Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
those are the type of players NYR hasnt had since Adam Graves although some would say Dubinsky..... :help: it seems like every other team can get their gritty skilled forwards except NYR... too bad Callahan isnt 6'2 210... if Sather should have added forwards with size and skill at the deadline besides Ryan Clowe.... Clowe is the only legit skilled forward with toughness who knows if he will come back... :help: i like getting Dorsett but he seems like a dumb hockey player at times although a small upgrade from Prust but does take stupid penalties

Ducks have Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan
Bruins Lucic Marchand Horton
Kings have Brown Richards Carter
Flyers have Giroux Hartnell
Canucks have Burrows and Kesler
Blues have Backes Oshie Stewart

Rangers have the smallest top 6 in the eastern conference except the Habs...
How are Burrows and Kesler tough but not Callahan?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think Dany Heatley will be bought out. He has one more year left and Minnesota is already spending big money above the cap with the Suter and Parise contracts.

Danny Briere would be ideal, IMO.

Hagelin for Rundblad makes me feel :(

Briere, Lecavalier, Malone, Hossa (eventually), Franzen, Ballard, Jones, Goligoski, Horcoff, Carter, Richards, Ehrhoff, Leino, etc.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Vanek has another year left on his contract before he becomes a group III. As if the Rangers cap situation is challenging enough.....Some of fan base never learns. Top heavy team. Big names.

Agreed. I like Vanek, but he's an unrealistic get.

The Rangers need to develop their own top talent. In the meantime, the Rangers can build like the Bruins — depth at forward, great defensively, excellent goaltending.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Ducks have Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan
Bruins Lucic Marchand Horton
Kings have Brown Richards Carter
Flyers have Giroux Hartnell
Canucks have Burrows and Kesler
Blues have Backes Oshie Stewart

Yes, and only one of those teams advanced farther than the Rangers, the Kings would be the second if they can win Game 7 v. SJ.

I'd love to have a lot of those players on that list but it's no guarantee of success. The secret is putting the different pieces together in the right combination for your team.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Yes, and only one of those teams advanced farther than the Rangers, the Kings would be the second if they can win Game 7 v. SJ.

I'd love to have a lot of those players on that list but it's no guarantee of success. The secret is putting the different pieces together in the right combination for your team.

When you are able to roll 4 lines deep with talent you have a significant adv over your opponent. Guarantee success? NO. Helps? You bet.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
When you are able to roll 4 lines deep with talent you have a significant adv over your opponent. Guarantee success? NO. Helps? You bet.

You're post was about the Rangers being too small and not having enough of types of guys you listed, not about having 4 line depth.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Vanek makes 7 million a year, has one season left on his contract, and would take more than Thomas+St. Croix+ 3rd to get him.

It's impractical. We'd basically be trading to re-aquire Gaborik, and that puts us in depth and cap hell again.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
You're post was about the Rangers being too small and not having enough of types of guys you listed, not about having 4 line depth.

My original post was simply that the Rangers don't have enough finishers or high end talent. I thought bringing in Nash + Gabby would have balanced out this team ... but obviously we let too much of the grit and character of this team walk to bring in Nash thus resulting in trading away Gabby ... which now looks like a great trade moving forward with what we got back ... HOWEVER we still do need someone else on this roster who is a threat to score consistently.

Now there are some teams like Boston and LA that roll 4 deep lines ... and there are some like Pittsburgh that overwhelm you with talent in the top 2 lines ... but either way you slice it they have more threats than we do. Now I'm not sure if our lack of offensive punch is a result of poor coaching or not (some still want Torts out) but I do not think having more offensive forwards would hurt this team.

Punxrocknyc19*

How are Burrows and Kesler tough but not Callahan?

i never said Callahan wasnt tough... im talking about players with Size.. Callahan is tough for his size.. but imagine if he was a bit bigger.... Callahan is a physical player but not chippy like Marchand and Burrows are... Callahan hits hard one of the best in the league but by his style, to me he tends to wear himself down quite a bit. only if Callahan was 6'2 200

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
additionally ... with the core group we have what is our window of success? 3Y? 5Y? Need to evaluate that as well and make a bold statement to either go for it or be prudent.

Wolfpack21

Dec 14, 2008
Ranger fan in Jersey
How do you guys feel about some of the free agents and the rangers signing them?

Boyes and Bozak seem interesting

Clarkson seems like he may end up on leafs

Then there are the vets who would be okay for a short contract but.. It never works out like that:shakehead in Jagr, Iginla, Morrow, Strait.

Then you have the Ryder's, Ribero's, and Horton's.

Just looking for the opinions of those more intelligent than myself on this years free agents and how one could fit into the lineup and cap.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
How do you guys feel about some of the free agents and the rangers signing them?

Then there are the vets who would be okay for a short contract but.. It never works out like that:shakehead in Jagr, Iginla, Morrow, Strait.

Just looking for the opinions of those more intelligent than myself on this years free agents and how one could fit into the lineup and cap.

I would be interested in Ribero depending on what he wanted.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Bottom line is this team has too many "average core guys" and not enough "high end talent" that can pot goals when needed. It's like the team has a lot of very high "grade B" players that are great contributors and bring lots to the table including chemistry, hockey IQ, work ethic, and grit but we definitely need a forward who can flat out finish.

I agree completely.

Championship*

I don't think fitting into the lineup matters as much as the fact that every one of those players is going to be over payed and the Rangers can't afford that, nor is there a name on that list that actually warrants over paying.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I agree completely.

Which is why I think if we were able to land a legitimate high end offensive forward it would really make a world of a difference. Why? Simple ...

#1 Takes less pressure off Nash to be "the guy" in every spot to score
#2 Everyone else like Cally, Step, Hags, Brassard etc take a step back in terms of expectations and depth
#3 Helps to balance out a team that has too much grit and not enough finishing ability

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I'd listen to offers on anyone on this roster. If they get a 2013 no. 1 draft pick back, I'd probably do it, depending on the offers, but getting back into the first round this year would be a goal. Some may be more tradeable than others, but I'd definitely listen.

Drewbackatu*

You talk if the team has options in goal beyond Lundqvist. The Rangers will and should pay him whatever the hell he wants.

They'll pay to keep him but you can bet dollars to donuts it won't be anywhere near 10 mil a season!

For arguments sake, if 10 mil is what it takes to keep him here, let his agent find some lousy, non playoff contending team to sign Hank because non of the top teams will be in a position to pay him that kind of money either!

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Heatley would be interesting if he was cheap. Don't think he will be bought out though. Let his contract expire. Rangers we're looking into acquiring Heatley before they went with Gaborik instead.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am going to keep pimping Eric Nystrom until the cows come home.

Fast, great PKer, can play wing or center, will drop the gloves, is scrappy, dangerous on the PK. He is a very similar player to Gregory Campbell, something the Rangers need. They need to add some depth scoring. Nystrom is good for 15-20 points/season.

Nystrom at 4th line LW, Boyle at center on the 4th line, Haley on the RW.
Nystrom-Boyle-Haley

They need the right players for depth. He can move up in the line-up if need be and not look out of place. If they are serious about winning, these are the types of guys who win. Fast, elusive, hard workers.

They need to become harder to play against. Asham and Pyatt are not providing that. Same with Powe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad