Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I noticed there have been a few conversations pop up about what the Rangers should do in the off-season in a few different threads. This will be a place to discuss those things.

Re-sign Clowew? Sign Clarkson? What will players be looking for?

Re-vamp the bottom-6? Trades?

Go to town...

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Wow, Sather has many, many decisions to make this off season!

Torts? Good at developing and playing kids, but his system leads to no sustained offensive pressure, and can't adapt to other teams, in-game or during a playoff series. His system only works if he has big, mobile players who grind and cycle in back of the other teams goal line. Guess what, we had that last year, but not this year, especially with Clowe out! When playing an offensively talented team like the Caps, I can understand playing this way, since you can't get in a track meet with them, so you grind it out, slow the play down and hope Hank is ...Hank!
Against a team like the Bruins, who Torts sees as his type of team, you can't use the same damn system! You have to try to pressure and play a more open game and not play along the boards or sit back and defend, they're much more balanced, bigger and stronger than we are.
I hate to say this, but can we play like the Islanders do!!!

Richards? Buy out this year or next?

DZ/Girardi/Stall? Who do we trade, considering they'll all be up for contracts renewals in the next couple of years...

Stepan/Brassard? Like both of them, but can we have 2, #2 centers??

Lundqvist? Start talking contract extension with him as soon as game 4 ends...and hope he buys whatever Sather will tell him about improving the team on and off the ice...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
ugh, this sucks but some tweaks need to be made.

50/50 if Tors is back. I side with yes cause he should get a full training camp and regular season. At the same time he has to tweak his system

Another tough call but I buy out Richards this yr, why wait till next
Sign Weiss to replace Richards on a short term deal, 2 yrs to prove himself again
Re-Sign Clowe and Zuccarello
Re-sign Eminger on the cheap as the 7th D
Trade Pyatt for cap space. Get a mid round pick
All other UFA's go

Close to the same team really. D and G no changes
G- Lundqvist, Biron ( Talbot the back up after next yr )
D- McD, Girardi, Staal, Moore, Del Zotto, Stralman, Eminger ( McIlrath call up)
Bickel in the minors, joy...........pray for Sauer to be back

C- Stepan, Weiss, Brassard, Boyle. Lindberg as a call up later
LW- Nash, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Powe. Fast as a call up later
RW- Callahan, Clowe, Kreider, Asham, Haley. Miller as a call up later
usual suspects on the minors, Newbury, likely re-sign Mashinter

I know that's not many changes but I really think they have the personnel they just need a full season and different style

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
UFAS: Clowe, Hamrlik, Eminger, Gilroy, Collins, Pyett, Segal, Vernace
RFAS: Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, McDonagh, Sauer, Ferriero, Niemi (supposedly signed in Europe), Palmieri, Mashinter
Unsigned Prospects: McColgan, Noreau, Ceresnak, Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty, Anderssen, Spelling

IMO Hamrlik, Gilroy, Collins, Vernace, Ferriero, and Palmieri are gone. Eminger, Pyett, Segal, Vernace, and Sauer are probably gone if they can find a replacement. Ceresnak is gone from the prospects.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
1) Get rid of Torts. I tried to stick by him for as long as I could but I'm done.

2) Get rid of Richards. I loved the signing originally. It amazes me how quickly his skills diminished.

3) Try to deal one or both of Staal/Del Zotto for some top end forwards. Maybe try revisiting Staal to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan, or someone of that ilk.

4) Try to sign Weiss to a cheap deal. Couple years at 3.5 per.

Ryan - Weiss - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Pyatt/Asham - Boyle - Dorsett

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal/Del Zotto - Stralman
Moore - UFA/Eminger?

Lundqvist
Biron

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

1) Get rid of Torts. I tried to stick by him for as long as I could but I'm done.

2) Get rid of Richards. I loved the signing originally. It amazes me how quickly his skills diminished.

3) Try to deal one or both of Staal/Del Zotto for some top end forwards. Maybe try revisiting Staal to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan, or someone of that ilk.

Ryan - Weiss - Nash

McDonagh - Girardi
Moore - UFA/Eminger?

Lundqvist
Biron

Get out of my head. Seriously. :clap:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
UFAS: Clowe, Hamrlik, Eminger, Gilroy, Collins, Pyett, Segal, Vernace
RFAS: Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, McDonagh, Sauer, Ferriero, Niemi (supposedly signed in Europe), Palmieri, Mashinter
Unsigned Prospects: McColgan, Noreau, Ceresnak, Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty, Anderssen, Spelling

IMO Hamrlik, Gilroy, Collins, Vernace, Ferriero, and Palmieri are gone. Eminger, Pyett, Segal, Vernace, and Sauer are probably gone if they can find a replacement. Ceresnak is gone from the prospects.

Thanks for the list. Clowe and Eminger back. see ya Hamrlik and Gilroy, others whatever they are AHL vet bodies.

RFA- McD, Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello should all be no brainders. Zuc deserves a few yrs, he did well. Sauer if he plays will get a two way deal and try and come back. Again the others whatever AHL vets.

The decisions here are not too hard really

The tough decision is Richards this yr or next but it's inevitable so I would just take the cap space now

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Sather moves up to just President of the team.

Gorton becomes GM

Fire Torts and hire Lindy Ruff

Buyout Richards

Take a flier on Daniel Briere who will be bought out by the Flyers. Sign him to a one year contract. He still has good hands and with his close proximity to his kids in Philly he would probably sign here really cheap. His relationship with Ruff wouldn't hurt either.

Don't resign Clowe OR sign Clarkson. Sign Matt Hendrix

Briere Brassard Nash
Hagelin Stepan Callahan
Kreider Hendrix Dorsett
Pyatt Boyle Asham

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
You guys make it sound like this season is already over...

I think Torts has to go. I like his personality, but his inability/unwillingness to adapt is a big issue. Part of me wants to give him one more chance with a full training camp and tell him to go back to his "safe is death" motto, but I don't see that happening.

Amnesty for Richards. Our fourth line center playing 8 minutes in a must-win playoff game can't have his cap hit.

Clowe is a tough choice. I'd like him back if healthy, and under the right contract. However, with both of those conditions being iffy at best, plus the fact we'd need to surrender another 2nd rounder, I say let him go.

I would move DZ for a forward, but the talk of getting a Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/Ryan I've read elsewhere seems like quite a reach.

A few questions have to be answered: Can we assume Sauer unfortunately never laces 'em up again? Does Staal return to pre-concussion Staal? How close are Lindberg and/or Fast(h) to being ready? Is OL a training camp away or a year in the AHL away?

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
MZA - Brassard - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Dorsett
Pyatt/Powe- Boyle- Asham

Pyatt/Powe/OL

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Moore - Del Zotto

Eminger/Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

Is this a cup team? No. Does it suck to not be able to reload right now as Hank gets another year older? Of course. But since Anaheim locked up Getzlaf, there's no quick fix available on the FA market this summer so I think it's best to be patient.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Give Richards another shot

Changes on the bench

Lock up Staal

Move one of del Zotto or Girardi for forward help

Sign Clowe for max 3mil per

Give Stepan a one year deal. if he can keep up his play, lock him up long term

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Ryan - Weiss - Nash

McDonagh - Girardi
Moore - UFA/Eminger?

Lundqvist
Biron

Too much offense for T*******a. :shakehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"Youth movement"

Fire Torts, hire Dallas Eakins. He's been in the AHL since 09-10. I know Burke isn't in Toronto anymore, but he was behind Eakins for most of his tenure there. Sather and Burke have a relationship, there's your in.

Buy-out Richards. Trade Del Zotto at the draft for a first-rounder and a forward. The Sabres have MN's 16th overall this year. Send DZ to Buffalo for that pick and Luke Adam. With that pick, draft a true puck moving defenseman. Wonder if Pulock will be available at 16.

Let all the UFA's walk. Re-sign Step, Hags, Zuccs, McDonagh. See if Robyn Regher will sign here on a 2 year deal for ~$7mil.

Now get that youth in there. Adam, Kreider, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Thomas, St. Croix, etc... all need a shot to make the team right out of camp. Since it will be an 82 game season, growing pains will be easier to handle over the course of the season. I trust Eakins to handle them.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Callahan
Fast - Lindberg/Adam/ - Zuccarello
Asham - Boyle - Powe

Staal - G
McD - Stralman
Moore - Regher

Under the right system, this team could excel. Exceptionally deep on defense, and offense throughout the lineup.

This is my pipe dream though, as Torts is going nowhere. What can ya do :dunno:

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I get the reason for making this catch-all thread, but I still call Pre-Mature...we are not done yet! Couldn't this have waited another two days...or four...or six...or five weeks!?! :)

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I don’t like turning over personnel needlessly as much as the next guy, but this squad needs some change.

I would like to see a coaching change, but who? At the very least a PP coach needs to be brought in. They need to make a deliberate effort to improve special teams. Tortorella is wearing thin, but he’s earned another season with a training camp, etc. If we’re still struggling mid year, he has to go!

More than anything I want to see Miller, McILrath, and Kreider incorporated into the lineup as contributing players.
Is St Croix too far off? We have to start developing some of our own scoring from within. We some of our own ‘success storiesâ€

Staal* - Girardi

Mcdonagh – Stralman – MDZ*

Moore – McIlrath

*I hope his vision is 100% for next season but Staals health concerns me. I’m not confident he can resume his physical style of play. hope I’m wrong.

Like many, I’m on board for trading MDZ to bring in another scorer.

I’d like to see sign a true PP QB for our power play.

Overall our defense is too soft. I think we need a crease clearing (not screening) presence.
McIlrath?

Don’t sign:
Boyle
Eminger
Gilroy
MZA
Clowe* 1-2yr deal max no more than $3.5m per.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I don’t like turning over personnel needlessly as much as the next guy, but this squad needs some change.

I would like to see a coaching change, but who? At the very least a PP coach needs to be brought in. They need to make a deliberate effort to improve special teams. Tortorella is wearing thin, but he’s earned another season with a training camp, etc. If we’re still struggling mid year, he has to go!

More than anything I want to see Miller, McILrath, and Kreider incorporated into the lineup as contributing players.
Is St Croix too far off? We have to start developing some of our own scoring from within. We some of our own ‘success stories”

Staal* - Girardi

Mcdonagh – Stralman – MDZ*

Moore – McIlrath

*I hope his vision is 100% for next season but Staals health concerns me. I’m not confident he can resume his physical style of play. hope I’m wrong.

Like many, I’m on board for trading MDZ to bring in another scorer.

I’d like to see sign a true PP QB for our power play.

Overall our defense is too soft. I think we need a crease clearing (not screening) presence.
McIlrath?

Don’t sign:
Boyle
Eminger
Gilroy
MZA
Clowe* 1-2yr deal max no more than $3.5m per.

The scouting reports from Hartford sound like McIlrath will probably not be ready for the NHL next season. Apparently his knee injury set him back...or he still has a lot to learn...depends who you listen to.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Trade Girardi for forward help, lock up Staal. Maybe Girardi+ for Ryan?

Bring back Clowe.

Go with something like this.

MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Ryan
Clowe - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Boyle
-Asham-

Staal, MDZ, MCD, Stralman, Eminger, Mcilrath, a few UFA signings to fill it out here and there.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Gorton is given the reigns and really wanted to make a splash, he'd trade Lundqvist and Nash.

Im mostly kidding. But that would be the type of full-bore rebuild that Sather never had the balls to go through with.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The scouting reports from Hartford sound like McIlrath will probably not be ready for the NHL next season. Apparently his knee injury set him back...or he still has a lot to learn...depends who you listen to.

yea. pisses me off. injurys or not, alot of time invested in a player who's ceiling is 4th defenseman

1st/10th overall... grrrrr

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
If Gorton is given the reigns and really wanted to make a splash, he'd trade Lundqvist and Nash.

Im mostly kidding. But that would be the type of full-bore rebuild that Sather never had the balls to go through with.

there should be other ways he can make splash that can maximize what we have right now

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
there should be other ways he can make splash that can maximize what we have right now

Theres no magic bullet here.

We've got management and a large portion of the fanbase thinking that the pieces in place are better than they actually are.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Theres no magic bullet here.

We've got management and a large portion of the fanbase thinking that the pieces in place are better than they actually are.

I think this team needs adjustments across the board...

management, drafting, development, coaching, personel...

we need to make the RIGHT moves in these areas. more than anything else we need to develop scoring from within. We have no one coming into this lineup bringing offense.

we may disagree about how Krieder was handled this season, but next season he needs to be a part of this top 6.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Trade Girardi for forward help, lock up Staal. Maybe Girardi+ for Ryan?

Bring back Clowe.

Go with something like this.

MZA - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Ryan
Clowe - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Miller - Boyle
-Asham-

Staal, MDZ, MCD, Stralman, Eminger, Mcilrath, a few UFA signings to fill it out here and there.

So we resign Clowe (and give up another 2nd round pick) who has had 2 concussions in the past month?

We don't buy out Richards who looks lost, out of shape, disinterested etc?

Instead of trading from our strength on defense (the left side) we trade a right defenseman in Girardi? That makes no sense unless we are upgrading the right side. Who's the upgrade? Mcilrath? Come on....:laugh:

Where is Torts in your equation? Remember when Renney was fired how you loved Torts, Torts would change everything...etc....Is Torts still the right guy for the job? Is 4 seasons plus the end of 08-09 enough of a sample size to evaluate Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad