Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I like this option alot.

Assuming we buy out Richards, and preferebly resigning Clowe, in a perfect world, we do the following:

1. Get a right shooting PMD;

2. Aquite a center with playmaking ability through trade (neither Stepan nor Brassard can run a PP by themselves),

3. Sign a vet bought-out with a goal-scoring touch.

Or, switch the object in 2&3 mutatis mutandis (IE sign a bought out playmaker and trade for a player with a shot). Bottom line, three new players. There is where Slats gotta draw a line.

There is no need to have 16 capable forwards and 9 D's in the NHL, so we can give up a fair amount of bodies too, to ensure we get a proper return. I also want alot of spots open for kids.

I am making up this as I write, but maybe something like this:
*Trade Carl Hagelin for David Rundblad.
*Trade MDZ and Kreider for Granlund/Yakubov.
*Sign a bought out Dany Heatly.
*Trade/dump Asham, Pyatt, Powe, Strålman (see Rundblad + need for McIlrath enforcement (honeymoon is over, we need him)) for picks and prospects.

JT Miller-Stepan-Callahan
Clowe-Granlund/Yakubov-Nash
Zucc-Brassard-Heatly
Powe-Boyle-Dorsett
Staal-Rundblad
McD-Girardi
Moore-McIlrath

I don't understand acquiring a playmaking center when we have Stepan and Brassard, and Zucc too. Completely agree with acquiring a RH O-dman, though. I think having that a lone would help the PP. Would like to see MDZ dealt for a scoring winger.

Clowe - Brassard - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Kreider
Zucc - Boyle - Callahan
Haley - Powe* - Dorsett

* Or a prospect; Lindberg? Miller?

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

We'll all know better regarding who can be snagged before the draft. Guys like Thomas Vanek, Evander Kane, Max Pacioretty would be the level of player we need. Can we get Vanek with MDZ, Boyle +?

I don't want Vanek another non physical forward in top 6 NYR don't need. Rather pay a bit more for Kane or Pacioretty who plays chippy at times... Rangers need more grit in their top 6 even after if the resign Clowe. The top 6 forwards are too soft and don't play like their size like Nash, Boyle... I guess some fans like non physical skilled forwards.. NYR need more grit with skill... guys like E.Kane D.Brown D.Backes as examples. Those type of players.

Apr 10, 2012
I don't understand acquiring a playmaking center when we have Stepan and Brassard, and Zucc too. Completely agree with acquiring a RH O-dman, though. I think having that a lone would help the PP. Would like to see MDZ dealt for a scoring winger.

it wouldn't be enough to fix the pp if we can't get the puck into the zone :\

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I don't think Dany Heatley will be bought out. He has one more year left and Minnesota is already spending big money above the cap with the Suter and Parise contracts.

Danny Briere would be ideal, IMO.

Hagelin for Rundblad makes me feel :(

Where are you going to put Danny? Even though he can play third line center. Would he be worth it for the price tag?

You going to make him 2nd line center? Even though he has been seriously declining and injury prone as of late?

I don't see the benefit of Briere. Unless of course your being facetious, which could be the case.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Where are you going to put Danny? Even though he can play third line center. Would he be worth it for the price tag?

You going to make him 2nd line center? Even though he has been seriously declining and injury prone as of late?

I don't see the benefit of Briere. Unless of course your being facetious, which could be the case.

Briere has played RW from time to time in Philly.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I like him better on the wing. But his ability to play center, is a plus in case Stepan or Brassard go down, as Boyle/Miller etc won't have to play 2C. I don't think he'll be that expensive, certainly cheaper than Ryder, another RH PP guy.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I don't want Vanek another non physical forward in top 6 NYR don't need. Rather pay a bit more for Kane or Pacioretty who plays chippy at times... Rangers need more grit in their top 6 even after if the resign Clowe. The top 6 forwards are too soft and don't play like their size like Nash, Boyle... I guess some fans like non physical skilled forwards.. NYR need more grit with skill... guys like E.Kane D.Brown D.Backes as examples. Those type of players.

If E. Kane or Pacioretty get traded, their old teams' GM should immediately be fired. Neither is happening. As for Vanek, he's one of the few players who can actually produce at a high level who will likely be available. Whether he's physical or not shouldn't be much of a concern. The Rangers need scorers and beggars can't be choosers.

BTW - Vanek: 7 goals in 10 games over the last two Sabres post-seasons.

Last edited:

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I like him better on the wing. But his ability to play center, is a plus in case Stepan or Brassard go down, as Boyle/Miller etc won't have to play 2C. I don't think he'll be that expensive, certainly cheaper than Ryder, another RH PP guy.

I don't understand the love for Briere. 49 points in 70 games two seasons ago and 16 in 34 this past season. We don't need to acquire a 40 point scorer who'll be 36 by the time next season starts.

Stop the madness!

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

"Those type of players." Like who? Who is available that's like "those type of players"?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't understand the love for Briere. 49 points in 70 games two seasons ago and 16 in 34 this past season. We don't need to acquire a 40 point scorer who'll be 36 by the time next season starts.

Stop the madness!
The fact that he's 36 and not 30 means he'll likely be getting a 2 year deal instead of a 7 year deal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

That's insane. Vanek is an elite goal scorer.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If E. Kane or Pacioretty get traded, their old teams' GM should immediately be fired. Neither is happening. As for Vanek, he's one of the few players who can actually produce at a high level who will likely be available. Whether he's physical or not shouldn't be much of a concern. The Rangers need scorers and beggars can't be choosers.

BTW - Vanek: 7 goals in 10 games over the last two post-seasons.

I don't think Buffalo made the playoffs in either of the past two seasons?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Bottom line is this team has too many "average core guys" and not enough "high end talent" that can pot goals when needed. It's like the team has a lot of very high "grade B" players that are great contributors and bring lots to the table including chemistry, hockey IQ, work ethic, and grit but we definitely need a forward who can flat out finish.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
When you look at the teams that have either WON the CUP or been in the position to win it for the last several years ... Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, LA, Anaheim, or Vancouver. They are all have deep talented lines. It's not just about having an excellent goalie and a few good players, depth is very very important in today's NHL.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
i said it last night, you can't trade your way out of a bad system.
This puck support system is not working and won't work anymore. Teams have figured out its weakness.
Get the puck to the rangers D zone, cycle the puck, eventually all 5 players will be around the puck, pass it across the ice, where the dman can take unmolested shots at Hank.
If the Rangers eventually get the puck, they will clear the zone along the walls, crowd the walls, get the puck.
rinse and repeat.
If they manage to successfully clear the zone, they are too tired from chasing the puck in their own zone to sustain any offense most of the time.
Please tell me which player(s) on any other team can make this system work?

Well said!

Wolfpack21

Dec 14, 2008
Ranger fan in Jersey
So as it stands right now in my mind

Nash - Stepan - Callahan
Zuc - Brassard - Hagelin
Krieder - Boyle - Pyatt
Asham - Powe - Dorsett

McD - Girardi
Stralman - Moore
Del Zotto - Eminger

King
Biron

Hopefully not still injured but I left them out cause well who knows for sure

Staal - Sauer
(Hopefully Powe and Stralmans injuries aren't that serious)

Possible let go to free agency or buyout

Clowe and Richards

Possible Kids

McIlrath
Lindberg
Miller
Fast

Salary Cap with my current lineup is roughly $41,215,000 (only for lineup I have)
And that doesn't include Stepan, Hagelin, Zuc, McDonagh, Eminger, (Staal or Sauer).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Ok so if we can nab Vanek what do we give him? He's 29 and it would be in typical Ranger fashion to give him a lot of many and a lot of years

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vanek has another year left on his contract before he becomes a group III. As if the Rangers cap situation is challenging enough.....Some of fan base never learns. Top heavy team. Big names.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
And how would we quire these young star forwards?

Take del Zotto, some fourth liners, maybe a 7th round pick and a bag of pucks?

Punxrocknyc19*

Yeah, "Those type of players" happen to be the type of players that don't get traded

those are the type of players NYR hasnt had since Adam Graves although some would say Dubinsky..... :help: it seems like every other team can get their gritty skilled forwards except NYR... too bad Callahan isnt 6'2 210... if Sather should have added forwards with size and skill at the deadline besides Ryan Clowe.... Clowe is the only legit skilled forward with toughness who knows if he will come back... :help: i like getting Dorsett but he seems like a dumb hockey player at times although a small upgrade from Prust but does take stupid penalties

Ducks have Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan
Bruins Lucic Marchand Horton
Kings have Brown Richards Carter
Flyers have Giroux Hartnell
Canucks have Burrows and Kesler
Blues have Backes Oshie Stewart

Rangers have the smallest top 6 in the eastern conference except the Habs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad