9 skill with one UFA. Supplement top 6 D with one more, but don't break the bank on either.

Let Kreider, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Thomas (x factor, to me) duke it out for roster spots if necessary.

If Thomas comes through, that'd be a huge plus for this organization.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I dunno. Hagelin is a good, versatile player who can be a top-six guy in a pinch. The problem is we rely on him consistently be a top-six forward. I think it would behoove us to hold onto him unless packaging him with Del Zotto is the difference between a mediocre return and a stellar one.

For some reason I just have a good feeling about him and Lindberg as 2/3 of do-it-all 3rd line. If we had the pieces so that Cally could play his ES time on the RW with those two, that would be fantastic.

Eberle is not a "mediocre" return.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The Rangers had a 1st line scoring winger and he was traded to Columbus.

No interest in Thomas Vanek, truly one of the more overrated players in the game IMO. He is a maddeningly inconsistent forward and very overpaid on his contract. Good hands in tight, good at tipping pucks and fights tooth n nail with defensemen in front of the net. I think his skating ability is very overrated and he isn't a good positional player. Not really cerebral. Don't think he really helps that team that much TBH.

Perhaps ... but I still think we need to address the loss of Gabby in some way ... perhaps in a trade?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Perhaps ... but I still think we need to address the loss of Gabby in some way ... perhaps in a trade?

No. No. No. No. No.

Overreach is exactly what got this team in trouble this year. We don't need to address the loss of Gaborik. We need to address top 9 talent, not top 3. We have the horses we need up there, but teams that are built along the model the Rangers are need DEPTH more than a plethora of top wingers. We are not the Penguins and we will never be the Penguins.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't understand acquiring a playmaking center when we have Stepan and Brassard, and Zucc too. Completely agree with acquiring a RH O-dman, though. I think having that a lone would help the PP. Would like to see MDZ dealt for a scoring winger.

Clowe - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Kreider
Zucc - Boyle - Callahan
Haley - Powe* - Dorsett

* Or a prospect; Lindberg? Miller?

My thinking is just, we didn't have a PP with Richards, we will not have one without him. I also don't want to put too much pressure on Step and Brass, they are still young.

Also, Torts won't give us a transition game, but like we saw with Brassard, puck skills at center ice helps us. Stepan does not have the skating or hands to get the up ice. Why not get another playmaking center? We need to fix this.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

I agree, but I would also prioritize depth on defense. The Bruins playing Torey Krug because of injuries, while we had to play a non-NHL defenseman like Roman Hamrlik because of injuries....not fair.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
No. No. No. No. No.

Overreach is exactly what got this team in trouble this year. We don't need to address the loss of Gaborik. We need to address top 9 talent, not top 3. We have the horses we need up there, but teams that are built along the model the Rangers are need DEPTH more than a plethora of top wingers. We are not the Penguins and we will never be the Penguins.

Not sure if I agree with this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
My thinking is just, we didn't have a PP with Richards, we will not have one without him. I also don't want to put too much pressure on Step and Brass, they are still young.

Also, Torts won't give us a transition game, but like we saw with Brassard, puck skills at center ice helps us. Stepan does not have the skating or hands to get the up ice. Why not get another playmaking center? We need to fix this.

Stepan is going to be a 4th year NHLer. Brassard is going to be a 6th year NHLer. These aren't kids anymore. They are young vets.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree, but I would also prioritize depth on defense. The Bruins playing Torey Krug because of injuries, while we had to play a non-NHL defenseman like Roman Hamrlik because of injuries....not fair.

We need to fix our right side issue. I like Anton Stralman a lot, but he would look a ton better as a 3rd pair D. Dylan McIlrath is a potential long-term fix, but will he be ready next year?

Ian White could be an option.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No. No. No. No. No.

???

We have no one at LW that can even be mistaken for a first line player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad